West Midlands Trains/London North Western

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

West Midlands Trains/London North Western

Post by Sweep »

NOTE: I changed the title on this thread start on Feb 14 as the two companies seem very similar in their ownership/bike policy.

Anyone used them for longish journeys with a bike?

Their web site seems to say that there is no bike booking as such but implies that they are rather easy going as long as you (quite reasonably) avoid certain very busy trains - which they list.

https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/t ... facilities

If I used them it would be a with an economy fixed train ticket, so clearly important that I can get the bike on the train with me.

Hoping for good news - after my recent nice trip with Chiltern Trains London to Birmingham am becoming rather keener on these sorts of services rather than grappling with Virgin's monstrosity of a bike booking system.
Last edited by Sweep on 14 Feb 2019, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
mjr

Re: West Midlands Trains

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Anyone used them for longish journeys with a bike?

Only for short journeys with a bike (four spaces on a one-car train Nuneaton-Coventry) but I've used mainline services without a bike and they use Desiros which have a bicycle space next to the disabled toilet, the other side of the carriage to the wheelchair spaces, on the right of this pic: https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/56048/ (it cannot be used for wheelchairs else they block the disabled toilet or through passage) - but I think there's stupidly no securing strap on a West Coast Desiro, unlike the Thameslink Desiro City, so you'll have to lean the bike over well and keep near enough to catch it if the train sways over points, or strap it to a folded seat yourself.

Bottom line is 4 bikes would fit easily, maybe more, every 4 cars, plus I suspect West Midlands take a similar relaxed attitude to bikes in the unused doorways as other commuter operators, as long as you move them from side to side if the platform changes sides.

Edit: I see now that the mainline Desiro services are branded as London NorthWestern not West Midlands Trains. In case it matters, most of the West Midlands Trains seem to be Sprinters or Turbostars (4 bikes per train AFAICT) or Birmingham Hunslet 323s (Chiltern-style high-density interiors - stand 1 or 2 bikes stood near each doors).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks mjr.

Yes it is confusing. I twigged this complication about the same time as you - my reply disappeared.

Even though the national rail planner gave me the opportunity to online book an economically priced ticket London to Crewe (journey I am interested in at the moment) with West Midlands Trains it does seem that that service is run by differently coloured/branded trains called London North Western.

Fair to assume that their cycle carriage terms are actually the same?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Used them a couple of times to save riding through/round Birmingham, Redditch>Lichfield, late morning and early evening, don't think I've used them for anything else. No issues, bike by the toilets against the wall, both times I was first bike on and a couple of others have been on and off (This service stops everywhere!), some put alongside mine, others stayed by the doors.
If I used them it would be a with an economy fixed train ticket, so clearly important that I can get the bike on the train with me.

I understand that in the unlikely event that you can't get your bike on, you can then use your ticket for the next train with available space.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Just checked London North Western, their other paint job.

Sounds like a similar bike set-up - in fact probably just a cut and paste job.

https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.c ... facilities
Sweep
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have never had a problem with the bike on WM trains as one of the main companies serving Worcester I often use them.

One example; last September whilst on a short 4 day tour I received an urgent phone call to return home quickly. At the time I was 8 miles from Rugby at 3.30 in the afternoon. As you can guess at that time of day both WM trains I used from Rugby to Worcester via Bham were packed with passengers. My loaded bike was allowed on the trains with no complaint that I heard from the other passengers. The guard on the first train could not have been more helpful and I didn't see on at all on the second train.

Hope this puts the OP mind at ease.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks bikepacker - economy fixed price tickets seem to be available quite late on London North Western as well. Yes the train is a lot slower than Virgin's but then I waste lots of time every time I try to book a bike on Virgin at any sort of reasonable fare, so all in a all, seems like a win.
Sweep
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

As others have said, they're all AFAIK of the bike spaces by the loos type. If you're travelling at a commuter peak time you may well find people sat on the flip-up seats there, but equally unless the train's absolutely rammed there isn't normally a problem with having your bike in the vestibule.

