Bus Touring using a Freedom Bus Pass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Bus Touring using a Freedom Bus Pass

Post by mercalia »

Out of interest does any of those with Bus Passes use it for extended trips? wth possibly a Brompton along for the ride.

I have been working out how to get to Ross-on -Wye for free. Seems like
Streatham to Uxbridge ( Tube ok free )
Uxbridge to High Wycoombe ( ok free )
High Wycoombe to Oxford ( ok free)
Oxford to Gloucester ( dont know)
Gloucester to Ross-on-Wye (ok free)

the "ok" ones I have contact the bus company to confirm that the Freedom bus Pass is accepted
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Feb 2019, 5:08pm, edited 3 times in total.
climo

Re: Bus Touring using a Freedom Bus Pass

Post by climo »

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

climo wrote:https://www.traveline.info/

I have an app on Windows Phone that uses that website and has allowed me to find the buses and the stops. search & Plots them all on Bing maps. A very useful app called Next Bus Uk Live

Is this available on Android?
climo

Post by climo »

mercalia wrote:
climo wrote:https://www.traveline.info/

I have an app on Windows Phone that uses that website and has allowed me to find the buses and the stops. search & Plots them all on Bing maps. A very useful app called Next Bus Uk Live

Is this available on Android?

Traveline app and Moovit on android. Lots of others
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

What age do you get these bus passes ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:What age do you get these bus passes ?

tatanab

Post by tatanab »

^^^ Not quite. It is linked to the retirement age for women. Hence I got my pass at 62, whereas I would have to be 66 these days. see eligibility and plug in your numbers https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/servi ... ligibility
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Oxford to Gloucester ( dont know)

I think that may be your weak link. Three trips a day, sometimes changing in Cheltenham: https://bustimes.org/services/853-glouc ... ham-oxford
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:What age do you get these bus passes ?

If you are not eligible yet, the chances of you getting one are diminishing fast. The uptake and overspend is huge and instead of the powers that be rejoicing in an a mobile older population they’re looking for ways to restrict it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My (sic) maternal grandmother was registered blind in old age and as such entitled to free bus travel on Leeds City Transport. (I don't know if that was a national scheme in those days.) She wasn't totally without sight. After she was widowed, she used to travel all over Leeds by bus as a pastime. Her favourite was the number 9 which in those days went round Leeds Ring Road one way, then back the other. (It's not a complete ring.)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

what make it worse is the shear number of trains and busses just transporting air around ... free passengers are going to spend at either their starting point or when the leave the train / bus .
The rail line between Truro and Falmouth has been on the brink for years as the trains are usually < 20% occupied ... there are many local voices wanting the rail line ripped up and a tarmaced bus only permanent way put in place ...
Be more Mike.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I use my bus pass in conjunction with a Dawes kingpin folding shopper. I've only been locally within Somerset, Devon and Dorset on day rides where I can get back home. You can't use your pass in the peak morning rush so this limits when you can start, 9.30am apart from weekends when you can use your pass from 8.00 am. The Megabus service may also allow it depending on the service. The Falcon flyer accept bus passes between Bristol and Taunton then between Cullompton and Plymouth. For the short gap between Taunton and Cullompton you would have to use the normal service bus, buy a Megabus ticket, or ride your bike. :?
And in Bristol you can use the new Metrobus or even the no2 poo bus fuelled by methane generated from sewage. But I just checked and this service has been flushed away. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38000317 :(
Last edited by rjb on 11 Feb 2019, 7:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:what make it worse is the shear number of trains and busses just transporting air around ... free passengers are going to spend at either their starting point or when the leave the train / bus .
The rail line between Truro and Falmouth has been on the brink for years as the trains are usually < 20% occupied ... there are many local voices wanting the rail line ripped up and a tarmaced bus only permanent way put in place ...

well the travel isnt free - the govt or who ever pays for the journeys when you use your card on the machine in the bus. so "free" travel does contribute to the running costs .
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mercalia wrote:
landsurfer wrote:what make it worse is the shear number of trains and busses just transporting air around ... free passengers are going to spend at either their starting point or when the leave the train / bus .

well the travel isnt free - the govt or who ever pays for the journeys when you use your card on the machine in the bus. so "free" travel does contribute to the running costs .

So the hundreds of thousands of pounds (possibly millions ) of tax i paid where for what exactly ....
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:
So the hundreds of thousands of pounds (possibly millions ) of tax i paid where for what exactly ....

mercalia’s bus pass. I’m sure they’re grateful :wink: