FInding a Surly LHT or Disc trucker to try out ( Plymouth area )

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Re: FInding a Surly LHT or Disc trucker to try out ( Plymouth area )

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Think it is sold as a frame with forks. Cheers though
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Ah. But maybe not headset.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

No headset, just frame and forks.

The one I'm selling does have headset from previous build.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Thehairs1970 wrote:
just put together an LHT as my Christmas present. I risked it and bought it blind without trying it out first. I have not done any long trips yet, but with 20 km rides I am very happy. It is true when they say that riding it unloaded the bike can seem a little sleepy, but with a load it shines.

Hadn't thought of building my own. Does the frame set come ready to build. I.e. Is the bottom bracket already tapped?

Martyn

The frame comes ready. Standard threading for the BB, the only problem I had was installing the headset cone on the fork crown. After 1/2 hr of trying to whack it on, I filed the crown down a bit and fit just fine. The fork has a long head tube, so it can be cut to your liking. The only component that came with the frame is the seat post clamp ( for 27.2). A heads up; the frame was designed for down tube shifters, so if you want bar shifters you have to get screw-on cable ends. These go on the shifter mounts and hold the housing, then the bare cable leads down to the BB.
I enjoyed building it even with a few hiccups, but more importantly, it is all mine and me
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Byronius Maximus

Post by Byronius Maximus »

I recently did a 5 month tour in South America on a disc trucker. If you are not expecting it to be heavy then you are in for a shock!
As a poster said above, and many others state, it feels pretty sluggish when unladen, but when you load it up the handling is virtually unchanged. Quite impressive really.
I didn't use front panniers for the trip so was travelling lighter than many on similar length trips so probably could have got away with something less heavy duty, but still found it to be a good tool for the job, especially on rough roads in the middle of nowhere, where I really wouldn't want a breakdown. Even if you're going on two week trips, you can still get to places where you wouldn't want a frame failure.
I'd say you could try mine out but I am in Derby.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Byronius Maximus wrote:I recently did a 5 month tour in South America on a disc trucker. If you are not expecting it to be heavy then you are in for a shock!.

I'm not expecting a whippet by any stretch. My current tourer is a Dawes Kalahari. I found it abandoned in a hedge. It went unclaimed and I've built it up since finding, changing various bits. It was advertised as weighing 15.5kg. I suspect mine weighs a bit more.

From what I have seen this is close to an LHT. But EVERYONE says the LHTs don't feel heavy when loaded. My Dawes does.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

I can't help you on a loan; I live in London and have been riding it again since the winter winds were over. It's the non disc version and from trying the weight of others, I don't think it means much extra. As others say, when it is unloaded, it feels slow but is that because I expect to go fast on an unloaded bike? I have three bikes, all steel. One road bike which is great for what it is meant to do; scoot around quickly and enjoy some speed. Another steel beast, a Genesis Longitude which is great on the trails and coastal paths. The SLT is by far the best I have. In fact, at age 70, possibly the best I have had and am likely to have. I've tried steel, aluminium and even carbon but none have incurred in me the same faith for long term usage( and abuse ) no matter what. As a rather sad addendum, it's great for hauling the shopping from the supermarket. Buy one, get the vibe. Look at the Surly US website if you want to see the love and even the self ridicule that Surly inspires.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thehairs1970 wrote:
Byronius Maximus wrote:I recently did a 5 month tour in South America on a disc trucker. If you are not expecting it to be heavy then you are in for a shock!.

I'm not expecting a whippet by any stretch. My current tourer is a Dawes Kalahari. I found it abandoned in a hedge. It went unclaimed and I've built it up since finding, changing various bits. It was advertised as weighing 15.5kg. I suspect mine weighs a bit more.

From what I have seen this is close to an LHT. But EVERYONE says the LHTs don't feel heavy when loaded. My Dawes does.

It depends what you mean by don't feel heavy. If you are talking about handling then it does handle well loaded. If you mean it's going to feel lighter than it is climbing, it doesn't matter what the frame geometry is it weighs what it weighs its not an anti gravity machine.
I have one and I'm very happy with it and I accept that it's a very solid touring bike with a weight that you would expect from such a bike.