Sweden - any bike rules/laws I need to be aware of?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Sweden - any bike rules/laws I need to be aware of?

Post by foxyrider »

Regulars may have picked up that i'm planning a tour of southern Sweden in late summer. I'm starting to pull stuff together but it occurred to me that there might be rules that I need to be aware of. Antone know or point me in the right direction please?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
teamonster

Re: Sweden - any bike rules/laws I need to be aware of?

Post by teamonster »

My local cycle map in Uppsala, https://www.uppsala.se/contentassets/7c ... 8-webb.pdf has a handy list of cycling infractions and fines in SEK (divide by @11 to give you rough idea of £). Also shows a few road signs you might want to know

Cykla mot enkelriktning 500:- (Riding wrong way on one way street)
Cykla på trottoaren 500:- (cycling on pavement)
Inte stanna för rött trafikljus 1500:- (not stopping for Red light) - note cycle paths usually have separate lights at shared pedestrian crossings
Inte väja för gående på övergångsställe 1500:-
Inte stanna vid stopplikt 1500:- (Not stopping at stop line)
Skjutsa annan vuxen 500:-/person (giving someone a backy on the bike - per person)
Belysning saknas i mörker, fram 500:- (no front light - at night)
Belysning saknas i mörker, bak 500:- (no rear light at night)
Ringklocka saknas/ur funktion 500:- (No bell or not working bell)
Effektiv färdbroms saknas 500:- ( non working/missing brakes)
Reflexer saknas i mörker 500: (no reflectors at night)

BTW - I've never seen anyone pulled up for these, although I can imagine if you ever saw a policeman whilst riding on pavements other than cycle paths or at night with no lights, might get you in trouble .

As far as I'm aware, there are not any laws regarding hi viz and helmets - nor a requirement to use bike paths, although where the exist most people use them as they tend to be wide and well looked after. Cycling on motorways is forbidden - which makes sense. I'm not an expert on Swedish Road Traffic Laws, so others may wish to add correct, but I've done a lot of cycling in and around Uppsala County and up some up North and have pretty much stuck to the common sense rules I apply in the UK and had no trouble. I don't know what it's like down South in Sweden, but on my visits I never see many Police on the streets/roads - mind you you will be in "Wallander" Country and if you have seen any of the TV series you'll know it's a bit like Midsummer Murders down there, lots of grisly murders to solve rather than harassing cycle tourists !
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems helmets are compulsory for children, but only their parents are liable to the fine (SEK500)
https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1017.html
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

thirdcrank wrote:It seems helmets are compulsory for children, but only their parents are liable to the fine (SEK500)

Yep - Just to add to my earlier post - this is translated section from the Swedish Transport agency site (Apologies done using Google translate - so for Alarm clock read bell ! and not sure about the shooting children section, should read transporting !!!)

Rules for the bike
Here you can read about what you need on your bike to drive and what rules apply.

What does the law say?
By law, a bike must always have

alarm clock (there is no requirement for how it should look or sound)
brake
Lighting and reflections are only required when traveling in the dark. Bicycles led by pedestrians or during daytime driving are not covered by the requirements.

A bike should have:

a lantern at the rear that can show red light backwards and clearly visible at a distance of 300 meters. The tail light may be of a flashing type if it flashes at least 200 flashes / minute.
front-end headlamps capable of emitting white or yellow light with brightness such that the vehicle can be safely operated in the dark, or
a lantern at the front that can show white or yellow light forward and clearly visible at a distance of 300 meters.
red reflex at the back,
white reflex at the front and,
white or orange yellow aside.
A switched bicycle trailer should have a red reflector backwards or a rear light that can show red light backwards if reflex is missing.

More detailed information on the equipment requirements for lighting and reflections on a bicycle can be found in the Swedish Transport Agency's regulations (TSFS 2010: 144) on bicycles, horse vehicles and kick supports.

Requirements for helmet
All children and adolescents under the age of 15 should use a helmet when cycling or biking. So says the law that came into force on January 1, 2005. This also applies if they cycle in a fenced area. Bicycle helmet or other helmet with comparable protective properties can be used. Children and adolescents under the age of 15 who do not use a helmet can be stopped by the police but not fined. Parents or other people who have turned 15 can, on the other hand, be fined if, on their bike, they shoot a child who does not have a bicycle helmet.

There is no requirement to use a bicycle helmet if you use a scooter or a tricycle. These are generally not considered to be a bicycle but a toy vehicle. Toy vehicles are a vehicle that is to be regarded as a toy, according to the Act on Toys' Safety (2011: 579). But of course it is still best to use bicycle helmets anyway.

Remember not to put stickers on the bicycle helmet. It degrades the helmet's protective properties.

