Goodbye YHA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Goodbye YHA

Postby Sweep » 15 Feb 2019, 9:42am

1982john wrote:Rooms tend to cost £20 a night these days anyway so you are £1 worse off. Where else are you going to go if a single traveller?

e.

Camp.

Almost anywhere.

I was only considering joining because of camping facilities at some anyway.
Sweep

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 15 Feb 2019, 11:06am

Sweep wrote:
1982john wrote:Rooms tend to cost £20 a night these days anyway so you are £1 worse off. Where else are you going to go if a single traveller?

e.

Camp.

Almost anywhere.

I was only considering joining because of camping facilities at some anyway.

yes the £3 off meant about a 25% off camping rather than the measly 10%, makes a big difference if you count your pennies: more like £2 loss per night

Ivor Tingting

Postby Ivor Tingting » 15 Feb 2019, 1:38pm

Well they are a business and offering stays for £3 a night simply wasn't commercially sustainable.

Personally I wouldn't ever use YHA accommodation having suffered many a sleepless night due to selfish inconsiderate adults and kids banging shouting screaming shrieking, generally charging around late at night or very early in the morning. Then there are the drunks that come in late at night chat loudly waking every one up and then snore their heads off.

YHA not for me. I guess they only survive because of offering accommodation to kids and schools during the holidays. I would prefer to be wild camping in my tent or on a quiet campsite. At least I'd get some privacy and a good night's sleep.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 15 Feb 2019, 2:04pm

Ivor Tingting wrote:Well they are a business and offering stays for £3 a night simply wasn't commercially sustainable.

Personally I wouldn't ever use YHA accommodation having suffered many a sleepless night due to selfish inconsiderate adults and kids banging shouting screaming shrieking, generally charging around late at night or very early in the morning. Then there are the drunks that come in late at night chat loudly waking every one up and then snore their heads off.

YHA not for me. I guess they only survive because of offering accommodation to kids and schools during the holidays. I would prefer to be wild camping in my tent or on a quiet campsite. At least I'd get some privacy and a good night's sleep.

Your first para - I think you maybe misread up thread.

Agree with your last.
Sweep

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 15 Feb 2019, 2:11pm

Ivor Tingting wrote:Well they are a business and offering stays for £3 a night simply wasn't commercially sustainable.

afew errors there. a) they are a charity b) its £3 off per night for members not £3 per night. Its seems they want to lower prices for groups where only one person is a member so make it more attractive to such groups, who spend a lot of money due to the group size.

Ivor Tingting

Postby Ivor Tingting » 16 Feb 2019, 3:42am

mercalia wrote:

afew errors there. a) they are a charity b) its £3 off per night for members not £3 per night. Its seems they want to lower prices for groups where only one person is a member so make it more attractive to such groups, who spend a lot of money due to the group size.

Another reason if you needed one to avoid YHA noisy groups.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 16 Feb 2019, 8:34am

Back then the YHA had rules, curfew 22oo-07oo I think, Plus Nine (hours sleep), one had to do duties, a bit like going to confession or doing national service

Spud bashing, the warden said to me: "you have done a good job peeling the potatoes, now you may peel the peelings" :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 16 Feb 2019, 11:25am

I think it is worth checking out rooms on Airbnb as they are often not much different from a hostel and if sharing they are very affordable. Mix and match all options seems another option.

1982john

Postby 1982john » 16 Feb 2019, 1:21pm

roberts8 wrote:I think it is worth checking out rooms on Airbnb as they are often not much different from a hostel and if sharing they are very affordable. Mix and match all options seems another option.

AirBnB has never been something I've considered. If you're just staying for one night is it worth the hassle?

