Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote:Yup

thanks for that post above Vantage - only just seen it.

As you maybe know I very often use my own slightly labourously edited route files but I did recently use a track for a short linking bit for a London ride. It did load but I couldn't understand why it was taking so long to load a track of less than 7km.

Now sorted.

On checking the two files in caret (a text editor I use on my chromebooks) I also, eventually realised what the <ele> tag was all about - I have been semi-automatically stripping them out of my gpx files for ages. Of course it must be "elevation" - Duh!
Sweep
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

Hi Richard

Thanks as ever for a great product.

I have a couple of feature requests - related to "my routes".

I have quite a lot of routes now - I would like to be able to sort then on length - Some times I just only have time for a 20 mile - so I could have a quick look to see what is about of that length.

The second is that I would like to rate the route in some way and sort on that too - for example 1 to 10 as to how good they were for me - sometimes I cant remember how good or not they were, when I last rode then a few years ago. I could sort for the routes above 8 or look at the low scoring ones and rework them.

a side note - how do I delete a folder once I am done with it?

Thanks again for you effort - I understand that what is easy to ask for is not always easy to do!

BW
JMaude

Post by JMaude »

Deleting a folder. Open up the folder, delete each route and when empty you can then delete the folder.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Hi Richard.

I like the (relatively) new map base in CT named "OSM German style". It is more colorful (not an end but a means to an enhanced readability and more information)
Could it be possible to add a layer for contours and shading on that base map?

Thank you.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Simply memories". Jean Taboureau
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hi Richard. We're inviting people to download a West Norfolk map which uses cycle.travel's area map for the large-scale plan of King's Lynn because it's better than what we used to use. I copy-pasted the key onto it - hope that's OK. If you'd like a different credit on the download page, please just let me know.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

One, ever-so-minor-really, sorting issue. Being able to sort the list of entries in a folder when in map view.

I wanted to check the stats for a day in a trans USA ride, back in '96. Once I had that I thought I would have a go at recreating the entire route (as far as I could), a work in progress.

However! Having started in the middle, I worked backwards to the beginning from the day I started playing around with. And then forward from the day I had initially done. If I open the map view they are listed in the order created (sort of). I named them "Day 01 - A to B", etc so a name sort would put the list in the right order but that isn't available & it doesn't carry over the previously selected sort order.

Thanks.

(Click to enlarge)
(Click to enlarge)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

A question from the US!
Montana?? Started doing a route but towns are not showing.
Is this not available??
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Is there a way of making OSMAND offline maps look like cycle travel
(why/how do cycle travel maps look different from OSM maps?)

Thanks for the maps :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Is there a way of making OSMAND offline maps look like cycle travel
(why/how do cycle travel maps look different from OSM maps?)

I think so, yes, but you'd better ask osmand forum how.

cycle travel maps look different from OSM maps because of a different config of the rendering software, that converts the lines/points/routes stored in OSM into the graphics you see.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

On my Adriod phone I could make a route with CycleTravel and then download the track. But downloading doesn't work anymore. When tested on another android device, it doesn't work either. Has something changed, or am I doing something wrong?
I follow the normal procedure for downloading.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Peter Molog wrote:On my Adriod phone I could make a route with CycleTravel and then download the track. But downloading doesn't work anymore. When tested on another android device, it doesn't work either. Has something changed, or am I doing something wrong?
I follow the normal procedure for downloading.

It seems to work OK for me (Sony Xperia XZ1 with Android Pie using Firefox browser) both GPX track & TCX course (my preferred format) appeared in my download folder when I tapped the download button when I tried just now.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Hmmm.

I make a route, then tap on share.
Get this screen

then I tap on GPS
Get this screen

Tap on download and get the first screen again.
And nothing is downloaded.

:oops: :oops:
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Unfortunately Google/Android has been pratting around with downloads and randomly blocking them for a few months. :(

What browser are you using, Peter? Is it Chrome, or Firefox, or Samsung Browser, or...? Does it happen on all routes, or just a particular one?
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
RickH

Post by RickH »

I was using a saved route which may make a difference. And opening a saved route also gives a different interface, more like the desktop which I prefer. It also means it appears on the device with whatever name you saved it with.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Interseting. I just downloaded 2 routes,I have a Samsung Android Tablet, and they went to my Osmand.