Fly be bicycle carriage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GKATHOME

Fly be bicycle carriage

Post by GKATHOME »

Hi flying Belfast to Inverness in May.Has anyone experience with transporting bicycle with flybe?
Thanks.
whoof

Re: Fly be bicycle carriage

Post by whoof »

I have used fly be from Exeter to Bergerac return. On the way out the bike was in a cardboard box from a cycle shop on the way back wrapped in a tarpaulin. No problems in either direction. The bike was pre-booked as Sporting Goods in advance.

Did you know that Fly BE has just been taken over by Virgin and will probably now be using their terms and conditions.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Booked flight to Bergerac the day before their announcement. Oh well, may have to be Easijet to Bordeaux instead!
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

I've just booked an organised ride from St Malo to Nice. Pretty much the only option for flying to the start of the holiday is with Flybe. I have flown with my bike several times on Easy Jet, who ask you to book your bike in advance for a fee. Flybe, though, say that bikes can't be booked in advance, you pay for them at the airport and it is on a standby basis - if the aircraft would be overloaded they won't take your bike.

I'm not sure that this is a risk I want to take as it would seriously mess up my plans if they didn't take my bike. Flybe say that if that happens they will put your bike on the next flight, but that would be no good to me. I'm wondering whether to ask the tour company for a hire bike, though I would much rather take my own.

Has anyone ever had a problem with Flybe declining to take their bike? Or have any idea what the risk would be of this happening?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve flown with them a few times. I gather that some of their caution is due to the smaller size of aircraft eg going to the Scottish islands so if you’re on one of the bigger ones likely to be no problem unless your whole cycling club is going somewhere together.

Our policy has always been to turn up super early and we’ve never had a problem. when loading us onto the back of the plane we’ve seen the bikes in the luggage bay next to the Doors. Check what size of plane you’ll be on as that should give you some comfort. Their helpline is usually nice too.

Been to Ireland with them and the Netherlands a couple of times. I’ve used them more widely without the bike and I’m hoping the amalgamation with virgin will go ok. They already had code shares with virgin but sad to lose a local company.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

MrsHJ wrote:I’ve flown with them a few times. I gather that some of their caution is due to the smaller size of aircraft eg going to the Scottish islands......

Well, they no longer fly to any Scottish islands so that rules out that excuse, dare say they still use some smaller aircraft elsewhere though.
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's usually an issue only on the Dash 8 Q400 turboprop. However they are typically also used heavily on their business routes (e.g Southampton-Amsterdam) where even a full plane has little baggage. I think Flybe are cautious about what they promise - midweek flights away from holidays are most probably fine.