Circular tour Wales to Ireland and back

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike Nielsen

Circular tour Wales to Ireland and back

Postby Mike Nielsen » 5 Feb 2019, 5:01pm

Hi All,
I'm thinking of doing a short tour from Anglesey (beaumaris) to Dublin to Belfast then to the Isle of Man and onto Liverpool and finally back to Anglesey. I think it's about 200 miles in all.
Does anybody have any experience with this route are there any issues such as bad roads or routes to avoid or ferry problems . Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. I'm looking to do this next year sometime, medical problems preclude the trip this year.

Thanks Mike

HobbesOnTour

Re: Circular tour Wales to Ireland and back

Postby HobbesOnTour » 6 Feb 2019, 3:43pm

Mike Nielsen wrote:Hi All,
I'm thinking of doing a short tour from Anglesey (beaumaris) to Dublin to Belfast then to the Isle of Man and onto Liverpool and finally back to Anglesey. I think it's about 200 miles in all.
Does anybody have any experience with this route are there any issues such as bad roads or routes to avoid or ferry problems . Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. I'm looking to do this next year sometime, medical problems preclude the trip this year.

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,
I did some of that last September as part of a trip from Nl to Ireland and back.
I plotted a route on https://cycle.travel/

As regards the Welsh section, after Bangor I followed the Lon Los Cymru and some of the climbing was extreme! Not big climbs, so much as short and steep. If climbing is not your thing, then maybe choose another route to Holyhead. Having said that, I really enjoyed it.
The Ferry was interesting. I had to check in as a foot passenger. They wanted drop off the bike and have it carried on, but I preferred to cycle it which they allowed. It was placed in an office on the car deck.

Dublin is not the most cycle friendly of cities. I'd suggest looking online for recent routes heading north.

I can't really help you with route planning until Newry. After Newry there's a canal that's very pleasant to follow. Later, I met a local out for a ride so we cycled together away from my planned route, but from Lurgan to Belfast there is another canal route straight into the centre of Belfast.

Sustrans will have more info about that and other routes.

Can't help you with the Isle of Man ferry, but the scenario to Scotland was the same - check in as foot passenger, resist the request to load the bike separately and cycle on.

After Liverpool, the coastal route back to Bangor was really nice - even in some not so nice weather in September. A lot of great surfaces along the sea. After Bagillt you turn inland for a while - big climb, but then mainly coast afterwards. I love the sea and thought this was great.

After that, you're on your own.

Enjoy!