Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Post by nirakaro »

Congratulations. Easy peasy?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Tyre Lady wrote:Trieste has arrived and now setting up :D

Amount of rubbish produced over 22 days can be carried in a paper bag https://www.instagram.com/p/BwnEeCYn-WW ... yjhe1ulgij

Well done! All the best for the rest of the trip. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thanks so much. Seem Trieste has a conscious awakening and maybe am helping them to move forward with deeper lowcarbon zero waste initiatives

https://mujalongasulmar.com/news/tyre-l ... a-trieste/
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
Ollie732

Post by Ollie732 »

Well done, enjoyed following you on Twitter, Facebook and Strava :mrgreen:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Fantastic! Good luck with the running, too :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thanks all. Yes run time is on Saturday evening.... then there is a dinner and dance.... then Sunday will have to be an afternoon start and will try to complete 60k.
Onwards to Geneva

Remind me to go home early on Saturday evening!
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I am pleasantly surprised. It seems you have managed to complete your cycling journey. Well done and good luck with your running race.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Well done!!!

Please tell me a marathon is harder than a long distance cycle ride?!

I've done dozens of marathons but about to do my first lejog! :shock:

Cheers James
Graham

Post by Graham »

Impressive effort. Well done.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

@jamesh the folk on here have helped me a lot. Out of everything I learned- the seat is the most important. Doing a search on this site, I think I got the best one for me from how others reviewed in one of the threads.

Having met others who have a sore butt and me never having suffered from a sore butt - I believe that is down to the seat. I am using a second hand cheap pair of cycle shorts. Others I have met have paid some money for their cycle shorts and still had a sore butt. One thing I noticed is that my seat is a bit softer. All of them had hard seats.

In the beginning I would say my first 7 days was full of mistakes and incompetence.....and am thankful for injecting 4 warm showers to provide advice + do some bike maintenance. However did manage 60miles on my first day 61miles on the second + one puncture, 66miles on third (+lower backache), 172K on fourth (did morning stretches to reduce backache)......I have found the cycling part physically easy. I do find running requires much more exertion except when going uphill lugging about 30 kg in weight. The mind side is so busy I sometimes got lost in the beginning because I forgot to look at the gps and sometimes still do now. Wild camping is awesome....even meeting a wild bore at night!

Anyhow am only half way and have to change the middle housing as some of the teeth are worn causing the chain to drop into a different gear.

Run tomorrow and have 3 wee tyres to pull! But think this event is well on it’s way to promoting zero waste and Low carbon alternatives. Now have helped to create the mujalongaChallenge (a year Long eco-challenge)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Well done Tyre lady.

Reading back on the earliest posts, I think we underestimated your ability and determination, but then again you told us you were a beginner, not a superb athlete.

Enjoy.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

I learned from you all + going thru the information on this site. I am feel I am now a competent beginner and this is my first ever cycle tour. Still learning stuff
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi how did your run go?

I hope it wasn't too got?

I agree with the saddle spent last 3 months breaking in leather saddle and it's now my go to saddle even rolls and turbo are uncomfortable in comparison!

Cheers James
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

The run was really excellent, in fact the whole day was amazing. This event had activities going on right into the night. Also I can say I visited Slovenia as well as the run enters Slovenia! :)

Just looking for some advice. My chain ring has some worn teeth and the model would have to be ordered. Do you think it would be okay to wait until I got to France (after the alps) or even until I got back to the uk?

Here is a link https://instagram.com/p/BwvHMyNg_07/ you will see some of the worn teeth in the picture of the chain ring. (Need to flick past the video and the group photo). The bike mechanic says he thinks with my load it could be dangerous in the alps so I need to change this piece ASAP. I could not wait in Trieste as have to be in Geneva and have about 900km todo over 9 days. Today only managed 30k due to rain, wind and lightning. Called in an early day. So have to do at least 170km tomorrow
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

You'll have to show us a detailed photo of the chainring before we could comment. A video saying how lovely the bike shop owner is doesn't really help. But assuming it was OK when you left UK I can't see that it would deteriorate to that extent so quick;y. What really causes the wear in chainrings is a worn chain and if you had a new chain fitted as part of sprucing up your bike prior to setting off (which I sincerely hope you did) then I doubt that any wear caused by your journey would be noticeable.