Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
monxton

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by monxton »

How do I fix the listed bike shops? Owens Cycles in Four Marks has been closed for about 18 months now (fortunately their Steep shop is still there). Hargroves Cycles in Winchester still exists, but not where it is marked on cycle.travel. It's correct in OSM. I don't see a way to edit these myself.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Question for Richard:

I used to use point to point routes a lot but have recently taken to just downloading tracks from cycle travel and following the line.
Initially I downloaded without altitude info (thought it would be a simpler file) but stopped doing this after my Etrex's seemed to then insist on processing the file using the altitude info in my loaded openfietsmap maps - took forever for the tracks to load and the etrex's somewhat puny processor sometimes even produced a freeze.
So I now download the tracks with altitude info. I didn't think I would need the info but it means the tracks load straight away.
On a recent up and down up and down ride in the chilterns I peered at my etrex more closely than usual and noticed that it was successively counting down to High Point Low Point High Point etc.
Very useful, and particularly encouraging as I laboured up a great big hill out of High Wycombe.
Is this a function of cycle travel or is it something to do with my garmin, or even the maps?
If cycletravel, can I ask how it is done? ie what the "window" is for deciding on the point of the "high point", "low point" ?
I ask as there were clearly times where climbing towards a "high point" there were clearly some points where the road dropped but the garmin continued to count to a higher point some distance ahead.
Last edited by Sweep on 19 May 2021, 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Hi Richard,

When I open cycle.travel.map it starts with the OpenStreetmap-layer. The cycle.travel-layer has disapeared. :?
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

That happens overnight once a month when I update the mapping - if you're viewing on desktop, you'll see it says "we're just updating our maps" in the top left. It takes about 10 hours to run the map update. (The routing update takes longer.)

It's back now and updated, in Europe at least - it's now the small hours in America so I'm running the update for their mapping!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 18 May 2021, 8:58am That happens overnight once a month
Ahh, never seen it before. Thanks for the answer.
I look never overthere. :lol:
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
monxton

Post by monxton »

monxton wrote: 15 May 2021, 1:25am How do I fix the listed bike shops? Owens Cycles in Four Marks has been closed for about 18 months now (fortunately their Steep shop is still there). Hargroves Cycles in Winchester still exists, but not where it is marked on cycle.travel. It's correct in OSM. I don't see a way to edit these myself.
Fixed, I see, thank you. (I can still find the ex-shops if I search for them, but they are no longer shown on the map.) So I guess the answer to my question was that I can't fix them myself?
Richard Fairhurst

It's both really! The bike shops on the map are from OpenStreetMap data, so any edit you make to OSM will show up there in due course. (cycle.travel takes an update from OSM every month or so.) The searchable ones are from an Association of Cycle Traders database which is a bit out-of-date now. I need to take a look at it, but it's tied up with the city pages which are the ugly duckling of cycle.travel really - I'm planning to do a bunch of work on them later this year.
monxton

Post by monxton »

I had a routing problem just here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.31816/-1.36967 about a month ago. There was a stile in the middle of the road, so I moved it a short distance up the footpath.

After the recent map update, I returned to update my planned route through that node .... and cycle.travel still refused to route through it. What did I miss?
Richard Fairhurst

The routing updates after the mapping (for boring technical reasons!) - usually this would take about a day for Europe/UK, but this time I need to run Europe/UK, America, and Australia/NZ all together so that I can push a routing server update in one big bang. It should be ready some time this afternoon.
monxton

Post by monxton »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 20 May 2021, 9:27amIt should be ready some time this afternoon.
Sorry for being impatient, NCN 41 is routable again now.
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

Hi Richard

I just used the multiple day trip/overnight feature for a ride. It worked very well except a annoying naming problem. Say my multiple day route is called "Long Name"

When I split the file into the appropriate days, it names them "Long Name Day 1", "Long Name Day 2" etc

Unfortunately on my Etrex, I can only see about 12 (?) characters of the name or so. I downloaded them and renamed the GPX files to some thing short and in order, but the etrex obviously uses an internal name, as they showed up as *Long nam...." so I could not tell them apart.

Would it be possible to split the files into "Day 1 + name" rather than "Name + day 1" so I can tell them apart!

Thanks
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

GPX files are plain text, so you can just open them in Notepad++ or Wordpad or whatever, and search/change the internal name.

You need to take care not to break the tags [in square brackets], but just changing a name is simple enough
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

why if you ask for a route from carlisle to inverness,
and then ask for a round trip,
does the route divert to and then come straight back from the doubtless charming town/hamlet of Claonaig?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 6:07pm GPX files are plain text, so you can just open them in Notepad++ or Wordpad or whatever, and search/change the internal name.

You need to take care not to break the tags [in square brackets], but just changing a name is simple enough
on chromebooks I use a very good extension called "caret" for gpx editing.
works offline.
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 6:16pm why if you ask for a route from carlisle to inverness,
and then ask for a round trip,
does the route divert to and then come straight back from the doubtless charming town/hamlet of Claonaig?
Claonaig is the Arran ferry, which is doubtless quite a reasonable way back to Carlisle.
Why it abandons the idea and then goes back to use the Portavadie & Gourock ferries instead is anyone's guess