Sweden - any bike rules/laws I need to be aware of?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Sweden - any bike rules/laws I need to be aware of?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More rules are needed, clearer rules, not only in Sweden
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

The main one that catches many out is that naked cycling is compulsary!..Enjoy,,,!!.Do not get caught wearing a sneaky thong!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

thirdcrank wrote:A bit of stereotyping creeping in here but they go for cars built like tanks, presumably to prioritise protecting the occupants. They also value cars being able to swerve round unexpected hazards in the road and have a test whose name I've had to look up: Undanmanöverprov. Neither of those seem to encourage driving within the distance you can see to be clear.

I think at least the swerving has to do with unexpected objects in the road - especially moose/elk which can completely ruin your day.

I like Volvos. :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, I think it's colloquially known as the moose test.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:They also value cars being able to swerve round unexpected hazards in the road and have a test whose name I've had to look up: Undanmanöverprov. Neither of those seem to encourage driving within the distance you can see to be clear.

I think at least the swerving has to do with unexpected objects in the road - especially moose/elk which can completely ruin your day.

Bmblbzzz wrote:Yes, I think it's colloquially known as the moose test.

Yes, the 'moose' test.

@thirdcrank .. not about what you can see .. it is the sudden movement of an animal across your path and then they freeze right in front of you.

I have had a goanna going across the road - fine I have allowed for that .. but it sees me and reverses course!
A Kangaroo jumps into the side of my vehicle .. I was do 15 miles an hour! Bright sunshine - clear visibility, but roos are the colour of the landscape - they lie down and resemble rocks.

It is not about 'drive to a distance you can see' but wildlife do their thing without any traffic sense.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Moose test
Mercedes

Much too dangerous to drive there at all unless one has a saab that suddenly turns into an aeroplane :?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Moose test
Mercedes

Much too dangerous to drive there at all unless one has a saab that suddenly turns into an aeroplane :?

The slippery Saab allows the wildlife to slide over rather than the Volvo blunt brick option! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Warin61 wrote: ... Yes, the 'moose' test.

@thirdcrank .. not about what you can see .. it is the sudden movement of an animal across your path and then they freeze right in front of you.

I have had a goanna going across the road - fine I have allowed for that .. but it sees me and reverses course!
A Kangaroo jumps into the side of my vehicle .. I was do 15 miles an hour! Bright sunshine - clear visibility, but roos are the colour of the landscape - they lie down and resemble rocks.

It is not about 'drive to a distance you can see' but wildlife do their thing without any traffic sense.

We did have a thread about a cyclist killed in Australia. IIRC, The driver explained not stopping because he thought he had only hit a kangaroo.
viewtopic.php?p=1276300#p1276300
(With my apologies if you posted on that thread.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

teamonster wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Many drivers give way to cyclists, even if they have priority, which can sometimes be awkward or confusing.

This made me laugh - I’ve lost count of the mini traffic jams I’ve caused as a pedestrian, unsure of why cars have stopped. My wife tells me it’s all quite logical, but I find they give way in unexpected places in urban areas.

Just occurred to me: down here Sweden is portrayed as an almost perfect society, Vision Zero was being adopted there
Has that been abandoned, or is it only for volvo drivers?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vision zero? Big volvos? Just read that there is a lot of gun crime in Malmo and elsewhere, perhaps Sweden is not the promised land
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Vision zero? Big volvos? Just read that there is a lot of gun crime in Malmo and elsewhere, perhaps Sweden is not the promised land

No doubt the Oresund link has made escape easier for the perps!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Vision zero? Big volvos? Just read that there is a lot of gun crime in Malmo and elsewhere, perhaps Sweden is not the promised land

A lot of gun crime!?! Have you been watching too much Wallander?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vorpal wrote:

Or maybe The Bridge!

:lol: :D
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

foxyrider wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Or maybe The Bridge!

:lol: :D

Sweden has its fair share of issues, especially in deprived city areas, but I worry more about catching TBE or Lymes disease when there than gun crime. It may not be the promised land, but it has a lot to recommend it. Great cycling infrastructure, a love of coffee, tea and cakes, gender equality, well insulated houses, long summer days, ABBA, Ikea etc....Oh and great Scandinavian crime dramas, they of course love our crime dramas, bizarrely Midsummer Murders is the real favourite. My mother in law is convinced that’s what the U.K. is like !!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think vision zero is just talk, volvos are getting bigger :(

Murder mysteries are a bit sick, I prefer James Herriot who saved lives instead. Dead funny too