Segway and other types of electric vehicles
On October 1, 2010, the law (2001: 559) on road traffic definitions was amended so that the concept of cycle got a wider definition. It happened that certain electrically powered vehicles, such as Segway, must be transported in the traffic. In the market there are various types of electric vehicles intended for a person, such as electric scooters, electric wheelchairs and other vehicles with similar use. One such vehicle is the Segway, which is an alternative to a bicycle and wheelchair for both persons and without disabilities.

These vehicles are mainly intended for use on walking and cycling paths. Through an amendment to the Swedish Transport Agency's regulations on bicycles, horse vehicles and kick supports (2010: 144), the technical requirements for these types of electric vehicles have become the same as for bicycles.

Here you can read more about bicycle with electric assistance.

Imports of bicycles
Those who import bicycles should make sure that the bicycles meet the European standards harmonized under the EU Product Safety Directive 2001/95 / EC.

Where to ride?
You should cycle on the right side of the roadway. If there is a cycle path, you should normally use it. The same applies to two-wheel mopeds class II.

You may, however, ride on the carriageway, even if there is a cycle path, when it is more suitable for the purpose of the journey. If so, you need to be extra careful.

If you want to read more about how to ride a bicycle, see section 3 of section 6 of the traffic regulation.

Bicycle requirements
Equipment requirements: alarm clock, brake (lighting and reflections when driving in the dark).

Requirements for a helmet: Yes, for children and adolescents under the age of 15.

Passengers: Yes, but only if the bike has suitable seats and effective protection against the wheel arches. If you have this you have to have passengers if the following rules are followed: The person traveling with must be under 10 years. You who drive must then be at least 15 years old. You can also have two children under the age of 6 on the bike, but then you must have turned 18.

Driving on a bike path: Yes, if there is. You may, however, ride on the road when it is more suitable for the purpose of the journey. You should run on the right side.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

teamonster wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:It seems helmets are compulsory for children, but only their parents are liable to the fine (SEK500)

Yep - Just to add to my earlier post - this is translated section from the Swedish Transport agency site (Apologies done using Google translate - so for Alarm clock read bell ! and not sure about the shooting children section, should read transporting !!!)

Rules for the bike
Here you can read about what you need on your bike to drive and what rules apply.

What does the law say?
By law, a bike must always have

alarm clock (there is no requirement for how it should look or sound)

brake
Lighting and reflections are only required when traveling in the dark. Bicycles led by pedestrians or during daytime driving are not covered by the requirements.

Is there a requirement for what time it should be set to? :D
(I presume it means a bell.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I read some years ago that telephoning while driving was allowed in north Sweden, is that true?
-99 if so
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I read some years ago that telephoning while driving was allowed in north Sweden, is that true?
-99 if so

Was allowed in Sweden until Feb last year - now illegal to use mobile for calls or text unless hands free. That said, the use of phones in cars is still pretty widespread
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Thanks Teamonster, very helpful.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

teamonster wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I read some years ago that telephoning while driving was allowed in north Sweden, is that true?
-99 if so

Was allowed in Sweden until Feb last year - now illegal to use mobile for calls or text unless hands free. That said, the use of phones in cars is still pretty widespread

So Sweden was behind the times
What fines are theoretically imposed?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
teamonster wrote:
-99 if so

So Sweden was behind the times
What fines are theoretically imposed?

1500 SEK I think - @£140 - It always struck me as odd to see everyone on the phone in cars. They are so far ahead of us on so many things, but not this.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

To OP's question.
They drive on the right, handy knowledge! :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That is not, to my knowledge, enforced. I've certainly seen plenty of kids riding without them in Sweden, though more kids wear them there than in Norway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Like many European countries, Sweden has 'priority' roads marked by signs with yellow diamonds, and when you are not on a priority road, you must give way to the right at junctions.

Many drivers give way to cyclists, even if they have priority, which can sometimes be awkward or confusing.

The rules on using cycleways are that you can choose the road or the cycleway, as long the speed limit is less than 50 kph. Over 50 kph, and you need to use the cycleway. The only normal exception to that is if the road goes where you want to go, and the cycleway does not. I'm not aware that this is normally enforced.

I will see if I can find Swedish rules of the road...

Found them. I think this is source of teamonster's post
https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/va ... ler/Cykel/
There's also traffic rules for cyclists https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/va ... fikregler/

If your browser doesn't translate, just stick them in google translate. If you want some help / interpretation, just ask. I can read Swedish, and if I don't understand, I can ask a Swedish colleague.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A bit of stereotyping creeping in here but they go for cars built like tanks, presumably to prioritise protecting the occupants. They also value cars being able to swerve round unexpected hazards in the road and have a test whose name I've had to look up: Undanmanöverprov. Neither of those seem to encourage driving within the distance you can see to be clear.
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

Vorpal wrote:
Many drivers give way to cyclists, even if they have priority, which can sometimes be awkward or confusing.

This made me laugh - I’ve lost count of the mini traffic jams I’ve caused as a pedestrian, unsure of why cars have stopped. My wife tells me it’s all quite logical, but I find they give way in unexpected places in urban areas.