Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: New Route Planner

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

In theory it tries to be clever (this is usually a bad idea). If it recognises your IP address as coming from the UK, then it will prioritise London, UK over London, Ontario. If you're from Canada it will do it the other way round. But it's a very imperfect metric.

If you're logged in then you can set your country (for the current session) from the user profile page. Hmm... I should probably make that persist across sessions.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:If you're logged in then you can set your country (for the current session) from the user profile page. Hmm... I should probably make that persist across sessions.

Thanks. It would be good if it persisted because the detection doesn't seem to be working correctly. On typing London, it suggests New London, Connecticut, London, Ontario and London, England, in that order. It seems keener to suggest UK places if I stop before typing the final letter, which is odd (although not London as there are Londo streets and so on - but Boston and Birmingham both do it).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Never dared to ask. But it looked good when I tried a random track.
The only thing I didn't like, was the cyclist shown during the uploading. :(

That's not my style of cycling. :lol:
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Richard Fairhurst

mjr wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:Thanks. It would be good if it persisted because the detection doesn't seem to be working correctly.

It should now persist with your account - if you go to your profile page and set the country to 'United Kingdom', you should now get our Boston, Oxford, London etc. first.

Peter - I know, I'd love to find the time to draw a better one! But there are some lovely ones here - https://dribbble.com/search?q=bike+gif : not openly licensed so I can't easily use them, but some rather fun designs nonetheless (just mouse over each one to see it move).
Richard Fairhurst

And a bit of fun for a Friday: 3D elevation profiles!

Plan a route, click the elevation button, then select '3D'. Here's an (in)famous one to start with - you can roll the marble down the mountain...

http://cycle.travel/map?from=Le+Bourg-d ... lpe+d'Huez

(Best on a desktop browser with a fairly modern computer. You can drag and zoom using the mouse/trackpad.)
Attachments
alpe_dhuez.jpg
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Very shiny Richard. I like.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:And a bit of fun for a Friday: 3D elevation profiles!

Pretty good except the default zoom seems always to leave some of the route off-screen so I have to zoom out several times and I guess it's the scaling to cope with the likes of the Alpe which means that even the Mendips are rather hard to see unless I tilt to a very low angle. Could it rescale within bounds, like the 2D view seems to, please? Maybe keep the colours, to stop me passing the fens off as extreme ;)

Is it possible to slide the view instead of rotate it, too? I might be overlooking some control.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

mjr wrote:Is it possible to slide the view instead of rotate it, too? I might be overlooking some control.

Right click + drag.

Excellent work Richard! :D
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Plan a route, click the elevation button, then select '3D'.
???
The first part I understand. But where to find the '3D'-button?
Peter

deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Peter Molog wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:Plan a route, click the elevation button, then select '3D'.
???

Top right of the Elevation window - choose between 2D and 3D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

deliquium wrote:
Peter Molog wrote:
???

Top right of the Elevation window - choose between 2D and 3D
:twisted: :twisted:
Thanks. Need new glasses. :lol:
Peter

Richard Fairhurst

For anyone thinking of a cycling holiday in Spain, I've just added a big improvement to the routing there. cycle.travel now uses real traffic data on many Spanish roads (as it already does in the UK and US) to determine the weighting.

Spain is a tricky case because many national (N-) roads have now been bypassed by motorways (autopistas/autovias), so they can sometimes be quiet despite their seemingly important numbering. Meanwhile the regional/provincial roads can be much busier despite the road class. Given that paved roads can be few and far between in some areas, knowing which roads are quiet and rideable really helps in finding a good route.

Working on this has got me dreaming of a summer cycling holiday somewhere sunny...
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Quick note - I just planned a route from Hook of Holland to Wesel and the start point was in the water at the mouth of the river.

(1) First swim ashore.... :D

I assume I should have specified the ferry port!

Update: couldn't find the ferry port in the search box for the start point (something to consider as Google Maps can do this kind of thing) so had to take the nominal centre of Hook of Holland as the start point then drag the green pointer over to where the map showed the exit of the ferry port.

Overall well impressed so far.

I haven't fully checked, but I assume this follows the Eurovelo 15 route by default as that passes through Wesel?
mjr

Post by mjr »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Update: couldn't find the ferry port in the search box for the start point (something to consider as Google Maps can do this kind of thing) so had to take the nominal centre of Hook of Holland as the start point then drag the green pointer over to where the map showed the exit of the ferry port.

Yes, cycle.travel seems to regard the Harwich ferry port as "Berghaven, Rotterdam" which makes sense if you know the Hook is part of Rotterdam municipality but probably not otherwise. "Hoek van Holland Haven" will have you pushing along a footpath away from the rail station of that name.
ossie

Post by ossie »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Quick note - I just planned a route from Hook of Holland to Wesel and the start point was in the water at the mouth of the river.

(1) First swim ashore.... :D

I assume I should have specified the ferry port!

Update: couldn't find the ferry port in the search box for the start point (something to consider as Google Maps can do this kind of thing) so had to take the nominal centre of Hook of Holland as the start point then drag the green pointer over to where the map showed the exit of the ferry port.

Overall well impressed so far.

I haven't fully checked, but I assume this follows the Eurovelo 15 route by default as that passes through Wesel?

Just seen your other thread .

You come off the ferry, out and over the railway line and turn first right into the car park. Cycle through the car park and you are on your way. Straight into Rotterdam following whats called the LF12 on http://cycle.travel/map