Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:Can't one simply use c.t to route between EV6 and the campsites, loading three routes into the device at once? Even my current lightweight map app will show up to four routes at a time.

I think having another routing option like that will mean someone buying c.t another server.

I agree it could be challenging and I was only doing a qualified +1 to somebody else requesting the same feature.

I found on EV6 the signposting was "variable" and places non-existent so turn by turn along the EV sections would also be useful. I'm lazy and find I far prefer being able to cycle along looking at countryside, etc. rather than focusing on navigation, stopping to look at maps, etc. so turn by turn is great for me (but I recognise that others do and enjoy other ways).

I don't think it's a really crucial feature but sometimes I've made suggestions I thought would be a nightmare and 10 mins later Richard posts a "done" comment. Plus it can be useful for a developer to be aware of features the user-base would like to prioritise development (even for related functionality) - so it's as more in the spirit of feedback about how I use the site as an "I want this function".

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

MartinFox wrote:If I put a route on to my Garmin 530 as a tcx course some information seems to be missing when I look at the route on the Garmin. For example the route distance is given as 0 ft whereas on the website it is 30 miles. Also the elevation information seems to be missing, but only on the Garmin. However, once I start the ride it gives the distance to destination correctly. It is in the route summary that things seem to be missing or incorrect.

Hmm. Not sure about the total distance - cycle.travel certainly writes that to the TCX file, so I'm not sure why the Garmin isn't picking it up. If you could email me a cycle.travel file that doesn't work, and a Strava file that does, I'm happy to have a look. (info@cycle.travel should get to me.)

To have elevation included in the TCX, you need to have the elevation showing on the cycle.travel map page when you export it.

LittleGreyCat wrote:Using the flatter Eastern route for LEJOG reversed for a JOGLE takes me over the ferry at Cromarty.
It was pointed out that this is a seasonal ferry and only runs May to mid September.

I have a nagging feeling that I have raised this before because 3 of the 4 ferries up the Suffolk coast are seasonal as well, but my searching back is poor.

Anyway, is there a way to warn of seasonal ferries?
Assuming of course that there is accurate mapping information.
Another Mea Culpa because I have yet to contribute my first edit to OSM.

Sure! cycle.travel's turn-by-turn directions do warn that a ferry is seasonal if it's marked as such in OSM. I've just tweaked this so it'll give a warning at the top of the instructions too. Here's an example: https://cycle.travel/map?from=37.7546,- ... ,-119.1248 . If you plan a long route you'll need to have the turn-by-turn instructions showing for this to work - there's a button marked 'Show turn-by-turn instructions'.

The Cromarty ferry didn't have this tagged in OSM, but I've just fixed that and it'll show up next time c.t takes an OSM update.

(On a slight OSM technical tangent... cycle.travel looks for the seasonal=yes tag on roads/ferries. There is another way of marking part-time opening on OSM which is the infamously complex opening_hours tag. cycle.travel doesn't currently understand that, not least because there's no opening_hours parser yet in the Lua programming language that cycle.travel uses for its routing choices. So it's best to add seasonal=yes even if opening_hours is already tagged.)

Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:Can't one simply use c.t to route between EV6 and the campsites, loading three routes into the device at once? Even my current lightweight map app will show up to four routes at a time.

I think having another routing option like that will mean someone buying c.t another server.

I agree it could be challenging and I was only doing a qualified +1 to somebody else requesting the same feature.

I found on EV6 the signposting was "variable" and places non-existent so turn by turn along the EV sections would also be useful. I'm lazy and find I far prefer being able to cycle along looking at countryside, etc. rather than focusing on navigation, stopping to look at maps, etc. so turn by turn is great for me (but I recognise that others do and enjoy other ways).

I don't think it's a really crucial feature but sometimes I've made suggestions I thought would be a nightmare and 10 mins later Richard posts a "done" comment. Plus it can be useful for a developer to be aware of features the user-base would like to prioritise development (even for related functionality) - so it's as more in the spirit of feedback about how I use the site as an "I want this function".

The reason I'd really like to add a feature along these lines is that people often use c.t to plan routes broadly along a EuroVelo route (or NCN route, or whatever), but sometimes taking detours to campsites or interesting places en route.

This isn't always as easy as it should be. If you ask c.t for a route from (say) Chepstow to Holyhead, then it'll pretty much choose Lon Las Cymru (NCN 8 ) all the way, just cutting off a couple of digressions. But if you ask for a route along the north coast of France, the result is nothing like EuroVelo 4 unless you spend time adding lots of via points. That's not surprising - EV4 is pretty circuitous - but it does mean that, if you actually want to have a tour along EV4, cycle.travel isn't as easy as it could be.

In an ideal world I'd like to add a "follow waymarked cycle routes only" routing mode. In theory, that (unlike any other routing mode) actually shouldn't require buying a whole new routing server, because the network graph of bike routes is comparatively tiny. But the problem is that what look like continuous routes in OSM often have tiny little breaks in them - for example, someone might have just mapped the cycle route in one direction around a one-way town square, or forgotten to add a crossing across a busy road. So you'd ask for Oxford to London via waymarked routes only, and it'd refuse to find any route at all due to a lacuna in Wallingford or somewhere.

So what I'm working on is a way to load pre-planned routes for EuroVelo/NCN/etc. into the route-planner. This will make it easier for people to plan their tours along these routes, without being too sensitive to breakages in OSM. I've written all the code that takes the OSM data and makes a c.t route out of it, I just need to spend some time working out the best way to integrate it into the site!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's it possible to see who plotted a saved route found in a search?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks, Richard!
Richard Fairhurst

mjr wrote:It's it possible to see who plotted a saved route found in a search?

Not yet, or at least, not directly. I'm going to make the "search for other planned routes" features more prominent - now there are 140,000 of them - but need to do a couple of changes first to make people more aware that their routes might be visible. I've just today, for example, added a checkbox to the "save route" dialogue so that you can make your route private on saving, without having to go through the journeys page. I don't want the thieves-using-Strava thing to repeat itself!
Psamathe

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:.....
So what I'm working on is a way to load pre-planned routes for EuroVelo/NCN/etc. into the route-planner. This will make it easier for people to plan their tours along these routes, without being too sensitive to breakages in OSM. I've written all the code that takes the OSM data and makes a c.t route out of it, I just need to spend some time working out the best way to integrate it into the site!

Without understanding the internals or how routing works or anything but thinking about general algorithms (i.e. ignore this as it's probably a daft idea) but at the moment cycle.travel uses traffic data to prefer quieter routes over busier routes. So if you load a new pseudo route e.g. EV3 and set the traffic volume to be very low/zero then existing algorithms will have a preference to route on the EV3 route rather than the existing road structure.

Grief about junctions etc so maybe merge in the EV3 route to the existing road data and "fiddle" the traffic levels to make existing algorithms prefer the EV rout (or NCN or whatever). Or when you import traffic data if it covers for a cycle path identified from a list (and you have the EV tags as cycle.travel already displays EV labels) then "doctor" the traffic levels to e.g. 10% of the imported traffic level (or some value that works.

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

The idea is sound! Yes, it would certainly be possible to do that - i.e. create a routing profile which would include the full network, but with a higher ranking for EuroVelo/NCN routes. The issue (as mjr alluded) is the RAM usage for a full network - just adding one such profile would require another 16GB memory at current usage, and that only increases as OSM gets more detailed. The routing/rendering server is running pretty close to capacity as it is, so it would mean renting another server, and that means £££...
Richard Fairhurst

Just updated the maps and routing, and I've been able to incorporate more French traffic data this time. Route choices in about 50% of France are now informed by real traffic data, which helps cycle.travel do a better job of choosing the quietest routes. The picture shows the current coverage - I'm not aware of any more départements that publish their traffic data in machine-readable format, but always happy to hear of more!
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 10.30.16.png
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Richard, I am volunteering to help with a group of people wanting to get back into cycling. Its pretty hilly around here, is there any way to get cycle.travel to choose the least hilly circular routes. I know one can look at the elevation profile but I recall you recently mapped out a LEJOG route chosen on the basis of fewer serious hills?