For going to/from Brum I prefer the Chiltern trains unless I have to get there at peak times - they're quicker and generally comfier, but the London Northwestern service seems to have more peak advance fares* (and has the cheaper off-peak walk-up fares).

*Or perhaps the Chiltern/Virgin services are just more popular - as you noted, you can generally get cheap advance fares later on LNW.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks jacob.

Life can be rather simple if you aren't in a hurry/happy to enjoy the journey.
Sweep
Sweep

Re: West Midlands Trains/London North Western

Post by Sweep »

Update

Changed the title on this thread start today to incorporate London Northwestern as the two companies are clearly associated/similar in many respects.

Update - travelled to Crewe from London Euston on a Saturday with London North Western very recently.

And back again.

Cost £9 each way and only booked a couple of weeks or so in advance.

Experience very positive and I would recommend.

Yes, slower than Virgin but then overall I save time as booking a bike with virgin with a fare at any sort of reasonable price is a terrible fag and involves a longish round trip on a bike to get to a ticket office - and then I have to hope that the ticket office person (not blaming them) can navigate the appalling bike booking system.

Booked myself on a fixed time train, no need to book the bike. Designated marked bike/wheelchair space on each train take two bikes. Quite easy to find as I gather that the trains tend to have four carriages. No securing straps though that I could see. I understand from speaking to the nice train staff though that they are pretty easy going though and will try to accommodate more if need be - check their web page for certain peak hour restrictions.

Easy to get on and off the trains with a fully loaded bike.

Trains perfectly smooth and comfortable - no penalty there.

I will be using them a fair bit in future I think. Quite often go from London to the north with a bike and rather than deal with Virgin's bike booking again I think I would rather just book (not too far in advance) an economy ticket with London North Western to Crewe, Stafford or Stoke, roll up, take it easy, then pedal the rest of the way.
Sweep
1982john

Post by 1982john »

My only advice with london north western would be to avoid rush hour. ther than that I'ts always been easy enough.

Though they have no dedicated bike space. Its just a case of fold down seats. If someones sitting there you have the choice of asking them to move or keeping the bike in the doorway...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

1982john wrote:My only advice with london north western would be to avoid rush hour. ther than that I'ts always been easy enough.

Though they have no dedicated bike space. Its just a case of fold down seats. If someones sitting there you have the choice of asking them to move or keeping the bike in the doorway...

Yes they could do with some sort of securing system.
I may contact them to ask if it is possible.
I wouldn't be shy about politely asking someone to move if there were alternative seats. Have done it before in similar trains, no problem.
Yes you can't use some peak trains (perfectly reasonable) but I will be travelling off peak anyway. On my two trips I felt that I had more room/train more chilled than Virgin anyway.

Modern train tech has definitely made a massive difference to the comfort of stopping service trains, apart from some of the truly appalling rolling stock some northerners have to put up with.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Modern train tech has definitely made a massive difference to the comfort of stopping service trains, apart from some of the truly appalling rolling stock some northerners have to put up with.

...much of which is getting replaced this year, as I understand the appalling Pacers and single-car Sprinters cannot be adapted to allow everyone to use them and some equality law has a 2020 deadline. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_(train_operating_company)#Future_fleet
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:Modern train tech has definitely made a massive difference to the comfort of stopping service trains, apart from some of the truly appalling rolling stock some northerners have to put up with.

...much of which is getting replaced this year, as I understand the appalling Pacers and single-car Sprinters cannot be adapted to allow everyone to use them and some equality law has a 2020 deadline. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_(train_operating_company)#Future_fleet

Yes, after many delays I understand that their scrapping is imminent - about time too- the south would never have put up with rattling noisy tin crates - like something from the third world or eastern europe circa 1957 - was extremely lucky to manage to manhandle my loaded bike up their awful steps a few times at Manchester and Preston. And even a trip of less than 30 miles was torture. I look forward to the new ones.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr wrote:

Of course, ScotRail are adopting some of the single-car Sprinters to be bike and luggage carriages. Would that more operators followed suit!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides