Goodbye YHA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Goodbye YHA

Post by mercalia »

seems like they are ending the £3/night off for members and replacing it by a 10% off the total

"Today, members get a discount of up to £3 off per member per night on YHA accommodation. Under the new scheme, members will get 10% off their entire booking, including pre-booked meals. That means, from 5th March, you can share the benefit of your discount with everyone in your booking."

Not doing me any favours or any single traveller for that matter. Thats me gone. Goodbye YHA, was nice knowing you

This will be my last year make my summer booking now before march 5th to get my £3/night?

seems like they value non members more than members now

I hate it when they think of clawing in more money and present it as if they are doing you a favour. Like the energy companies that say, dont worry we wont put up the prices more than the price cap :roll: ( EDF)
gbnz

Re: Goodbye YHA

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit a three night booking in January, reminded me why I don'tuse the YHA. A single night, with an obese old man snoring at incredible volume until at least 04.00am led to my cancelling my trip :? (Nb. I wasn't the only one affected, half the floor was complaining about it the next morning)
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote:Have to admit a three night booking in January, reminded me why I don'tuse the YHA. A single night, with an obese old man snoring at incredible volume until at least 04.00am led to my cancelling my trip :? (Nb. I wasn't the only one affected, half the floor was complaining about it the next morning)

Was it beyond earplugs? Did anyone complain about it to him?

Seems a lot more involuntary and less vexing than the old headboard-banging-wall routine echoing through a chain hotel's walls...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gbnz wrote:Have to admit a three night booking in January, reminded me why I don'tuse the YHA. A single night, with an obese old man snoring at incredible volume until at least 04.00am led to my cancelling my trip :? (Nb. I wasn't the only one affected, half the floor was complaining about it the next morning)

That happened ( not me ) at Canterbury - I was there last year and by chance the same people that fateful night were also ( incl the culprit ) was told this black ( before you complain read the whole story) guy was snoring and stopping every one going to sleep so some one complained to the guy who took umbridge and stormed out into the front of the hostel, outside, shouting out he was getting racial descrimination & to call the police. This time when I was there he was back but in a room on his own and omg even with the door shut he was LOUD

Ear plugs only work to some extent( I always have some wax ones ) but when you know some one is snoring, you cant help hearing it even thru the ear plugs, like picking the scab off a wound. I have wondered about getting a pillow and..... :wink:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I stopped using the YHA after a lifetime a couple of years ago.

Because of sleep apnea (I am not overweight) I snore.
John
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I had a very enjoyable two nights stay at YHA Tanners Hatch in the Surrey Hills last week, with member discount and January promotion discount. And I will be returning later in the year. I see no reason not to continue staying at YHA.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

LinusR wrote:I had a very enjoyable two nights stay at YHA Tanners Hatch in the Surrey Hills last week, with member discount and January promotion discount. And I will be returning later in the year. I see no reason not to continue staying at YHA.

you shouldnt publicise that hostel here as dont want any riff raff there. :wink: Its the only YHA near london where you can camp and a very nice place to camp it is also
Tanners Hatch 2.JPG
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

mercalia wrote:Its the only YHA near london where you can camp

You can also camp at nearby Holmbury and at Jordans.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

LinusR wrote:
mercalia wrote:Its the only YHA near london where you can camp

You can also camp at nearby Holmbury and at Jordans.

yes but you get school parties there & duke of ed.s award so best to avoid. And the main road from Guildford to Dorking is not pleasant to cycle along unlike to Tanners Hatch

Is very easy for me living in South London to get there even using the train very cheap
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mjr wrote:Was it beyond earplugs? Did anyone complain about it to him?

Seems a lot more involuntary and less vexing than the old headboard-banging-wall routine echoing through a chain hotel's walls...

It was well beyond ear plugs! (Nb. I always take ear plugs on a trip and on this occasion had the extra special, heavy duty type). And it may have been involuntary (NB. Though perhaps a decent diet & exercise would help), but that didn't make it any less pleasant.

As to complaining to him, I'm not the only one who gave his bed a shake in passing, though unfortunately he was always snoring away again within a couple of minutes
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the info mercalia.

As you know have been contemplating for a while, but since I am only interested in the camping side of things now there is no reason to.

One less thing to think about.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Seems a lot more involuntary and less vexing than the old headboard-banging-wall routine echoing through a chain hotel's walls...

I was going to comment on what a cliche the snorer in the dorm is, then you beat it with the bigger cliche of headboard banger. I’ve been woken by both, though far more often the snorer, even so, they’re both quite rare. Headboard banging has pretty much disappeared since headboards in chain hotels became fixed to the wall not the bed.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:Seems a lot more involuntary and less vexing than the old headboard-banging-wall routine echoing through a chain hotel's walls...

Seems a bit pervy for someone to stay awake to listen to that sort of thing. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:

Seems a bit pervy for someone to stay awake to listen to that sort of thing. :wink:

Medication-induced insomnia is a gift that keeps on giving... but it's gone now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

While I'm disappointed by the change I dont see it as having that big of an impact.

Rooms tend to cost £20 a night these days anyway so you are £1 worse off. Where else are you going to go if a single traveller?

B&Bs tend to start £40... Travelodges can be found for good prices in sales but they dont tend to be in places where hostels are.