What better than doing the coast to coast?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PM999

Re: What better than doing the coast to coast?

Post by PM999 »

Another coast to coast option would be the Reivers route between Whitehaven and Tynemouth, giving similar train options as the C2C. We did it last year as a return route from the C2C. (C2C west to east, return Reivers east to west). Reivers climbs were nowhere near as taxing as those on the C2C (the C2C out of Stanhope on Crawleybankside into a major headwind was a beast), and the ride goes through pleasant borders countryside on quiet roads. Kielder Forest was a good place to explore (we had a day off and met friends) and the dark sky observatory there was a treat. (You might need to check exactly what is open in March). Planner here http://reivers-route.co.uk/

edit - possibly slightly better planner here http://www.cyclenorthumberland.org.uk/listing/The-Reivers-Cycle-Route-NCN-Route-10

Paul
MrsHJ

Re: Who has done this?

Post by MrsHJ »

Onefourseven wrote:Ah sorry I'm northern, when we talk about c2c we assume it's St Bees to Tynemouth or a version of it.

I’m doing a coast to coast in the US but it’s just a bigger trip- same principles.

Anyway in your plans- I’d just do the coast to coast, 40 miles a day, nice pubs in the evening and see how it goes. If you have excess energy you can always get some walking etc in and if you have some time at the other end fit some day rides in. Generally I find myself less willing to do as big mileages in the cooler months- best to leave it a bit later in the morning to start and get in before it’s dark. It gives some flexibility for holding up somewhere if the weather is atrocious too. Of corse it’s your trip and YMMV -have fun.
Tiberius

Re: Who has done this?

Post by Tiberius »

foxyrider wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Onefourseven wrote: I'm aware that east to west is likely to be hard work due to the wind.

Maybe.

I did my own version of C2C in late May last year. Morecambe to Scarborough (as in west to east) Head wind all the way.

But that's May, the wind blows the other way in the winter!

Maybe.
Onefourseven

Post by Onefourseven »

Thanks it's been good to get the views of experienced cyclists, the three day option one way looks more likely and from Whitehaven via Hadrians Wall route also an option.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Onefourseven wrote:Hello, this is my first post having only got into cycling last year. I've had a go at few things to test the water like a time trial, track racing (got lapped more than once) and a triathlon . I've got some holidays I need to take soon so what better than doing the coast to coast?
Problem is I/We are doing it in March and we want to make a week of it by cycling the return journey, so as the topic title says...have many of you cycled both ways and/or in winter? Am I mental and any tips? I'm aware that east to west is likely to be hard work due to the wind. Thanks.
Hi 147. Can't say about the March timeline but a couple of years back I did a circular of the Hadrian's Cycleway and back on the C2C. I wrote about it here

http://www.richmay.co.uk/c2c/

Cheers
Onefourseven

Post by Onefourseven »

A great read and some achievement. You used the words hill and steep a bit too much for my liking on the return journey. I live in Maryport so Workington to the east coast on The Hadrians Cycleway is becoming the favoured route. I've got a mountain bike and a road bike so was going to use the road bike , are there any off-road sections?
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Onefourseven wrote:A great read and some achievement. You used the words hill and steep a bit too much for my liking on the return journey. I live in Maryport so Workington to the east coast on The Hadrians Cycleway is becoming the favoured route. I've got a mountain bike and a road bike so was going to use the road bike , are there any off-road sections?

Cheers :-) Hadrian's is certainly a lot less hilly than C2C - there is nothing close to Hartside, Whinlatter or Crawleyside. Its not flat (well the eastern side is pretty flat whilst following the Tyne valley) but they are all nice and 'rolling' on the whole.

My bike has 32 tyres so a road bike but quite wide compared to many. I can't vouch for the section east of Carlisle that I never managed to complete but I think it was mostly on roads so far as I recall. The Wylam Waggonway was, as I recall a decent surface. Might not be all tarmac but I'm pretty sure it was a good surface
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

A shakedown ride or 2 will tell you a lot of what you need to do. Pick a place 60 miles away, cycle there, stay overnight and cycle back on the bike and carrying the gear you plan to use.

That's about the best advice I've heard Re ab initio tourers (me, for starters.) and a trip or two should tell you if touring/packing is your cup of tea.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Paulatic wrote:Am I alone here?
I find it very distracting when the terms C2C ( sea to sea) or coast to coast are used quite wildly. Unless otherwise stated and especially when referring to crossing in the Northern half of England can we please stick to what is normally recognised.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/coast-c ... ternatives

My understanding is the OP is intending to ride the C2C :D In March which cold be cold, sunny and very pleasant. Or blowing a hoolie, hailstones, or six foot drifts on Hartside. The weather is so variable in March I would hate to endure 60 mls just because the accommodation is booked ahead. I certainly wouldn’t consider camping but I’d make myself aware of who is going to be open for business and book ahead on the day only.

Could easily be much higher than 6foot snow drifts!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi
I did C2C in September last year 2 days from morcombe north into the lakes. Hardknott pass down into pooley bridge for early lunch. Over to Kirkby Stephen for afternoon tea, big climb up into the dales to Reeth yha.
Day two via Richmond and catterick to Whitby and finally to Scarborough to complete the double century.

Doing it over 4 days would be great less - stress and tiredness. Allow you to stop and sight see.

Going to do it in a day late spring, morcombe to Scarborough in prep for my lejog this year.

Cheers James
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Simply allow for the weather, take precautions and be sensible

Large swathes of the C2C are open moorland (Rookhope Common) for instance, and getting caught without safety gear is unhealthy

Having said that, I have cycled the C2C, Coast and Castles and Hadrian's Wall in March with no problems ... in fact the year I cycled the Hadrian's Wall I ws sending cold weather gear back home
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The OP hasn’t been back but I hope he’s not set off this morning.
Heavy snow in the Eden Valley this morning #Cumbria #uksnow Nice big flakes too and settling above 200m mark approx. Otherwise wet snow at lower altitude
@BBC_Cumbria#
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info