Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:10am Is there a simple app that one can use to add notes to the OSM map of where you think there's an error.
Go to www.osm.org, position the map and click the symbol that looks like a speech bubble with a +

There are apps like I think CityZen and websites like onosm.org which do similar things but I wouldn't like to recommend which people will like best.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:22am
st599_uk wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:10am Is there a simple app that one can use to add notes to the OSM map of where you think there's an error.
Go to www.osm.org, position the map and click the symbol that looks like a speech bubble with a +
Many thanks for this.
I have a couple of times looked into contributing to OSM as a way of paying back but am afraid that though I am relatively tech-savvy it was all rather beyond me. So I can best serve I think by pointing out issues for those cleverer than me to sort.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Quick footnote - you can add notes to OSM anonymously, but if you can do it while signed in to OSM, that helps enormously. (Basically, if you’ve signed in, you’ve promised “this is my knowledge and it’s not copied from anywhere”, so it can be used without further checking.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I have created a round trip route by creating a route from A to B and then clicking the Round Trip button. The route that cycle.travel has proposed is fine, except it is anti clockwise and I want to ride it clockwise. If following a map this would be fine, but if I send it to my Garmin device I will be directed around it anti clockwise.
If I click the Reverse route button then A and B are swapped so that the route starts at B. Is there a means of reversing the direction of a round trip route or have I come up with a feature request?
Richard M
Cardiff
Richard Fairhurst

If you have an A-B-A circular route, you can "pin" it by adding a via point somewhere on the outbound journey. At that stage cycle.travel will add a via point on the return journey too.

You can then click the reverse route button, and it'll do what you want (I think).

(Circular routes are a bit of a special case - essentially an A-B-A journey has a hidden via point on the return leg to force it away from the outbound. When you edit it, that hidden point becomes just a normal non-hidden one.)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 1:46pm If you have an A-B-A circular route, you can "pin" it by adding a via point somewhere on the outbound journey. At that stage cycle.travel will add a via point on the return journey too.

You can then click the reverse route button, and it'll do what you want (I think).

(Circular routes are a bit of a special case - essentially an A-B-A journey has a hidden via point on the return leg to force it away from the outbound. When you edit it, that hidden point becomes just a normal non-hidden one.)
That worked, and the result was an A-A journey with three via points. The points are the one I added as above, the original 'B' and the hidden point.
Richard M
Cardiff
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Having just moved house some 300 miles away how do I reset my default location?

Thanks.
John
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

During our touring holiday in across French Jura (South -> North) and back through Switzerland, we used a local train twice to avoid a busy section or to save time and a boat to cross lake Geneva, before continuing our journey in France.

It'd be cool to use a derivative form of "Direct" (letting a route be traced without routing) which would suspend counting the distance between those 2 waypoints in the journey's total distance. I'd use it between 2 train stations or harbours (or anything else of course).

It isn't a problem to create multiple journeys but since CT is so easy to work with on multi-day tours now with the new "Overnight" feature, it makes keeping one single journey file and modifying it along the way so much coomfortable that I've come to wish for that feature.

Anyone else could use this feature?
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
Richard Fairhurst

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 9:02am Having just moved house some 300 miles away how do I reset my default location?
You can do this at https://cycle.travel/user/profile - there's a "Home location" setting at the bottom right.
Angstrom wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 9:31amIt'd be cool to use a derivative form of "Direct" (letting a route be traced without routing) which would suspend counting the distance between those 2 waypoints in the journey's total distance. I'd use it between 2 train stations or harbours (or anything else of course).
Good idea. I wonder if maybe we just shouldn't count longer "Go direct" legs in the distance tally - anything that's (say) 100m is probably just getting past an OSM barrier or going along a stretch of main road that c.t doesn't like, but as you say, a 20-mile journey is likely to be a train or ferry or similar.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks. Obvious, really.
John
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 1:59pm
Angstrom wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 9:31amIt'd be cool to use a derivative form of "Direct" (letting a route be traced without routing) which would suspend counting the distance between those 2 waypoints in the journey's total distance. I'd use it between 2 train stations or harbours (or anything else of course).
Good idea. I wonder if maybe we just shouldn't count longer "Go direct" legs in the distance tally - anything that's (say) 100m is probably just getting past an OSM barrier or going along a stretch of main road that c.t doesn't like, but as you say, a 20-mile journey is likely to be a train or ferry or similar.
It does make sense. It is simpler indeed.
However, wouldn't it risk raising questions from users if they aren't aware of the behaviour and start counting or comparing with other devices in which they import the track?

No easy answer on that one I'm afraid.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Hey Richard, I haven’t noticed your map section for finding a fixed route before but I’m looking at it now, thank you- it looks like a should have a great source for my next few tours.

Thank you too for your trails over the last couple of weeks. I had only one not great section and that was a case of a whole load of very bad choices through an industrial area so I was ok with a not very rideable gravel road compared to the dual carriageway.

Hopefully some pennies should be coming your way from booking.com commission.

https://cycle.travel/browse
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 10:45am Broadly: orange 3.5%-7%, red 7%-10.5%, maroon 10.5%+. It slightly averages it out so that the graph looks continuous rather than rapidly flitting from red to orange to red to maroon etc., which is why you might sometimes see point readings either side of what the colour would suggest.
Richard, you'll be pleased to know that your elevation prediction is getting very good!. Today's ride (https://cycle.travel/map/journey/264420) suggested 2700m; my Wahoo recorded 2770m of climbing. Only odd thing is that your max suggested 34.5% (which was a bit worrying!) but I watched the Wahoo screen on the steepest bits and didn't see it go above 22%.
Chris F, Cornwall
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

Hi Richard

Just a thought on a feature, that I would find handy!

Could you make it so when I look at the route summery (i.e. the x meters on main road, y on cyclepath, z on footpath, etc.) clicking on the icon takes me to the next section of that type. I have been doing some ideas planning for my next few tours - and finding where the route is on a main road requires scrolling down the turn by turn details, where often just changing the overall route slightly avoids the main road or pedestrian bits.

No worries if it is difficult - but I thought I would ask.

Thanks again for your efforts
Richard Fairhurst

That is a brilliant idea so I've just done it. :D