Inverness to Strathcarron

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
litchy76

Inverness to Strathcarron

Post by litchy76 »

Looking for suggested route from Inverness to Strathcarron avoiding busy roads. Will be cycle touring with panniers. Still internally debating crossing the Belach na ba or bypassing and going direct to Sheildag. Any advice on route to Strathcarron appreciated. Rgds
Norman H

Re: Inverness to Strathcarron

Post by Norman H »

Is this part of a longer tour of the west coast?

If so, it might help if you posted your approximate itinerary. In particular, are you also planning to end your tour at Inverness?

There are various road options but you could also consider using the train for at least part of the journey. I once stayed in the Station Bunkhouse at Plockton, which is alongside the railway, and there's a regular service.

Bealach Na Bà is certainly worth doing if you have time.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I rode Inverness to Strathcarron some years ago.
No problems at all. Very quiet roads even if they were main ones. A roads all the way.
Route.jpg
Empty Road.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

The Bealach is a cracking climb but will take a bit of effort. The point to note is that from Applecross to Shieldaig the road is very undulating and tiring. All the uphill bits are preceded by a tight turn over a burn meaning you cannot carry any of your downhill speed. Lots of people think the Shieldaig ride is harder than the Bealach.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Navrig wrote:The Bealach is a cracking climb but will take a bit of effort. The point to note is that from Applecross to Shieldaig the road is very undulating and tiring. All the uphill bits are preceded by a tight turn over a burn meaning you cannot carry any of your downhill speed. Lots of people think the Shieldaig ride is harder than the Bealach.
Utterly agree on both points. It would have been easier to go back over the pass.
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Mick's provided a good route, part of the North Coast 500 ( https://www.northcoast500.com/ ), and reasonably quiet most of the way, although a lot of vans and lorries leaving Inverness first thing in the morning. Plenty of café or food stops along the way (Lochcarron pretty special place for breakfast, if you've made a very early start, or lunch if more leisurely). The Bealach na Ba is very special and most of the drivers are considerate with cyclists, especially if you have luggage. Agree with comments about going round the peninsular to Shieldaig, it's hard but well worth it, and the village itself is a gorgeous place to stop for a break.

Enjoy the ride.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Mick F wrote:
Navrig wrote:The Bealach is a cracking climb but will take a bit of effort. The point to note is that from Applecross to Shieldaig the road is very undulating and tiring. All the uphill bits are preceded by a tight turn over a burn meaning you cannot carry any of your downhill speed. Lots of people think the Shieldaig ride is harder than the Bealach.
Utterly agree on both points. It would have been easier to go back over the pass.

I've ridden the peninsula once on my motorbike and cycled the pass once. After m/biking the peninsula there was no way I was going beyond Applecross on my bike. Thankfully both trips were in glorious sunshine ;-)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

You could always take the scenic route:

Inverness - North Kessock - Redcastle - Muir of Ord - Marybank.....then take the single track road out to Strathconon & Scardroy Lodge (which is the end of the tarmac). When the tarmac runs out you're on a walking track over the hill to the A890 (follow the signpost 'Achnasheen via Inver'). Some of the track section I think was cycleable although I do recall some pushing. I did this as part of a loop out from Marybank one summers day. Hybrid bike with panniers & semi slick tyres (which would probably not be the best choice if it was wet). Fairly long day ride but plenty of good spots for camping.

Check out the map below if it works. You cannot route further than scardroy lodge on cycle.travel but if you zoom in at the termination of the ride you should see a track 'appear' that heads a bit North of West.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89381
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Here's a few images to whet your appetite!!

strath.jpg

strath (2).jpg

strath (3).jpg

Enjoy your trip!
litchy76

Post by litchy76 »

Thx for great replies, yes part of a longer tour starting in Edinburgh - Campbelltown - Oban - Outer Heb to Tarbert then down through Skye to Lochailort, Fort William & on to Inverness. Looking at then getting into the N/West Highlands continuing on to Durness / Tongue before heading back to either Inverness or Edinburgh. Love the Scottish scenery when cycling but mindful or carrying panniers up big climbs - Cheers
Dean

Post by Dean »

SimonCelsa wrote:You could always take the scenic route:

Inverness - North Kessock - Redcastle - Muir of Ord - Marybank.....then take the single track road out to Strathconon & Scardroy Lodge (which is the end of the tarmac). When the tarmac runs out you're on a walking track over the hill to the A890 (follow the signpost 'Achnasheen via Inver'). Some of the track section I think was cycleable although I do recall some pushing. I did this as part of a loop out from Marybank one summers day. Hybrid bike with panniers & semi slick tyres (which would probably not be the best choice if it was wet). Fairly long day ride but plenty of good spots for camping.

Check out the map below if it works. You cannot route further than scardroy lodge on cycle.travel but if you zoom in at the termination of the ride you should see a track 'appear' that heads a bit North of West.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89381

Ah, good to know that's ridable - I was looking at that when I was up in the area last year.

The OP could also look at Coulin Pass over to Torridon - not at all rough apart from a few yards near the top, and great views down either side.