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 16 Feb 2019, 8:59pm

A couple of days ago I looked at Thurlby Hostel - booked solid till 2021. Emailed them - turns out they are only open for groups except for 2 months in the summer, which is booked up for the next 2 years. So there are no hostels in a huge area of the east of England now. I hostel in Germany but I haven't managed to book a YHA hostel in the UK for ages.
I usually camp in the summer, and even that can be difficult when they have a fixed rate for 2 people, 2 children, and a car. If I want to do cool season trips I'm now looking at Airbnb, even though I don't like some aspects of the way it works. Otherwise it'd be £80 bed n breakfast, and I just can't run to that - or enjoy it, really!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

mjr

Postby mjr » 16 Feb 2019, 9:06pm

Ivor Tingting wrote:Personally I wouldn't ever use YHA accommodation having suffered many a sleepless night due to selfish inconsiderate adults and kids banging shouting screaming shrieking, generally charging around late at night or very early in the morning. Then there are the drunks that come in late at night chat loudly waking every one up and then snore their heads off.

Is this an English problem? I've stayed in hostels in Wales, Belgium and the Netherlands and only had problems in Amsterdam (not a stayok), which I guess is a higher risk there than most places. Most of the ones abroad seem more like staying in uni halls with bigger rooms than anything. No trouble worth mentioning - a mixup with rooms at one soon resolved, loose leg to screw back on a bed at another, that sort of thing. The Welsh ones a mix of that and old farms.

I'm not a camper. Buildings exist.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 16 Feb 2019, 9:48pm

Slowroad wrote:A couple of days ago I looked at Thurlby Hostel - booked solid till 2021. Emailed them - turns out they are only open for groups except for 2 months in the summer, which is booked up for the next 2 years. So there are no hostels in a huge area of the east of England now. I hostel in Germany but I haven't managed to book a YHA hostel in the UK for ages.
I usually camp in the summer, and even that can be difficult when they have a fixed rate for 2 people, 2 children, and a car. If I want to do cool season trips I'm now looking at Airbnb, even though I don't like some aspects of the way it works. Otherwise it'd be £80 bed n breakfast, and I just can't run to that - or enjoy it, really!

Try Warmshowers https://www.warmshowers.org/ . Travelodges are also good for cycle tours and they usually let you keep your bike in the room. Can be as low as 29 quid for a night. Camping - if you've got a reasonably small tent that can be free in almost any part of the country. You don't have to stay on a campsite.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 17 Feb 2019, 1:04am

1982john wrote:
roberts8 wrote:I think it is worth checking out rooms on Airbnb as they are often not much different from a hostel and if sharing they are very affordable. Mix and match all options seems another option.

AirBnB has never been something I've considered. If you're just staying for one night is it worth the hassle?

Once you've registered for Airbnb it's pretty much like booking anywhere. They have a huge range of rooms, so contact is often different, eg phone, rather than a hotel check in desk.

I'm also not totally happy with their business model and it has resulted n some undesirable consequences in some city areas.

To be honest, I've only stayed in one once. I needed to stay near immigration office and there were no hotels. Got a granny flat in family house at good price.

I do look sometimes and it's worth having a browse of what's available, it's just that hotels and G Hs always came out better. Beware the extras, eg service charge.

I had to send photo of passport to register, but I did it while abroad, not sure of procedure if in home country. You need internet and mobile.

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 17 Feb 2019, 5:52pm

Try Warmshowers https://www.warmshowers.org/ . Travelodges are also good for cycle tours and they usually let you keep your bike in the room. Can be as low as 29 quid for a night. Camping - if you've got a reasonably small tent that can be free in almost any part of the country. You don't have to stay on a campsite.

I've not used Warmshowers as I'm not in a position to reciprocate by putting people up, unfortunately, as it does sound a good way to both have a cheap overnight and meet locals.
I don't mind paying - just don't like being ripped off. I like basic campsites but wouldn't wild camp by myself.
Back to Airbnb - many 'ordinary' bnbs are listed on there as well as the original 'spare room' idea, as they have come to the conclusion that you can't beat them so join them.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Feb 2019, 6:50pm

What bothers you about wild camping alone slowroad?
Sweep