SIM card and plans -Finland??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

SIM card and plans -Finland??

Post by Woodtourer »

So as we start the planning process I am wondering about the above? Anyone have suggestions for a company that will cover Europe as we start in Finland?
Thanks!
rfryer

Re: SIM card and plans -Finland??

Post by rfryer »

I use EE (in the UK), and they have free roaming in European countries, including Finland. However, I believe that this is common with many, possibly all, of the other networks.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

We used EE last year while in Europe and it worked great. But we live in the US and got the card/plan in Portsmouth. Not sure if we can get one long distance. I will contact them.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

It may be worth researching whether any of the US companies are moving over to roam anywhere plans? I realise there’d be less demand than in the UK person where many people are likely to visit Europe sometimes but I’m looking at taking a Three plan when I go to the USA. That was helpfully recommended by someone on here as an alternative to getting a USA SIM and does roaming in 71 countries.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

There are no roaming charges in the EU anymore, so in theory any EU provider should work. However, given the nature of Finland, it might be better to find out the best provider there and make sure that your provider has a reciprocal arrangement (if not using the Finnish provider).

Also, just bear in mind that with Brexit looming on the horizon, nothing is certain in relation to UK services going into the EU and vice versa.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

MrsHJ, I looked at the Three website but it appears that the only way I can ask them any questions is to call. No way to email or call.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Woodtourer wrote:MrsHJ, I looked at the Three website but it appears that the only way I can ask them any questions is to call. No way to email or call.

IIRC they have live chat, don't they?

ETA
Here: https://www.three.co.uk/support/contact ... thing-else
hufty

Post by hufty »

HobbesOnTour wrote:There are no roaming charges in the EU anymore, so in theory any EU provider should work. However, given the nature of Finland, it might be better to find out the best provider there and make sure that your provider has a reciprocal arrangement (if not using the Finnish provider).

Also, just bear in mind that with Brexit looming on the horizon, nothing is certain in relation to UK services going into the EU and vice versa.

There are threads elsewhere on this forum for people to argue the toss about Brexit so please don't hijack this thread anybody, but just to point out to Woodtourer that 3, EE, Vodafone and O2 have all said they won't introduce roaming charges after Brexit so I would work on the assumption that you'll be okay. Also to say you can buy UK sim cards on eBay (with or without credit preloaded) and someone might be willing to post one out to the US if you emailed and asked.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Chat seems to only be available to current customer's as they require a number.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thought I would ask again!
Thanks!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

HobbesOnTour wrote:There are no roaming charges in the EU anymore, so in theory any EU provider should work. However, given the nature of Finland, it might be better to find out the best provider there and make sure that your provider has a reciprocal arrangement (if not using the Finnish provider).

Unfortunately this is the work of interfering EU rules affecting UK Sovereignty and one of the things that we have voted out of.

If we leave with a "No Deal" then at the moment there is no guarantee that this will remain the case as it becomes unregulated and it is dwn to the deals that individual companies make with the providers in each country.

There is the possibility that each country may have its own tariffs!

Some companies have however said that there are no immediate plans to change (see bold)

After March 2019 if there’s no deal
In the event that we leave the EU without a deal, the costs that EU mobile operators would be able to charge UK operators for providing roaming services would no longer be regulated after March 2019. This would mean that surcharge-free roaming when you travel to the EU could no longer be guaranteed.

However, the government would legislate to ensure that the requirements on mobile operators to apply a financial limit on mobile data usage while abroad is retained in UK law. The limit would be set at £45 per monthly billing period, as at present (currently €50 under EU law). The government would also legislate, subject to parliamentary approval, to ensure the alerts at 80% and 100% data usage continue.

Leaving without a deal would not prevent UK mobile operators making and honouring commercial arrangements with mobile operators in the EU - and beyond the EU - to deliver the services their customers expect, including roaming arrangements. The availability and pricing of mobile roaming in the EU would be a commercial question for the mobile operators. As a consequence, surcharge-free mobile roaming in the EU may not continue to be standard across every mobile phone package from that point. Roaming may also be offered with different terms and conditions. This might affect the amount of calls that you can make, texts you can send and data you can consume, including applying limits that are less than the amount available in your bundle when you’re in the UK.

However, we should be clear that surcharge-free roaming for UK customers may continue across the EU as now, based on operators’ commercial arrangements. Some mobile operators (3, EE, O2 and Vodafone - which cover over 85% of mobile subscribers) have already said they have no current plans to change their approach to mobile roaming after the UK leaves the EU.

In the event that we leave the EU without a deal, our advice to consumers is to:

check the roaming policies of your mobile operator before you go abroad
consider what your operator is saying about surcharge-free roaming post-EU exit
check your operator’s terms and conditions in detail - particularly if you are a heavy user of mobile services in the EU
be aware of your rights to change mobile operator (“switching”)
be aware that Ofcom rules allow cancellation of your contract free-of-charge if your operator makes certain price increases
know how to turn off your mobile data roaming on your mobile device if you’re worried about being charged for data usage in the EU
ensure you understand the alternatives to using mobile networks when abroad. Wi-Fi is widely available, which would allow you to make calls, send texts and use data for free or with little charge
understand which services might be expensive to use and which are likely to be cheap. For example, streaming live television or sending large video clips (MMS) could be expensive as they use large amounts of data
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

hufty wrote:

There are threads elsewhere on this forum for people to argue the toss about Brexit so please don't hijack this thread anybody, but just to point out to Woodtourer that 3, EE, Vodafone and O2 have all said they won't introduce roaming charges after Brexit so I would work on the assumption that you'll be okay. Also to say you can buy UK sim cards on eBay (with or without credit preloaded) and someone might be willing to post one out to the US if you emailed and asked.

Brexit has wide issues and ignoring them just because it is inconvenient is simply hiding your head in the sand.