Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

Re: Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Post by Jamesh »

I think you should be ok as it's worn but not to the extent of sharks fins which is what they become when really worn.

You could try and use more of the outer and inner rings and the top and bottom cogs but be careful not to go big to big or small to small! Also the inner ring I think is steel so will wear slower than the alloy outer rings.

Only problem then is that you will end up needing a new cassette chain and chainset which will be £££

Cheers James
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think 'dangerous' might be an exaggeration. How is it behaving? If it is slipping, hanging, or shifting poorly now, that will only get worse. If you can't tell, you are likely to at least make it through the alps.

What I might do is either set off & see how it goes, or call ahead to another city en route & see if someone can have a new chain ring ready to go to minimise delay.

Maybe where you will be on Wednesday?

Good luck :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thank you all. @Paula the photo was the 3rd photo in the set after the video and group photo.
Am uncertain how to capture the URL of a specific photo in the set for Instagram
@vorpal the chain has slipped occasionally causing me a little down time as well as the gears were shifting poorly on the medium to easy. This evening I should be in spinea... Wednesday morning there are some bike shops to check into at spinea. Appreciate the responses
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tyre Lady wrote:Thank you all. @Paula the photo was the 3rd photo in the set after the video and group photo.
Am uncertain how to capture the URL of a specific photo in the set for Instagram
@vorpal the chain has slipped occasionally causing me a little down time as well as the gears were shifting poorly on the medium to easy. This evening I should be in spinea... Wednesday morning there are some bike shops to check into at spinea. Appreciate the responses

If nothing else, you can probably avoid the slipping by (mostly) using other rings.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Okey could walk up the hills to avoid the use of the rings for the easiest gears. Am rubbish going uphill anyway :)
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Update: The host am with has found a bike shop can replace with a similar piece though slightly smaller chain rings. Think I will do it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tyre Lady wrote:Update: The host am with has found a bike shop can replace with a similar piece though slightly smaller chain rings. Think I will do it.

Might be no bad thing (most bikes are "overgeared" according to this forum - half of mine were), but make a note of what they take off (maybe ask them to write down what it is) so you can change it back later (possibly when it next wears out) if you do not like the smaller ones.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Smaller chainrings are always good for touring :D We cycle tourists generally have the smallest chainrings which will fit and the largest cassette which we can fit on the back.

Pushing a loaded bicycle uphill is probably harder work than riding it. You end up with a lot of loading on your arms which are far less able to cope with it than your legs (been there, done that :oops: ). The trick is get into a gear where you feel you could go a bit faster if required. Then just pootle along admiring the scenery :) Be prepared for any hairpin bends though as the gradient will increase noticeably on the bend and can be quite ferocious on the inside. So try and stay as far to the outer side of the bend as possible.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Tyre Lady wrote:Update: The host am with has found a bike shop can replace with a similar piece though slightly smaller chain rings. Think I will do it.

Might be no bad thing (most bikes are "overgeared" according to this forum - half of mine were), but make a note of what they take off (maybe ask them to write down what it is) so you can change it back later (possibly when it next wears out) if you do not like the smaller ones.

I think the OP is on a borrowed bike, so that's probably a good idea, in case the owner wants the same again.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Today my brain gave up on me :cry: After changing cycle chain (which I instantly regret as I must carry the old one back) + trying to convince the shops to reuse my bag for bread, I stayed in spinea. Gonna have to do more big days to make up.... target date is 6th April to complete about 700km thru the Swiss alps...

The bike Mechanic did the job + provided the cycle chain for 50euros. Seemed a good deal and My host knows him as had his bike serviced by him. Am mediocre happy as the second bike mechanic changed my derailleur (which was unexpected) The first and third bike mechanics have been great
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Tyre Lady wrote: target date is 6th April to complete about 700km thru the Swiss alps...

You should manage that. I imagine you're taking the Simplon pass? As I recollect, once you get to the top, it's downhill or flat all the way to Geneva.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Check the weather forecast as you plan a route.
The weather in the Alps is expected to turn much colder by the weekend.
Snow to below 1000 meters.!
Many passes are still closed anyway.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tyre Lady wrote:Today my brain gave up on me :cry:

It can happen to anyone! Rest & take the train if you need to. What you have accomplished is amazing; more than many hardened cycle tourists could do.
mjr

Post by mjr »

nirakaro wrote:
Tyre Lady wrote: target date is 6th April to complete about 700km thru the Swiss alps...

You should manage that. I imagine you're taking the Simplon pass? As I recollect, once you get to the top, it's downhill or flat all the way to Geneva.

6th April 2020 or is time travel required? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Jamesh wrote:I think you should be ok as it's worn but not to the extent of sharks fins which is what they become when really worn.

You could try and use more of the outer and inner rings and the top and bottom cogs but be careful not to go big to big or small to small! Also the inner ring I think is steel so will wear slower than the alloy outer rings.

Only problem then is that you will end up needing a new cassette chain and chainset which will be £££

Cheers James

Okey so as a rookie cyclist and not really used to gears... I think this rookie had driven her bicycle poorly. I now actually understand how to use the 3 cogs on the front and the cassette at the back today!!! Doh