Bike locks for South East Asia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
trevstonbury

Bike locks for South East Asia

Post by trevstonbury »

Hi Guys,

Was hoping someone could make some bike lock recommendations for me. I am going to be cycling SE Asia later this year and wanted some advice on the best way to secure bikes. There will be 2 of us making the trip so this may have some impact on what to recommended and we want the right balance of security vs weight.

I was thinking of perhaps one D-lock, something like the ABUS Granit X–Plus 540;
http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/ ... 40-review/

Then perhaps a lighter cable lock to provide more flexibility, also does anyone have views on key vs combinations lock? We will be travelling through a mix of countryside and urban areas, any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated

P.S. we are using Mountain bikes for the trip

Cheers

Trevor
simonhill

Re: Bike locks for South East Asia

Post by simonhill »

I cycle a lot in SE Asia and am in Burma at the moment. I only use a cheapo cable combination lock. I also have a very short combination lock just for putting through back wheel when I make a short stop eg into a 7 Eleven or a meal where bike is visible.

At night I never leave bike outside, it is either in hotel room or somewhere downstairs in hotel. The lock is enough to stop anyone walking away with bike.

In the countryside I think there's very little risk, more so in city so take a bit more care. Generally I don't leave my bike outside in the city.

Normally during the day locals don't lock their bikes and always look at me a bit oddly for doing so.

A combination lock has the advantage of no keys to lose or dig out of your bag. When I toured with a mate, we just had one cable each and knew each other's combination.

I use a better lock in England.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

It depends where you are. Motorbike theft is common, and for this reason many people park their motorbike (default mode of transport) inside their house. So you should expect to be able to bring the bike inside wherever you are staying. No bike stands anywhere, so anything designed for locking a bike to a stand is basically useless. In terms of locking a bike to itself, well ok, but in terms of theft if it's going to happen then I think the common mode is to lift the bike (motorbike typically) into a van, so a lock doesn't help that much there.

I'm not sure that bike locks or bolt croppers are that common. But angle grinders are common tools, which I guess would trash any sort of lock, so I'm not sure a d lock is much better than a poundland cable lock really. Not to mention that the latter is much lighter.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Lawynet, I know you are mainly in Indonesia, I don't know if it is different. I agree that people put motorbikes indoors, but only at night. They often seem very casual during the day, often leaving keys in and sometimes even the engine running when they go into a shop, etc.

I never feel particularly worried during the day when there are usually lots of people around, but I agree, I would never leave my bike outside at night.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

simonhill wrote:Lawynet, I know you are mainly in Indonesia, I don't know if it is different. I agree that people put motorbikes indoors, but only at night. They often seem very casual during the day, often leaving keys in and sometimes even the engine running when they go into a shop, etc.

I never feel particularly worried during the day when there are usually lots of people around, but I agree, I would never leave my bike outside at night.

Yes I should have said that is at night: in the day things are pretty casual.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Currently staying in Guest House that has very steep stairs, with shop down below. They keep my bike in the shop overnight. During the day they carry it out and park it with their hire bikes. It has my round the rear wheel short ¥100 (70p) lock on it.

OK, Myanmar is a bit safer than other SE Asian countries, but the shop folks keep an eye on it. There was another Surly belonging to a young English doing the same when I arrived.

Came down yesterday morning to find a bag of oranges and a bag of veg hanging from the rack, plus a coat on the saddle. It all belonged to a little old lady who someone had offered a stool to sit on while she waited for a bus. My bike must have seemed the obvious place to put her stuff. Sadly I had to get her to move it all as I was going for a ride.