What better than doing the coast to coast?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Onefourseven

What better than doing the coast to coast?

Post by Onefourseven »

Hello, this is my first post having only got into cycling last year. I've had a go at few things to test the water like a time trial, track racing (got lapped more than once) and a triathlon . I've got some holidays I need to take soon so what better than doing the coast to coast?
Problem is I/We are doing it in March and we want to make a week of it by cycling the return journey, so as the topic title says...have many of you cycled both ways and/or in winter? Am I mental and any tips? I'm aware that east to west is likely to be hard work due to the wind. Thanks.
Last edited by Graham on 19 Jan 2019, 10:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
armadillo

Re: Who has done this?

Post by armadillo »

Which coast to coast?

(I think the Devon one would be my choice in March!)
Onefourseven

Post by Onefourseven »

Ah sorry I'm northern, when we talk about c2c we assume it's St Bees to Tynemouth or a version of it.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Onefourseven wrote:Ah sorry I'm northern, when we talk about c2c we assume it's St Bees to Tynemouth or a version of it.

Go one way with the wind then train back!

Doesn't make you less of a rider, just a sensible rider.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Onefourseven

Post by Onefourseven »

foxyrider wrote:
Onefourseven wrote:Ah sorry I'm northern, when we talk about c2c we assume it's St Bees to Tynemouth or a version of it.

Go one way with the wind then train back!

Doesn't make you less of a rider, just a sensible rider.

Thanks, I think my body will point my brain to the railway station when I get there, I liked the idea of four days cycling though.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

From https://cycle.travel/route/c2c
"Four days is standard. Three days is fine for the experienced cyclist, but the second day is gruelling with a succession of beastly climbs. Consider taking five days or more, and really enjoying the countryside. Only the superhuman will attempt two or (shudder) one days."

Based on that a week to do a return trip might be optimistic.

If this is your first tour, I'd suggesting erring on the side of caution and not overextend yourself.

What will you do for accommodation? How loaded will you be? Camping will mean heavier gear than hotels/ B&Bs.
Cycling day after day, even for only 4 or 5 days can take a lot out of you if you're not used to it, especially at that time of the year.
Cold and wet are your enemies.Shorter days too mean that you can be under more pressure to make your destination before nightfall.

No reason a one way trip can't be done enjoyably with a bit of foresight & planning and some decent gear. `
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm taking a week to do the Hadrian's Wall Cycleway. I'm taking a week because:

I'm cycling from the Borders to Hexham
Train to Carlisle/Whitehaven
Cycle west to east then train back to the borders.
I want to spend some time looking at various parts of the wall: that is part of cycle touring to me.
John
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Onefourseven wrote: I'm aware that east to west is likely to be hard work due to the wind.

Maybe.

I did my own version of C2C in late May last year. Morecambe to Scarborough (as in west to east) Head wind all the way.
Onefourseven

Post by Onefourseven »

HobbesOnTour wrote:From https://cycle.travel/route/c2c
"Four days is standard. Three days is fine for the experienced cyclist, but the second day is gruelling with a succession of beastly climbs. Consider taking five days or more, and really enjoying the countryside. Only the superhuman will attempt two or (shudder) one days."

Based on that a week to do a return trip might be optimistic.

If this is your first tour, I'd suggesting erring on the side of caution and not overextend yourself.

What will you do for accommodation? How loaded will you be? Camping will mean heavier gear than hotels/ B&Bs.
Cycling day after day, even for only 4 or 5 days can take a lot out of you if you're not used to it, especially at that time of the year.
Cold and wet are your enemies.Shorter days too mean that you can be under more pressure to make your destination before nightfall.

No reason a one way trip can't be done enjoyably with a bit of foresight & planning and some decent gear. `

Hmm not sure what to do now. Sounds like four successive days of 60 miles plus is extreme for a first attempt, three days of 40 miles plus and train back not particularly taxing . The plan was to stay on the west side of Hartside on the way there and the east side on the way back thereby travelling light and doing the hard graft in the morning so as not to be tempted to walk up the climb at the end of each day.
thirdcrank

Re: What better than doing the coast to coast?

Post by thirdcrank »

If you search on Hadrian there's quite a lot about this route.

This from former forum member Manx Cat may be interesting as it involves similar timescales to yours although it's now a bit dated. (Unfortunately, Manx Cat left the forum after being hurt by some comment about the IoM.)
viewtopic.php?p=121395#p121395
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Onefourseven wrote:Hmm not sure what to do now. Sounds like four successive days of 60 miles plus is extreme for a first attempt, three days of 40 miles plus and train back not particularly taxing . The plan was to stay on the west side of Hartside on the way there and the east side on the way back thereby travelling light and doing the hard graft in the morning so as not to be tempted to walk up the climb at the end of each day.

A shakedown ride or 2 will tell you a lot of what you need to do. Pick a place 60 miles away, cycle there, stay overnight and cycle back on the bike and carrying the gear you plan to use.

For me, touring at that time of the year is very weather dependant. Wind/Rain/Cold have to be suffered if big mileage is expected. Shorter days gives more flexibility to avoid the worst. Or more time to recover! :D Doubly so if camping.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tiberius wrote:
Onefourseven wrote: I'm aware that east to west is likely to be hard work due to the wind.

Maybe.

I did my own version of C2C in late May last year. Morecambe to Scarborough (as in west to east) Head wind all the way.

But that's May, the wind blows the other way in the winter!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Paulatic

Re: What better than doing the coast to coast?

Post by Paulatic »

Am I alone here?
I find it very distracting when the terms C2C ( sea to sea) or coast to coast are used quite wildly. Unless otherwise stated and especially when referring to crossing in the Northern half of England can we please stick to what is normally recognised.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/coast-c ... ternatives

My understanding is the OP is intending to ride the C2C :D In March which cold be cold, sunny and very pleasant. Or blowing a hoolie, hailstones, or six foot drifts on Hartside. The weather is so variable in March I would hate to endure 60 mls just because the accommodation is booked ahead. I certainly wouldn’t consider camping but I’d make myself aware of who is going to be open for business and book ahead on the day only.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Oldjohnw wrote: I want to spend some time looking at various parts of the wall: that is part of cycle touring to me.

That's very much my approach to touring too. For me, the joy of touring on a bicycle (or tricycle) is that there's no barrier between you and the people you meet along the way. It's a journey not a race :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

armadillo wrote:Which coast to coast?

(I think the Devon one would be my choice in March!)

Too hard. I'm hoping to do the Cornish one! Devoran to Porth-summat.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.