Churches - interesting

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LinusR

Re: Churches - interesting

Post by LinusR »

Two of my favourites - both in Essex.

St Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea. One of the oldest buildings in Britain (7th century) and on the very edge of Essex. Built on the site of a Roman fort. Always a good trip out from London to visit it and along the gravel track.

Imageend-of-essex

Greenstead Church, near Ongar. The oldest wooden church in the world. Built mid 11th century.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

7E1B7C5F-ABC0-4EE2-BA52-253D947503BE.jpeg
E87024AC-F37F-4624-BE69-8A9C00C69608.jpeg
7C09E206-83FF-4C0A-BE04-899B01693C40.jpeg

This was an interesting church we found as we cycled from St David’s to Lowestoft last June. We spent over an hour in there sheltering from the midday sun.

St Mary’s Church at Coney Weston in Suffolk.
It was well worth a visit with lots of interesting facts posted around the church. It had had a tower which had collapsed in the 1600’s and it had never been rebuilt. There were some very old floor tiles hidden underneath a carpet (which you could lift to see). There was a commemoration plaque by American service men from 1944. A local spinster had played the organ for about 76 years.
One fact they didn’t tell you which we spotted. There was no electricity to church. The bellows for the organ had to be pumped by hand. At the end of the pews and on the walls were candle holders and there were many gas heaters dotted around the church. Outside there were two examples of ‘mortsafes’ (I hope you can read the information board - click on the photo to get a clearer image or google it).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

radek wrote:i like churches. I am religious, but apart from that there is something special about them. Perhaps place/feeling of sanctuary? hmm...

One of the interesting things to me is how the different "religions'" buildings differ.

Go into a Catholic Church in the UK and they tend to be fairly utilitarian and lack the opulence and splendour of a Catholic Church on the continent

The historical editing and vandalism that each religion has inflicted on these buildings is also a point of interest
honesty

Post by honesty »

The church at Stanton Harold in Leicestershire is very nice, though you have to time when it’s open. Just over the boarder in Derbyshire you’ve got the church on the hill at Breedon where you can wonder how much of a back hander someone had to pay to be able to quarry up to an Iron Age hill fort and a medieval church...

Down in Somerset way I’ve always liked Wells cathedral.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sometimes a modern frontage hides an ancient church. That's always a good find. And old interesting churches can be found in urban areas too, we tend to think of them as a rural feature but that's not exclusively so. The various Historic Churches Trusts are good for finding gems.

@Mercalia a sheela-na-gig can be seen (IIRC) in Stanton St Quintin, near Chippenham.

Old churches a couple of miles away from their vilages, for instance Pendock in Worcestershire, often mark the Christianisation of a pre-Christian holy site. Not always though.

The sense of peace you get is I think both spiritual (I'm not sure I'd describe myself as religious, and Christian is way too bold a word) and physical. (Might argue it's not really possible to separate the two.)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Saint Huberts Dunsop Bridge.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 416677.jpg

The one I tapped in but lost (see upthread).

If I'm non religious I am also no fan of catholicism in particular (best not go into reasons) but I still like this place.

Close to the centre of the Kingdom, edge of Forest of Bowland, a small church which has always been empty when I have passed - just open the door, switch the light on and switch off when leaving. Some small hope for the world when churches can still be left unlocked and unattended during the day.

Apparently built with the winnings of a race horse and I thought I read once that a painting of said horse was in the church in thanks/homage.

I thought I had seen this painting on a previous visit but may have imagined it as I couldn't find it last time I was there.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The sense of peace you get is I think both spiritual (I'm not sure I'd describe myself as religious, and Christian is way too bold a word) and physical. (Might argue it's not really possible to separate the two.)

In a perverse way I think part of the peace is because this country being pretty godless these days the churches are very often, in fact more often than not, totally free of god followers. Leaving them for cyclists in search of a bit of history and peaceful contemplation.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I always make a point of visiting old parish churches because there you find a huge amount of social history.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

All Hallows Great Mitton.

https://flickeringlamps.com/2017/10/15/ ... at-mitton/

Interesting history (this part of lancashire was a hotbed of catholic resistance) and some very impressive tombs - Shireburn.

And looking at that web page I see that the cross in the graveyard is indeed as interesting as it seemed to architecturally ignorant me.

Some great views from the graveyard as well.

Always been empty when I have popped by.

Amazing how things lodge in the back of the brain/can be recalled to the front.

For on visiting it for the first time not long ago I remembered a primary school teacher once commenting on how impressive the Shireburn tombs were.

Special cyclists feature - this church has a very nice publicly accesible toilet - it is part of some worldwide toilet twinning scheme. Came as news to me that such a thing existed. There's a photo of its twin - seem to remember a humble wooden construction somewhere in Africa.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

loch eck steve wrote:When cycling up the west coast of Scotland last year came across Applecross church , very simply done but beautiful in a spectacular setting .

Aberdaron on the Llyn Peninsula is like that, and it has the R.S. Thomas connection of course. Best visited out of season (or early/late in the day) as the village can get a bit touristy in summer.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

While cycling on one of my favourite routes around the Lincolnshire Wolds - had some friends from the south of England up for a few days - we visited churches where tables and chairs were provided outside with tea and coffee making facilities and an honesty box.

The southerners were blown away by the hospitality.

One of Betjeman's favourite counties and a fine one for cycling.

J.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Downham church. Lancashire

Not so much for the church exterior/interior, though good enough.

But the view from the porch as you leave.

If there's a better view from a British church porch I would dearly love to know about it.

It's so good I could imagine a dead person leaving the church leaping out of the coffin with joy at the wonder of the world and nature, before, not wanting to inconvenience folk and delay the trip to the pub, settling to their ordained fate.

Will try to take a pic next time I'm there.

I cycled there one Christmas day morn a few years ago and was told by the good humoured bunch leaving that I was too late.

Didn't tell them that this heathen had just come for the view, with my back turned to god's house.
Sweep
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
loch eck steve wrote:When cycling up the west coast of Scotland last year came across Applecross church , very simply done but beautiful in a spectacular setting .

Aberdaron on the Llyn Peninsula is like that, and it has the R.S. Thomas connection of course. Best visited out of season (or early/late in the day) as the village can get a bit touristy in summer.

Yes Applecross is probably best visited out of season as well , since the advent of the north coast 500 it is much too touristy
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Blythburgh church ( ‘The Cathedral of the Marshes’.), Suffolk on the A12 near Southwold. Is a very large magnificant church out of proportion to the area standing at the edge of marshes. Oliver Cromwell used it to stable his horses during the Civil War and there are musket ball holes over the walls
OS TM 45057 75345
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Sweep wrote:Yes I know there is another thread but that to me seems a tad box ticking.

Am more interested in details of intereresting/nice (OK - terrible word I know but it's what I mean) churches, without I stress getting into too learned architectural details where I must admit I tend to switch off.

I am a confirmed - virulent at times - atheist but do like stopping off at them on my bike wanderings for various things.

@ Nice atmosphere.

@ Bits of local history

@ Interesting tombs and gravestones.

@ Nice spots to make an espresso round the back

@ Generally godless Britain means that there is a fair chance of peace and quiet.

@ Some have publicly accessible toilets.

@ Books for sale, though admittedly a tendency towards the worthy/pure/non controversial.

@ Shelter - have sheltered from terrible downpours in porches and lychgates.

Over to you chaps - will add some of mine later

Likewise,I make Richard Dawkins look Tame,but do enjoy wandering the odd church and grounds.