Churches - interesting

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Churches - interesting

Post by Sweep »

durhambiker wrote:
Sweep wrote:Yes I know there is another thread but that to me seems a tad box ticking.

Am more interested in details of intereresting/nice (OK - terrible word I know but it's what I mean) churches, without I stress getting into too learned architectural details where I must admit I tend to switch off.

I am a confirmed - virulent at times - atheist but do like stopping off at them on my bike wanderings for various things.

@ Nice atmosphere.

@ Bits of local history

@ Interesting tombs and gravestones.

@ Nice spots to make an espresso round the back

@ Generally godless Britain means that there is a fair chance of peace and quiet.

@ Some have publicly accessible toilets.

@ Books for sale, though admittedly a tendency towards the worthy/pure/non controversial.

@ Shelter - have sheltered from terrible downpours in porches and lychgates.

Over to you chaps - will add some of mine later

Likewise,I make Richard Dawkins look Tame,but do enjoy wandering the odd church and grounds.

+1

it is I suppose possible to read some of those earlier folks as being driven to look beyond the purely material but at the same time keen to not have their guts torn out and burned because of some imagined sin (possibly by neighbours with an agenda) against an imagined and used god.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

LinusR wrote:Two of my favourites - both in Essex.

St Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea. One of the oldest buildings in Britain (7th century) and on the very edge of Essex. Built on the site of a Roman fort. Always a good trip out from London to visit it and along the gravel track.

Imageend-of-essex

Greenstead Church, near Ongar. The oldest wooden church in the world. Built mid 11th century.

Have been to St Peters thanks to a trip lead by the aforemetioned Barry Mason.

You?

The wooden church - one of the London cycling groups quite often goes there.

Must join them one weekend.
Sweep
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Sweep wrote:

You?

I knew Barry - a great rider leader, and so much more. I can't remember who took me to St Peter's first. The picture of the chapel is one I took 18 months ago - a Central London CTC ride led by a friend. Our group is in the foreground.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

LinusR wrote:
Sweep wrote:

You?

I knew Barry - a great rider leader, and so much more. I can't remember who took me to St Peter's first. The picture of the chapel is one I took 18 months ago - a Central London CTC ride led by a friend. Our group is in the foreground.

yes -a great guy - even if he did once near get me killed once - see "black ice" thread.

Feel free to pm me - possible we have met.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
LinusR wrote:Two of my favourites - both in Essex.

St Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea. One of the oldest buildings in Britain (7th century) and on the very edge of Essex. Built on the site of a Roman fort. Always a good trip out from London to visit it and along the gravel track.

Imageend-of-essex

Greenstead Church, near Ongar. The oldest wooden church in the world. Built mid 11th century.

You?

on my list also
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sweep wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:The sense of peace you get is I think both spiritual (I'm not sure I'd describe myself as religious, and Christian is way too bold a word) and physical. (Might argue it's not really possible to separate the two.)

In a perverse way I think part of the peace is because this country being pretty godless these days the churches are very often, in fact more often than not, totally free of god followers. Leaving them for cyclists in search of a bit of history and peaceful contemplation.

Yes I think that's one factor. But equally I've stopped at many churches where I've found members of the local congregation engaged in arranging the flowers and similar, and had interesting conversations with them. Occasionally tourists ditto but the conversation is less engaging, not surprisingly as they are less engaged with the locality. I only remember one occasion when I bumped into the vicar.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am a non believer, a Humanist their online test tells me, but I absolutely love our churches. These days we arent building any :( which is a shame. When I enter a church I breathe in its history and spirituality, I dont really know what that is but its there.

Heres the little known St Botolphs at Swyncombe surrounded by Snowdrops and Aconites right now, it magic.

2019-02-21_07-30-44.jpg

And heres Pishill church adjacent to the Chiltern way with a ghosty offering refreshments to passer bys

Al ...great thread Sweep!
Attachments
2019-02-21_07-31-24.jpg
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
sjs

Post by sjs »

foxyrider wrote:If I stopped at all the interesting churches around here i'd never get anywhere! :roll:

Last one I did actually take a look at was Alstonefield on the Staffs/Derby border in the PD. Norman arch inside - nice little church with a galleried bell tower. Also self service tea and coffee available.

One might think that proximity to Dovedale would make this area too crowded to be pleasant, but not so. The area generally west of Hartington is good cycling country if you like hills, and has a lot of pleasant villages and churches (and pubs, for that matter). Wetton, Grindon, Butterton etc.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

sjs wrote:
foxyrider wrote:If I stopped at all the interesting churches around here i'd never get anywhere! :roll:

Last one I did actually take a look at was Alstonefield on the Staffs/Derby border in the PD. Norman arch inside - nice little church with a galleried bell tower. Also self service tea and coffee available.

One might think that proximity to Dovedale would make this area too crowded to be pleasant, but not so. The area generally west of Hartington is good cycling country if you like hills, and has a lot of pleasant villages and churches (and pubs, for that matter). Wetton, Grindon, Butterton etc.

Just beware of the hotspots like Hartington and Ilam and from Easter, the Tissington / High Peak trails. I certainly avoid the PD at weekends / holiday weeks as the number of grockles makes it less than pleasant to ride around. And you can't get near the cafes! (i'm sure a lot of the coffee options are made up) At least the church refreshments are straight forward - tea or coffee!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
sjs

Post by sjs »

St Botolph's church at Iken, north of Orford in Suffolk is one of my favourites. Also the thatched Hamlet church at Duddenhoe End, Essex, and the tiny church at Trentishoe, in Exmoor, which comes complete with a large collection of bats.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Your Suffolk reference reminded me.

St Andrews Covehithe - at the end of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeMSzbk6Ro

Bit of an oddity as it's mostly a ruin.

It is right out on the coast, and in fact just beyond it signs tell you not to walk to the sea from there due to eroding cliffs - you have to take a detour.

There is a small row of houses across the road so not totally isolated.

Will try to embed the vid later.
Sweep
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm another atheist church-visitor - recommend Lincolnshire - the Wolds, as someone has already mentioned (hilly than some expect) and the dead flat marshes to the east. The Churches Conservation Trust is an excellent organisation which keeps unused historic churches open and safe for us the visit. They have leaflets in local libraries and a website https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/ ... hurch-tab2
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had a neb at South Wheatley church earlier. (north Notts)

DSCN0674 - Copy.JPG

Been past a few times, thought i'd have a look today. I've no idea on the history (no on site information) but the arch has Norman elements and the tower includes medieval features.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Back in the 80's there was an annual ride ... 12 Churches i seem to remember .
I took part twice it was a great day out ... so much better than the reliability runs of the day.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:Had a neb at South Wheatley church earlier. (north Notts)

DSCN0674 - Copy.JPG

Been past a few times, thought i'd have a look today. I've no idea on the history (no on site information) but the arch has Norman elements and the tower includes medieval features.

Is it just a tower?

Can't see the rest of it.

If just a tower. what happened to the rest?
Sweep