Lochailort to Fort William / Inverness

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
litchy76

Lochailort to Fort William / Inverness

Post by litchy76 »

Looking for suggestions on possible route from Lochailort to Fort William to pick up NCN route to Inverness. Aiming hopefully to avoid busy A roads. Will have come to Lochailort by way to Outer Hebrides and Skye. Touring with panniers.Any suggestions welcomed Cheers.
Paulatic

Re: Lochailort to Fort William / Inverness

Post by Paulatic »

My only experience of that bit of road was at 4 a.m. It was a really quiet road :D

Bit of info here viewtopic.php?t=112067
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Given the lack of roads generally in that area your choice is probably the A830.

It is a relatively small road and compared to city traffic is quiet however it is the only road feeding Mallaig where there is a busy fishing port and a ferry terminal so you will encounter some traffic including HGVs. The twisty sections have been upgraded but there may still be narrow bits with passing places.
irc

Post by irc »

From Fort William I'd suggest the B8004 to Gairlochy.Then Great Glen Way along the forest tracks on the W side of Loch Lochy. Canal towpath for the last few miles to Fort Augustus. Take the B roads on the east side of Loch Ness to Inverness. On no account the A82.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Lochailort to Ft William you only have two choices, direct on the main road, or the long way round via Acharacle, Strontian etc.
On the long way round you can either take the Corran ferry to join the A82 or preferably stay on the A861 and get the passenger ferry from Camusnagaul across to Ft William.
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

From Lochailort to the junction with the other end of the A861 on the A830 is about 15 miles, turn onto the A861 here for 10 miles and get the passenger ferry at Camusnagaul. The A830 is all double track now but there are a few twisty bits between Lochailort and Glenfinnan. The A861 is a fairly decent single track road. Camusnagaul ferry runs Monday to Saturday about 5 times a day (timetable via Google).

Depending on the time of year, the A830 can be very quiet or very busy. Campervans and convoys of traffic to or from the ferry are very common in the summer.
litchy76

Post by litchy76 »

Many Thx for replies will be there late June. Cheers