Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by Sweep »

richardfm wrote:
Sweep wrote:Apologies if asked before.
I understand that the key for the maps is a pop up that can be accessed from the top right of the map but that some browser settings block this.
Mine does.
Would it be possible to also have this as a downloadable pdf?
I would find it very handy.

I've never noticed that link before, so thank you for that.
However, it didn't answer one thing that has been puzzling me. A route I have just created is shown partly as a purple line and partly as a green line. What do these represent? The route summary shows 4 different (in this case) types of road/cycle way surface, so I expected four colours for the route to show me busy roads, paved roads, traffic free and unpaved traffic free

ah so I'm not the only one who's eagle eyes didn't spot that tiddly link :)

the green line you refer to I think indicates a bit of the route which is traffic free/off road, on an old railway track or the like.

Others will be along soon with more info.
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Re: Cycle Travel suggestion!

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Hello.

I wondered if it would be easy to add a special via point that additionally indicated a printing split:

ie allowed a route's cue and map printouts to be automatically split into sub-sections (days/morning/afternoons etc) of cycling?

Thanks for all the maps. :D
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:
richardfm wrote:[...]
However, it didn't answer one thing that has been puzzling me. A route I have just created is shown partly as a purple line and partly as a green line. What do these represent? The route summary shows 4 different (in this case) types of road/cycle way surface, so I expected four colours for the route to show me busy roads, paved roads, traffic free and unpaved traffic free

ah so I'm not the only one who's eagle eyes didn't spot that tiddly link :)

the green line you refer to I think indicates a bit of the route which is traffic free/off road, on an old railway track or the like.

Others will be along soon with more info.

No, green means unpaved, whether motor-free or not. See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=128273&start=150#p1004386
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel suggestion!

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Hello.

I wondered if it would be easy to add a special via point that additionally indicated a printing split:

ie allowed a route's cue and map printouts to be automatically split into sub-sections (days/morning/afternoons etc) of cycling?

Yes, definitely on the list. I'm just thinking about the best way to do it.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
jon62

Post by jon62 »

Have been using CT for several months now and I am very impressed.

My question is-

would it be possible to add the total height climbed for each journey on the list of routes in
"my journey list"?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Has anyone figured out a way to name a file before download. Had to make a couple of changes with a mobile phone in Belgium this week and finished up with files named cycle.travel, cycle.travel(1), cycle.travel(2), cycle.travel(3). Would help if I could individually name the GPX file. On the PC I just edit it manually, not so easy on the phone.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Richard Fairhurst

iandriver wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to name a file before download. Had to make a couple of changes with a mobile phone in Belgium this week and finished up with files named cycle.travel, cycle.travel(1), cycle.travel(2), cycle.travel(3). Would help if I could individually name the GPX file. On the PC I just edit it manually, not so easy on the phone.

If you've saved the route on cycle.travel, then it'll use (an abbreviated version) of its name for the download. For example, I had a route saved as "Great Rissington"; downloading it, the resulting file is called Great_Rissingto.gpx.

jon62 wrote:Have been using CT for several months now and I am very impressed.

My question is-

would it be possible to add the total height climbed for each journey on the list of routes in
"my journey list"?

Interesting idea! It's not 100% straightforward as we don't always have the total climb - it's only calculated when the elevation display is open. But I could look at displaying it when we do have it...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

iandriver wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to name a file before download. Had to make a couple of changes with a mobile phone in Belgium this week and finished up with files named cycle.travel, cycle.travel(1), cycle.travel(2), cycle.travel(3). Would help if I could individually name the GPX file. On the PC I just edit it manually, not so easy on the phone.

I found if you save the file (as a registered user, save within cycle.travel) you give it a name and on download it seems to maintain that name (sometimes slightly modified for characters that might cause name issues and sometimes truncated. But when I loaded named routes into Garmin Connect web site, Garmin's web site does not seem to get a name and called it "Untitled". So I assume my download and loading are to/through different system as yourself as mine don't get called "cycle.travel".

Ian
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'll try registering. I think I'm looking for something that works like bike hike does. You input the file name before download and it names the file and puts that file name into the files name tag, so it appears on the wahoo as the name you input.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Richard Fairhurst

I'm anxious not to make the GPX download process any more complicated than it already is: users already have to choose from one of five confusing file formats, select whether to announce turns in advance, and then go through the palaver of getting it onto their device. So I'd rather not add another step for people to go through, really, I'm afraid.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It's all fine by me richard.
No great issue to rename the file on my chromebook. Easy to find by sorting downloads by revision date.
Sweep
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I'm anxious not to make the GPX download process any more complicated than it already is: users already have to choose from one of five confusing file formats, select whether to announce turns in advance, and then go through the palaver of getting it onto their device. So I'd rather not add another step for people to go through, really, I'm afraid.

No problem, it's an excellent piece of SW and works very well, I've used it with great success in Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands and France. I can easily work around it. It's only small thing only relevant on a mobile phone.

The Wahoo doesn't seem to use the easily editable and sortable file name, is seems to read the <name> </name> tag in the actual GPX file, which is how the Wahoo displays multiple cycle.travel names in the selectable route list. I easily overcame it by just loading one route at a time when needed from the phone.
Richard Fairhurst

Some new coverage to report! I've just added Australia and New Zealand.

Both of them use real motor traffic data (as cycle.travel does for the UK and a couple of other countries) to stay on less busy roads... so you can plan a route from Woy Woy to Wagga Wagga without jostling with too many trucks.

I've also added traffic data for a number of French départements, which helps with keeping to the quieter D roads and away from the busier ones. Not every département publishes traffic data yet but it's a useful refinement for those that do.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know how long it's been there but I noticed fairly recently that you've added different map renderings (including satellite view for contributors). The extra map detail, especially when planning off road routes, is useful at times. Thanks. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I've just searched back through the topic to try and confirm that I haven't asked this before.
I have a strong track record of not noticing features unless they are pointed out to me, but here goes anyway:

At the moment the planner seems to, quite sensibly, optimise the route so that if there is a Cycle Route going in the right direction it is used, but if there is a short cut (especially between two Cycle Routes) the short cut is selected.

If I want to follow a Cycle Route, and for longer rides (especially in the Netherlands) stick to formal Cycle Routes even if this makes the trip longer, is there any way to do this?

Background;

(1) I planned and navigated route across the Netherlands to Germany in 2019.
My "navigees" were very happy if we were following a signposted Cycle Route, but started to fret if we cut any corners between routes.
A little extra distance but following the signs (as you might do with a map of local routes) might reassure participants.
The non-technical (with regards to electronic devices) usually start from "we'll get a map which shows the cycle routes and just follow the ones which go in the right direction".
This would replicate the above strategy.

(2) There are certain UK cycle routes (such as National Route 1) which have possibly illogical detours (such as down into the centre of Woodbridge) which may be due to the local Councils applying subtle pressure to direct cyclists past the points where they can offer local services, or past local Tourist Attractions.
It would be nice, for instance, to be able to plan a day out following Route 1 exactly however illogical the minor detours seem.
Having followed others on group rides, I understand the minor angst from point (1) when we are supposed to be following Route 1 and then blithely cycle past the signs pointing in a different direction.
Yes, I could follow the signposts but it would be nice to have the route on the Garmin as well to warn me of approaching turns and get me back on track if I miss one.

So as well as a "paths and roads/paved only" could we perhaps have a "Follow National/Local Cycle Routes only" option?

This would also help anyone trying to cycle all of a National/Local cycle route (if that is what floats your boat).