FInding a Surly LHT or Disc trucker to try out ( Plymouth area )

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

FInding a Surly LHT or Disc trucker to try out ( Plymouth area )

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I am becoming more and more tempted to buy a touring bike. At the mo, I use a Dawes Kalahari of dubious vintage that I have tweaked and fettled to be my tourer. It is, however, bloomin' 'eavy. I am interested in. Surly LHT or Disc trucker as a possibility but am definitely try before I buy person. Does anyone know where I can do this in my area? I live 10miles north of Plymouth.

Cheers
Sweep

Re: New bike

Post by Sweep »

If you are not in an incredible hurry I'd keep a look out on the bikes for sale bit on here for a while.

May be opportunities to try stuff locally. And some nice well maintained bikes come up.

As for the LHT v any alternatives, lots of threads on here.

Enjoy your research and eventual tourer.
Sweep
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

You are not too far away from Bridgwater in Somerset, where you can visit SJS cycles to look at their Thorn tourers. I have the Sherpa and is an excellent bike if you want to stray away from the roads and onto gravel tracks etc. Also makes a good commuter. Their Club Tour is a lighter bike if you do not intend to carry huge loads. You can easily arrange a test ride on your chosen bike and not just a quick whizz around a car park. They issue you with a map and away you go.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bikerta wrote:You are not too far away from Bridgwater in Somerset, where you can visit SJS cycles to look at their Thorn tourers. I have the Sherpa and is an excellent bike if you want to stray away from the roads and onto gravel tracks etc. Also makes a good commuter. Their Club Tour is a lighter bike if you do not intend to carry huge loads. You can easily arrange a test ride on your chosen bike and not just a quick whizz around a car park. They issue you with a map and away you go.

expensive these days though I fear.

If 26 inch, I can't see that the Ridgeback Expedition (these days disc) is realistically any inferior to their offerings.

Willing to be disabused.

(all credit to bretonbikes)
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Velo Smith in Plympton are a Surly dealer.
http://www.velo-smith.com
Or contact Ison distribution who are the UK importer to ask about other suppliers.
I have one it's a very nice tourer but it's not light by any means.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you are after a 26" Surly LHT, I have a 56 cm frame for sale. Hardly used, black, £200 plus postage.

Unfortunately I live the other side of the country, otherwise you could have tried out one of mine.

Not available till I get home at end of March as I am currently touring in Asia on one of my other LHTs.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

would a touring bike be any lighter than the Kalahari you have, esp once you have loaded it up?

It has an alloy frame? many tourers are steel possibly heavier?
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Maybe it's weight isn't the issue then. But it FEELS heavy. I've often heard people talk about how heavy a bike is but how you don't notice it when you are moving. The Dawes feels like a lump of lead.

My reason for wanting to try out a LHT rather than buy off the rack is to ensure good fit. At six foot five, I know I am likey to need the biggest frame size but want to be sure.

With regards to Thorn, I thought they worked out to be pricier. Maybe not. I also wonder if an LHT is overkill for me. I am unlikely to be doing third world, unsupported, six months in the jungle stuff. I want a bike to do two week to a month trips, mostly in Europe. I'll be camping. I have also looked at the Trek but lust after the LHT
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Lust on. What's wrong with wanting such an icon in the touring world.

I checked into a small GH a couple of days ago and parked up was a nice olive green LHT that belonged to a guy from S Korea. I don't expect it will be the last I see on my travels.

If you compare frames, I think you will find little difference in their weight. It's more about the bits you put on that make up the weight. Mine is a fairly heavy duty build so the bike is heavy. Lighter weight tyres, saddle, rack, etc will quickly shave off a few kgs.

Mine will certainly be too small if you are 6' plus.
Sweep

Re: FInding a Surly LHT or Disc trucker to try out ( Plymouth area )

Post by Sweep »

One initial thing I'd give some thought to OP is whether you favour a sloping or straight/towards straight top tube.

The pretty straight top tube on the Surly is what eventually put me off but I am sure it is a good frame.

I wouldn't worry about not crossing the globe enough to warrant it. Nothing wrong with a good dependable bike wherever you are using it.
Sweep
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Thanks for your comments sweep and simonshill. I'm going to keep lusting and see if I can find one to try.
irc

Post by irc »

Thehairs1970 wrote:My reason for wanting to try out a LHT rather than buy off the rack is to ensure good fit. At six foot five, I know I am likey to need the biggest frame size but want to be sure.

Probably correct. I'm 6ft2 1/2 and ride a 60cm Trucker. I have 4 or 5 inches of seatpost exposed though. I like plenty standover room on a heavy loaded bike. I could probably fit a 62cm. A 64cm would be too big.

a-4-hrs-from-torrey.JPG
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I just put together an LHT as my Christmas present. I risked it and bought it blind without trying it out first. I have not done any long trips yet, but with 20 km rides I am very happy. It is true when they say that riding it unloaded the bike can seem a little sleepy, but with a load it shines.

I mounted flat bars, so I had to get a larger frame (60cm, I am 6'), and still had to buy a longer bar stem.
It is light and depending on the components, should be a fine and definitely lighter than your Dawes.

Let us know, would love to see it, once completed.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

just put together an LHT as my Christmas present. I risked it and bought it blind without trying it out first. I have not done any long trips yet, but with 20 km rides I am very happy. It is true when they say that riding it unloaded the bike can seem a little sleepy, but with a load it shines.

Hadn't thought of building my own. Does the frame set come ready to build. I.e. Is the bottom bracket already tapped?

Martyn
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thehairs1970 wrote:
just put together an LHT as my Christmas present. I risked it and bought it blind without trying it out first. I have not done any long trips yet, but with 20 km rides I am very happy. It is true when they say that riding it unloaded the bike can seem a little sleepy, but with a load it shines.

Hadn't thought of building my own. Does the frame set come ready to build. I.e. Is the bottom bracket already tapped?

Martyn

I'd be amazed if it wasn't.

If you intend to put an external BB on (but why would you?) it is of course important to check that the BB interface is faced.

I'd be more inclined to get the frame with a headset already installed.

After that, bike building is really a matter of taking your time with a decent book like the Park Tools one to hand.
Sweep