Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Post by mattheus »

Vorpal wrote:It's great to hear about a successful conclusion to your trip. I'm looking forward to the blog :)

The big question is: Are you going to get your own touring bike, now? :wink:

The trouble with that is it's very wasteful, when you can share! :P
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Tyre Lady wrote:Hey Hobbes thanks so much for following. Have been eating non-stop and have so many more stories - need to sort out my blog now :)
1. Yes - though would have liked more time to understand the equipment I was using......though I might be kidding myself here as am a "lastminute" person.

You had a taste of some of the typical debates about equipment - you might need years to understand everything! :)
Tyre Lady wrote:2. The challenge, especially when folk are telling me I could fail :p Love wild camping. Slept really well outside when there were opportunities and so much safer than having to deal with "men" (had 2 incidences & perhaps should have reported one of them). My favourite place was a cave I had discovered when I had decided to go up the side of a mountain near Bolzano. Was a hard push up a gravel path. Dunno why I was so determined to go up there but am glad I did. It was tranquil and beautiful.

I had the assumption you had wild camped before? It's pretty clear that you are used to physical challenges, I've always thought the mental side of things to be more interesting. Yes, sometimes on the road the "travel Gods" provide against all expectations.
Tyre Lady wrote:3. The first 3 days after the Geneva Marathon were hard especially due to the high winds & us being very "blur" about the extreme weather conditions. Had a friend join me and was sad when she departed on the fourth day. But think the solo return was an important time for reflection rather than to simply land back and start work. Must admit - would have been fantastic to have just stayed hidden in the forest but at the same time, fires have been lit in places and will need to ensure the fuel continues to keep moving them forward towards zero waste & low carbon initiatives. Soooo although I wanted to hide, I was also anxious to return to get things moving faster, though in the last 5 days had equipment failure with the iPhone (used for GPS) no longer consuming power from the power bank when I wanted it to, forcing me to stop to power up.

I've always found the half way point, or the turning around point to be tough. I've no doubt that completing 1.5 marathons just before that would have floored me! :)
Tyre Lady wrote:So now repairing the panniers, sorting out tyres, etc on Eastwood to prepare his return to his owner :) and speaking to folk who want to move forward in their zero waste journey - which I think is major influence to carbon emission reduction as it reduces consumerism.

Thanks for keeping us updated and coming back at the end. It's a pity more people don't do that. There is a lot of food for thought on this thread.
Well done again!
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

haha - Vorpal - Mattheus is right. Also I found a lot of bicycles are taken to the dump!!!

HobbesOnTour wrote:You had a taste of some of the typical debates about equipment - you might need years to understand everything! :)

Defo, although I could have understood the dynamo and interaction with the charger before I started :p

HobbesOnTour wrote:I had the assumption you had wild camped before? It's pretty clear that you are used to physical challenges, I've always thought the mental side of things to be more interesting.

A little but always with someone

HobbesOnTour wrote:I've always found the half way point, or the turning around point to be tough. I've no doubt that completing 1.5 marathons just before that would have floored me! :)
Thanks for keeping us updated and coming back at the end. It's a pity more people don't do that. There is a lot of food for thought on this thread.
Well done again!

Thank you to everyone on this thread and all opinions / advice. It is always great to hear different views.

How would I provide Cycle Travel feedback on some of the routes so they can be tweaked?
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Tyre Lady wrote:
How would I provide Cycle Travel feedback on some of the routes so they can be tweaked?

There's a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=128273

Or the Cycle Travel Forum itself: https://cycle.travel/forum/all
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thanks so much Hobbs :)
Low carbon, zero waste running journey