Euro Velo 6

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Euro Velo 6

Postby bobzeller » 8 Feb 2019, 8:37am

I wonder if anyone has done Euro Velo 6 recently. I am planning to do the western part, perhaps Blois to Nantes in May. I am wondering about the surface. Is there much that isn't tarmacked? My bike has 23 tyres and that's the widest possible. A few years ago, I did the Vélodyssey and at first it was fine while on the hardpacked parts, but then two days of rain made my life miserable. RWGPS suggests a route that doesn't stick to the official route in places. Has anyone used that one?

Most grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers

Bob

truckturner

Re: Euro Velo 6

Postby truckturner » 8 Feb 2019, 3:04pm

Most of the EV6 is better paved than the B roads round here. There were a couple of detours which were hard going for any road bike and if you have skinny tyres you may need to find an alternative route to re-join. When I rode it many sections were flooded but it did not take long to find a D or C road that ran along side the EV6 which is sometimes a welcome change from the river. Buy IGN maps to cover the route and you should have no problem
Cheers Peter

Ivor Tingting

Postby Ivor Tingting » 8 Feb 2019, 4:51pm

Riding a road bike on 23C tyres I would definitely plan a route on roads. Many of the Eurovelo routes use hard packed paths some gravel paths and some hard mud which can get a bit sticky when wet unlike tarmac. They are generally good many are asphalt but some are not. As said above there are plenty of quiet rural roads in France if you find the Eurovelo route too challenging for your bike. Sorry but I haven't ridden the EV6 on this section.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.

bobzeller

Postby bobzeller » 9 Feb 2019, 7:24am

Thanks for the advice. I imagine I will stick with the RWGPS route which uses, in places, parts of the EV6 route. I'll get back after we get back with comments.

Cheers

bobzeller

Postby bobzeller » 9 Feb 2019, 7:26am

Thanks for the advice. I imagine I will stick with the RWGPS route which uses, in places, parts of the EV6 route. I'll get back after we get back with comments.

Cheers