% Gradient sometimes shown

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
doodah

% Gradient sometimes shown

Post by doodah »

Evening All,

I have been using https://cycle.travel/map for planning a bike route. When I use the elevation key I get a profile of the route and a height and distance indicator - excellent.

However, there have been occasions when the pointer of the mouse has hovered on the ascent / descent of the profile and given me the % gradient. Then, when I actually would like to know the % gradient, I get zilch.

I do not know how to make it perform this task on demand. Can anyone please guide me?

Thanks.

Doodah
andrew_s

Re: % Gradient sometimes shown

Post by andrew_s »

You get a gradient bubble on the profile only when the mouse pointer is close to the profile line.
If it wanders away, you still get the vertical bar and the spot on the track, but no gradient.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Afraid not Andrew. I get the bubble showing the height but no bubble showing the % - no matter how close to the line or on it even.

Thanks for your time though.

Doodah
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It doesn't do it for long routes (roughly 80 miles and over). If you split into shorter routes it'll be fine.

(Basically it's because retrieving elevation is a fairly processor-intensive operation, and the more it has to fetch, the more load it puts on the server. I might increase the limit at some point but I'm a bit wary of overloading the server!)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Is there any way to get the maximum gradient of a route from c.t? Or the average gradient of a climb without chopping it out of a route?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Unread postby Richard Fairhurst » 19 Feb 2019, 8:30pm

It doesn't do it for long routes (roughly 80 miles and over). If you split into shorter routes it'll be fine.t doesn't do it for long routes (roughly 80 miles and over). If you split into shorter routes it'll be fine.

Ah, that explains it then.

Simples when you know the answer Sergei.

Thank you.

Doodah

Edit:

My route is quite long - 2100kms. There is only a particular stretch that I want to profile for % gradient. Is there a way of cutting that particular section out for analysis, or do I have to plan another route to get the %?

Thanks Richard
doodah

Post by doodah »

Hi,

Just re plotted the section that I was anxious about.

Amazing to see the % profile and give a true understanding of what the whole actual ascent is going to be.

Looking at the spike in the big picture sent my sphincter into palpitations, but once seeing it unravelled was more palatable albeit 17.6% mingled with the odd 15% and 12% was shown for a short stretch.

You will all be glad to know that normal service has resumed to my anatomy.

"Time for bed" said Zebedee.

Doodah
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Ouch 17.6% but at least you’ll be prepared.
doodah

Post by doodah »

[quote] MrsHJ » 20 Feb 2019, 4:36pm

Ouch 17.6% but at least you’ll be prepared.
/quote]

Yes, one would think so. There are a couple of 17% climbs very near to me and I use them as a benchmark for both my physical and mental ability to assess long rides. The only real problem is ascending the climbs fully loaded. I haven't tried that yet - well, not fully loaded!!

Knowing what lies ahead can also have a negative impact on one's approach and the flip side is that ignorance can be bliss - only recently told to me again yesterday.

I have already made the assessment that I can be in a position to stop overnight, not far from this climb, so I should be fresh and energised - depending on the liquid nourishment the night before.

Anyway, Richard solved my problem and for that I am thankful. A great planner isn't it.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yep- plenty of 17% plus in south Devin but it does tend to put me off when I’m not fit and as you say loaded is a challenge- I reckon close to my limit when loaded more due to bike balance than leg strength.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MrsHJ wrote:Ouch 17.6% but at least you’ll be prepared.

I doubt if 'prepared' is the right term! :lol:

I get to tackle a fair number of 20% and steeper stuff locally (the Col du Jenkin Road is but one of many steep hills even within the city let alone moving out into the Pennines!) You'd therefore think i'd be prepared for the odd steep bit on a tour but when you go round a corner and the sign gleefully informs you of a stretch of 25% and you are lumping all the camping gear, well the heart sinks! :roll: I've never resorted to pushing but i've often done a climb in lots of short stretches!

At the end of the day if you do end up walking so what? The only person that might be bothered is yourself and it's supposed to be fun.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
doodah

Post by doodah »

[quote]I doubt if 'prepared' is the right term! :lol: /quote]

Quite right, foxy. So many things come into play - Mental attitude, stamina, time of day, weather, crumpet and French tartes - the list is endless, ooh la la.

The 2nd + 3rd days of the Pennine Cycle Way last year were brutal, notably the climb out of Sowerby Bridge and that laughable cobblestone road out Hebden Bridge to Heptonstall. I couldn't even get traction with my feet to push the damned bike up. The rain didn't help either!!

I'm not a purist (I think that's quite evident) and will walk if necessary, but that definitely ain't fun. I do believe it's harder than cycling. No, I just wanted to get a "feel" for the profile and I now have that. I have to go out of my way for this little uphill jaunt and I now know it's doable and worth the detour. Of course, there is the buzz of the descent to look forward to.

I don't envy you living in Sheffield with hills everywhere.