Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: New Route Planner

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Mapbox GL is just a display library, no routing. cycle.travel uses a routing algorithm (Contraction Hierarchies, via the OSRM library) that doesn't scale easily to running on mobile devices. In theory one could implement a whole new routing algorithm but one thing at a time! ;)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Apologies if this has been answered in the preceding pages; how can I view the altitude data which pops up at the bottom of the map screen - when using the planner on an android mobile phone? I can access this feature from a tablet or laptop but can't see the little mountain icon on Moto E mobile.

Thanks for any advice, all the best, Simon
RickH

Post by RickH »

SimonCelsa wrote:Apologies if this has been answered in the preceding pages; how can I view the altitude data which pops up at the bottom of the map screen - when using the planner on an android mobile phone? I can access this feature from a tablet or laptop but can't see the little mountain icon on Moto E mobile.

Thanks for any advice, all the best, Simon

I've found you need to view the webpage in landscape (wide) view, to see the mountain (& other option) button. Once the altitude profile is visible you can return to portrait (upright) view & it stays visible.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks for that swift reply RickH, I tried your suggestion but still no luck. However, I am able to access all icons if I save the route first and then re-open from 'my journeys'. So, sorted in a way but a bit long winded,

All the best, Simon
mjr

Post by mjr »

The interface has gone a bit strange on Android since about a month ago. I can't pop up the icons/saved journeys/steps panel and dragging the map distorts like the map is on rubber or a globe.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
skelo

Post by skelo »

Yes, this planner is great, i planned my tour from York to Lucca on it last summer but had a few problems downloading it to a Garmin.

By the time I got to Milan I had resorted to road signs and google maps- hence a scary 2km on the Superstrada at Malpensa Airport - up against the crash barriers with no hard-shoulder, a bit of a 'brown trousers moment!

Need to invest in a better garmin before next summer! (or read the instructions!!) :D
Richard Fairhurst

mjr wrote:The interface has gone a bit strange on Android since about a month ago. I can't pop up the icons/saved journeys/steps panel and dragging the map distorts like the map is on rubber or a globe.

That's weird - I don't recall changing anything then that would be related. But I might have overlooked something. Any particular steps to reproduce? (I don't have an Android phone, but https://cycle.travel/map/mobile works fine on Chromium for me, which I'd think would be largely the same.)

skelo wrote:Yes, this planner is great, i planned my tour from York to Lucca on it last summer but had a few problems downloading it to a Garmin.

By the time I got to Milan I had resorted to road signs and google maps- hence a scary 2km on the Superstrada at Malpensa Airport - up against the crash barriers with no hard-shoulder, a bit of a 'brown trousers moment!

Need to invest in a better garmin before next summer! (or read the instructions!!) :D

Getting files compatible with the many different flavours of Garmin is a massive headache - they tend to be really fussy about the intricacies of GPX/TCX files. Anything I could try to fix?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Having posted how I got it to work (using Firefox on Android), I had the side menu & directions on the left when in landscape but not in portrait. It then went funny on me - much as described above. I tried force stopping Firefox & clearing cached data but normality has not been restored. :(

With Firefox (I don't know about other browsers) there is always the option to display the desktop version of the site which does give you everything that you can get on a computer, just working on a much smaller screen. :)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

skelo wrote:Yes, this planner is great, i planned my tour from York to Lucca on it last summer but had a few problems downloading it to a Garmin.

What precisely was the garmin problem?

I use an Etrex 20.

Download the gpx from cycletravel (the one that just shows turns) to

https://www.gpsies.com

for more editing/tuning (no reflection on the wonderful cycletravel - I just have particular needs) online.

Then download the result of that and edit the gpx file on my chromebook's offline caret editor - essentially to prune the file, number the points in sequence.

then very quickly check it on this to check that I haven't hamfisted the file:

https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp

It works very well.

Have done long trips on it, eg Birmingham -London if anything it's too good - it has an incredible talent for making sure I encounter very few pubs :)
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:https://cycle.travel/map/mobile works fine on Chromium for me, which I'd think would be largely the same.)

I found that the clear route icon does nothing, both on the phone at Xmas, and on the laptop on the mobile site just now (Chrome, both times).
I wanted to clear the route because an intended drag to pan had generated a route end point.
Refresh is OK if it's a local route, but less good if you've panned across to the other end of the country before trying to set up the route.
Richard Fairhurst

Ah, well spotted - thanks. Have just fixed that.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:.....

Ìt occurred to me it might be useful if the turn by turn instructions (from print link) could optionally be included in any map pdfs generated as it would then help avoid pairing of one's latest map with an out of date turn by turn print out.

Also, would it be hard to have an ability to chop a long route up into smaller sections (ie one big route becomes several small consecutive routes? Either automatically (eg 20 mile sections or by specifiying breakpoints?

Thanks for the maps :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
mjr wrote:The interface has gone a bit strange on Android since about a month ago. I can't pop up the icons/saved journeys/steps panel and dragging the map distorts like the map is on rubber or a globe.

That's weird - I don't recall changing anything then that would be related. But I might have overlooked something. Any particular steps to reproduce? (I don't have an Android phone, but https://cycle.travel/map/mobile works fine on Chromium for me, which I'd think would be largely the same.)

It only does it on one of my devices, actually. Maybe try an older Chromium? It seems to work in Firefox on there, but not in the stock browser (which like you I suspect behaves like Chromium). It used to work so it's a bit disappointing to lose it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Good idea. Just tried it with Chromium 44 and still no difference though, sadly.

Looking back I suspect this is a Leaflet thing (the Javascript map display library) - I upgraded to the Leaflet 1.0 series in November. There seem to be a bunch of plausible issues on the Leaflet issue tracker so I'll keep an eye open there.

In other news, going back to an old version of Chromium, then opening the new one again, appears to really foul up the cache and indeed the ability to show any pages! :|
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:... .....

further to https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83831&start=345#p1196610-----
I have also just thought of an addition: perhaps such pdfs/turn by turn printouts could have their last date modified printed on each page's footnote to avoid confusion?

Thanks for the maps :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)