TIA

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Just updated the maps and routing, and I've been able to incorporate more French traffic data this time. Route choices in about 50% of France are now informed by real traffic data, which helps cycle.travel do a better job of choosing the quietest routes. The picture shows the current coverage - I'm not aware of any more départements that publish their traffic data in machine-readable format, but always happy to hear of more!

Good news Richard. Thanks.

I'll look into why the Départements in my region (Occitania) is not providing this data.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Simply memories". Jean Taboureau
Richard Fairhurst

al_yrpal wrote:Richard, I am volunteering to help with a group of people wanting to get back into cycling. Its pretty hilly around here, is there any way to get cycle.travel to choose the least hilly circular routes. I know one can look at the elevation profile but I recall you recently mapped out a LEJOG route chosen on the basis of fewer serious hills?

I just did it by dragging the route around and using the elevation profile, I'm afraid! There isn't a magic trick to find the least hilly routes, though cycle.travel does of course try to avoid climbing where it can. The Chilterns are one of just a few places where I've had to get off and push on a National Cycle Network route so you have my sympathies...

Angstrom wrote:Good news Richard. Thanks.

I'll look into why the Départements in my region (Occitania) is not providing this data.

Brilliant - thank you. As far as I can gather, most (all?) départements do collect the data, but not all of them publish it - and even if they do, sometimes it's in machine-unreadable PDFs. Apparently a law was passed in 2014 to mandate a common format, but I've not yet seen any results even though the 2019 deadline has passed: http://tempogeo.blogspot.com/2016/08/li ... nnuel.html
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thanks Richard,

Love the new pdf bike map....perfect!

Using cycle.travel on my Android phone with Osmand+ installed it all works perfectly and seamlessly, so quick to get a decent route, and pick it up in Osmand+ giving one screen and voice directions with the phone in a stem mounted waterproof mount with an auxilliary battery stored below.

Remember you were working on an ability to drag the route, not available on the phone just yet...but, you can add a via point.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Good news Richard. Thanks.

Brilliant - thank you. As far as I can gather, most (all?) départements do collect the data, but not all of them publish it - and even if they do, sometimes it's in machine-unreadable PDFs. Apparently a law was passed in 2014 to mandate a common format, but I've not yet seen any results even though the 2019 deadline has passed: http://tempogeo.blogspot.com/2016/08/li ... nnuel.html

A followup on this subject Richard:
After our exchange I inquired about why my Département (34) had not published the data as per the cited law. Good news: I received a few days ago a positive answer, saying that they are late publishing it but they expect it to happen around the June time frame (given the current uncertainty, a delay would not surprise me, but it is under way).
This encourages me to duplicate this mail to other neighbouring départments. Possibly, requests like mine are helping push compliance to this law up the priority ladder.
A bit of boasting won't hurt, will it? :wink:
Richard Fairhurst

Result! Thanks Angstrom. I'll look forward to that.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

I'm struggling a bit to search by city name in Spain. It seems that CT searches city names only in English tags when they exist.

I did not know that "Cordoba" is "Cordova" in English.
I tried "Cordoue" (French) which did not work, then "Cordoba", the local name (which shows on the map), to no avail.
I was afraid that "Cordova" was another locality in Andalucia and that's why I ended-up selecting on the map, before I tried in the end the "Cordova". I checked on OSM and all names are properly recorded in many languages (including French).

Is that a bug in CT or a adverse effect of how things are labelled in OSM?