Good place to base myself for days out in UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
No1goldenchild

Good place to base myself for days out in UK

Post by No1goldenchild »

Hi there

I'm looking for recommendations for a somewhere in the UK to be base myself, the aim is to stay in one location and go out for rides each day for around a week. The rides can be anything between 50-100 miles a day.

So, where has a good choice of medium to challenging routes? Probably looking to go around June/July.

Many thanks.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Good place to base myself for days out in UK

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Porthmadog in N. Wales offers a lot of varied routes and terrain. Some long traffic free ones.

And is close enough to England and Wales's highest peak!
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 18 Feb 2019, 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

For me it would be Penrith. From there you can reach Scottish Borders, Northern Pennines, Lake District, Cumbria, Howgills, and Yorkshire Dales.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Kendal for me. You've got lakes through to Arnside, dales, howgills and Bow fell within reach plus a short ride to oxenholme and you're on a mainline station for an out and back linear ride for a challenge.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Have a look at Settle and Skipton.

Be aware that the school holidays in England begin around 26 July this year and if you are not tied to school holidays they are best avoided for both price and availabilty of accommodation
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What about somewhere near the Llwyn peninsula? You've got down the coast, up the coast, into the peninsula, Anglesey and into the Snowdonia national park too.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Rather than a specific place i'd consider a couple of things before making a choice.

Firstly terrain - the Yorkshire Dales are great but not if you prefer gentle climbs, somewhere on the coast could be nice but restricts your direction options somewhat. So consider those elements.

Getting there - worth considering, the LLyn peninsular is very nice but not the easiest to get to without your own transport.

For my tuppence i'd look at maybe Lincolnshire - there are hills if you want, stay on the wolds and you have full 360 degree choice of ride directions, its quiet and pleasant with a wide variety of attractions.

Alternatively the Vale of York will put you closer to hillier terrain but it is busier and IME more expensive than Lincs. The Yorkshire Wolds (Beverley for example) are a bigger version of the Lincs examples.

You could just use the map and pin method!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

foxyrider wrote:<SNIP>

Vale of York area sounds a good idea to me. Harrogate might be a good base. Easy to get to.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote:<SNIP>

Have to admit I'd agree to the Vale of York, though further North than Harrogate (Northallerton, Richmond, Bedale). Superb flat and/or rolling rides down the Vale of York, up into the Yorkshire Dales, or over to the North York Moors, Howardian Hills . Lincolnshires fantastic, but not quite the variety or intensity of landscape. And while I love the Lakes, it's not somewhere I'd base myself for cycling - busy, cramped roads, expensive accomodation, limited range of landscape.

And I'm biased; if this brief warm, dry spell continues, I may pop down on the train to Northallerton tomorrow or Wednesday, head over to the Lakes via the Dales, prior to heading back home via Alston/Tyne Valley (Nb. Not all in one day!)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Knighton, Powys
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Tangled Metal wrote:What about somewhere near the Llwyn peninsula? You've got down the coast, up the coast, into the peninsula, Anglesey and into the Snowdonia national park too.

I think s/he means Llêyn Peninsula!

My Porthmadog suggestion is an excellent base for that too!!

Knighton, Powys, suggested above, has some beautiful places near it too.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:What about somewhere near the Llwyn peninsula? You've got down the coast, up the coast, into the peninsula, Anglesey and into the Snowdonia national park too.

I think s/he means Llêyn Peninsula!

My Porthmadog suggestion is an excellent base for that too!!

Knighton, Powys, suggested above, has some beautiful places near it too.

Clun for example, in England :?
Knucklas Viaduct, Llandrindod Wells!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Steve wrote:Knighton, Powys

Or Hay, a little bit further south.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Try Bristol, good connecting cycle routes to the Mendips, Cotswolds, South Wales, Cheddar, Wells, and the Somerset levels.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:Vale of York area sounds a good idea to me. Harrogate might be a good base. Easy to get to.

I thought that there was an age barrier in Harrogate... you need to be at least 80