Pilgrims Way to Chatham

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Norman H

Pilgrims Way to Chatham

Post by Norman H »

I'm planning a circular tour of Kent in a few weeks time and was intending to join the Pilgrims Way at Dunn Street near Wye and leaving it shortly after Detling, to head North to the Medway YH Nr Chatham.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's ridden this section with a touring load. Also if anyone has an alternative to Lidsing Road for accessing the YH. I've been advised by by Gaz that it's not very cycle friendly.
gaz

Re: Pilgrims Way to Chatham

Post by gaz »

A reasonable amount of the off-road sections for that part of your route correspond to the North Downs Way. That's been streetviewed so you can take a look at what you are letting yourself in for.

As far as Lidsing Road is concerned, it is the section that climbs up the scarp face of the North Downs that presents an issue because of the impatience of rat-running motorists. From the top to the hostel it's predominantly down hill with better lines of sight, that stretch won't be unpleasant outside peak commuting times.

The alternatives heading to Medway YH are to climb the scarp face after crossing the A249, either by way of the footway on the west side of the main carriageway (tarmac surfaced, unlikely to meet any peds) or the North Downs Way itself (steep, flinty byway - I'd be walking) and then follow the NDW (bridleway, comparable to the better off road bits you'll already have ridden) along the top of the downs to Lidsing Road.

Edit: Map
SOL.png
Last edited by gaz on 20 Jan 2019, 10:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norman H

Re: Pilgrims Way to Chatham

Post by Norman H »

Thanks once again for that Gaz. Yes, I looked at the footway alongside the A249, presumably that would only be for a few hundred metres to access Scragged Oak Road and then via Bredhurst. It looks as though it might depend on what time we arrive, which in turn might depend on our progress on the off road sections. I guess if we have a plan B we can make a decision on the day.

With regards the off road sections, it's mud that would most concern me. We're fairly flexible on the start date so may delay a week or two if the next few weeks are especially wet.