Churches - interesting

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ossie

Re: Churches - interesting

Post by ossie »

Saint Nicholas Church, Little Braxted, Essex en route to Harwich, August this year. I often seek out churches when I need a break.
This was built in 1120.

https://www.essexinfo.net/littlebraxted ... -nicholas/
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Branscombe church south devon, St Winifred's.
Saw this on my coastal ride, worth a picture.
Has some unusual features in and outside.
Some history, like a lot of churches.
https://www.britainexpress.com/counties ... scombe.htm
Attachments
97945DC5-FDCA-4607-8855-9322AD8CFE6A.jpeg
90B71E75-036E-459A-9CFA-2A57C5D4F9FE.jpeg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

This is where the impercuneous go on Sundays. :lol:
Edithmead on the outskirts of Highbridge, Somerset
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:I- worth knowing if you are out on a cold wet day and need to take shelter for a bit too!

)

Yes, great for that. Even if the church is closed, the porches are very often open, with handy bench seats either side. Or, at the very least, the lych gate. Stood out a few downpours in those.
Sweep
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Saint James, Westhead, has this outdoor facility made from 3 panels of pierced cast iron, with a
cast representation of a bear's head at top left. It looks Victorian or Edwardian I would guess.
The piercing almost looks like a celtic knot. It has a useful instruction cast on the inside.
Has anyone else seen one of these ?
P1090130.JPG

P1090133.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has an inspiring article with pictures, about fofc, friends of friendless churches
Most of the exquisite buildings in the care of fofc are open 24/7
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Sweep wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I- worth knowing if you are out on a cold wet day and need to take shelter for a bit too!

)

Yes, great for that. Even if the church is closed, the porches are very often open, with handy bench seats either side. Or, at the very least, the lych gate. Stood out a few downpours in those.

Me too. And there is often a tap for filling graveside flower vases.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

This one is an interesting 'oddity' in Norfolk
St Michael the Archangel at Booton (near Reepham).
booton_StMichael_820x530.jpg

A gothic revival architecture/French gothic style church which comes as quite a surprise.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

St Andrews, next to my house. 12 bells, there was a bell foundry here. Monday evening there is 2 hours of bell ringing practice. Loads of history.
On Sundays the kids coming to the evening service play football in the graveyard. Busted my workshop window once. The vicar Ed says, they dont mind they are at peace.
Went to the Carol service last night probably more than 200 in attendance. A thriving church, nice to see it these days.

IMG-20180822-WA0007.jpg

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Visited an old church in a small town
The lady at the desk is retired, her job is interesting enough, strange people come from all over the world
'When I get home, my husband asks me to tell what happened in the church, what interesting people I talked to', she enthused
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Marble Church at Bodelwyddan is one of my favourites
aflook

Post by aflook »

+1 for Aberdaron
Slept in the chuch porch at Borley, Essex, many years ago hoping to experience the supernatural. Nothing doing.(Why did I do it? I was a committed atheist even back then).
Lud's Church in Staffordshire- not a real church, but a ravine said to be the site of the Green Chapel in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
St.-Swithun-upon-Kingsgate in Winchester - tiny and atmospheric.
Sandham Memorial Chapel, Hampshire. Incredibly moving murals by Stanley Spencer about life in WWI. I think they make you pay to go in, now.
Will now go out of my way to visit some of these chuches mentioned, especially the ones near me!
I also wish to visit Rudstone for the monolith, near the finish (or start) of the Way of the Roses.
Nice to see that so many of us atheists are interested in the spiritual (in its broadest sense) side of life.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

On a tiny island between the Menai Bridges is a small church. Two of my friends were married there. The congregation was too big for the church so I was happy to stand outside in the sunshine, watching the gulls dive in the upwellings of the Swellies. Dedicated to Sant Tsilio.
The church is reached via the Belgian Promenade, built by Belgian refugees as a gesture of thanks for their reception in WWI. This runs alongside the Straits under the bridge.
There is an even smaller church on another tiny island at Porth Cwyfan, near Aberffraw also on Ynys Mon. This one has no access at high water, I have never stumbled across the rocks to inspect it. Dedicated to Sant Cwyfan.

[img]
Church%20Bay%20Island.jpg
[/img]

[img]
Church%20Island%20Menai.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
Church Island Menai.jpg
Church Island Menai.jpg (21.18 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Church Bay Island.jpg
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame