Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by mjr »

Mr.Benton wrote:Hi, I have planned a route from Northern France to Croatia which can be seen here https://cycle.travel/map/journey/91778?lat=46.0117&lon=11.7735&zoom=11

When I zoom in to the 1660 distance marker there is a route named "VIA" on the map. Is there a way of using cycle.travel to find out more about this (or any other) route, or highlighting the route so I can see it in full ?

I don't know how to do it on c.t but you can use osm.org to look it up, or I think https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/ is easier to use for signed cycle routes (and ones soon to be signed): https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=3879583 seems to be the one there, which shows it as the Via Claudia Augusta, www.viaclaudia.org
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

Thanks mjr. I wasn't aware of those sites. I now have some more ideas for cycling tours.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Discovered something new!!
I was able to download a route to Osmand, off line mapping app, and have it available to view!
As a "tech challenged" individual this is great!
We have used RideWithGPS but had to pay to do this.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Anyone had any problems today- the planner seems to be working but I can’t see anything except the route in the maps- just grey.

I’ve been using the accommodation links organise my first few days in the USA and to send some commissions your way Richard.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:Anyone had any problems today- the planner seems to be working but I can’t see anything except the route in the maps- just grey.

I’ve been using the accommodation links organise my first few days in the USA and to send some commissions your way Richard.

I reported it (via e-mail) last night and tried it a few moments ago and it was working again.

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Just the map reloading with the latest OpenStreetMap data - I have to turn the map rendering off while this happens (otherwise it’d generate half-full map tiles from the half-full database!). This runs overnight every month or so, so if you looked at the site last thing yesterday or first thing today you’ll have hit it. Europe/UK is back to normal now and it’s currently crunching through the US while they’re asleep!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Just the map reloading with the latest OpenStreetMap data - I have to turn the map rendering off while this happens (otherwise it’d generate half-full map tiles from the half-full database!). This runs overnight every month or so, so if you looked at the site last thing yesterday or first thing today you’ll have hit it. Europe/UK is back to normal now and it’s currently crunching through the US while they’re asleep!

I spotted it around 22:30 last night (bit before that as that is the send time of the e-mail "reporting" the issue).

Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

No worries- makes total sense. I guessed it could be a mapping data problem/update but I’m a numpty with IT stuff so wondered if i was just doing something stupid.

And of course I’ve been on the USA sections tidying up my transam.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Just a quick note on the current method for downloading cycle.travel routes to the garmin. For numpties like me only- competent people will have it all figured already! I used to be able to do it in a more shortcut way but this seems to be the current method.

1. You should get your phone or iPad and garmin connected via Bluetooth.
2.You have to go into the IQ store in garmin connect (found in “more”) on your phone or other device. There you can download the free widget/mini app called route course for it to push out to the Garmin itself. This bit should ideally be done at home.
3. Then you need to create an account in dynamic watch(route course is one of their apps) and add it as a book marked page as you’ll never be able to remember what it’s called when you’re out and about . Here is the link to their page. https://dynamic.watch/me#_=_

All these bits only need to be done once.

Then every time you want to create a course (I did this in the ferry this morning using the iPhone- dead easy).
1. Create the course in cycle.travel and save it. Click on the export tray thing to get a GPx course and choose the type of file you want (I’ve being choosing the type listed as for newer Garmin’s and that works fine). Then copy the address at the bottom of the page.
2. Log into dynamic watch on your phone or whatever. The main page after login says routes and import so click on that and a box will pop up that you can paste your cycle.travel link into.
3. Now go into your garmin and chose IQ on the home menu (mine is Bottom right) and that should take you into route course and you should see your new route with a cloud next to it. Click the cloud to download it via Bluetooth.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:Just a quick note on the current method for downloading cycle.travel routes to the garmin. For numpties like me only- competent people will have it all figured already! I used to be able to do it in a more shortcut way but this seems to be the current method.

You have to go into the IQ store in garmin connect (found in “more”) on your phone or other device. There you can download the free widget/mini app called route course for it to push out to the Garmin itself. This bit should ideally be done at home. You should also get your iPhone or iPad and garmin connected via Bluetooth.

Then you need to create an account in dynamic watch(route course is one of their apps) and add it as a book marked page as you’ll never be able to remember what it’s called when you’re out and about . Here is the link to their page. https://dynamic.watch/me#_=_

All these bits only need to be done once.

Then every time you want to create a course (I did this in the ferry this morning using the iPhone- dead easy).
1. Create the course in cycle.travel and save it. Click on the export tray thing to get a GPx course and choose the type of file you want (I’ve being choosing the type listed as for newer Garmin’s and that works fine). Then copy the address at the bottom of the page.
2. Log into dynamic watch on your phone or whatever. The main page after login says routes and import so click on that and a box will pop up that you can paste your cycle.travel link into.
3. Now go into your garmin and chose IQ on the home menu (mine is Bottom right) and that should take you into route course and you should see your new route with a cloud next to it. Click the cloud to download it via Bluetooth.

I do:
1. Create course in cycle.travel and download (tcx course) using browser to whatever device you are using.
2. In web browser, go to Garmin Connect site, log-in and on sidebar under Training, Courses", just below the "Create Course" button is an "Import" - click it and import the course you have created (it will show whatever local file selector your device uses).
3. In Garmin Connect, press the "Send to Device" button (the course will also be in your phone Garmin Connect app and can "Send to Device" in that app)
4. Sync the GPS and the course will appear on the GPS.

Garmin could make life far easier for iPhone users if th allowed their app to handle tcx files. People have been complaining on all sorts of fora about this for ages but Garmin seem rather unresponsive when it comes to bugs or serious missing functionality.

Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Ah- I think this may be the gap for me ie how I used to do it on the laptop- but if I’m on my iPad or iPhone (as I am when on tour) I don’t think that you get the import button in the app like you do on the web browser.

Agreed that garmin are a pile of poo- don’t get me started in battery life! I’m now in the unexpected situation that my new iPhone (x - it’s temporary until I start my new job then gets sold to teen daughter) has better battery life than the garmin,
Last edited by MrsHJ on 7 Apr 2019, 6:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:Ah- I think this may be the gap for me ie how I used to do it on the laptop- but if I’m on my iPad or iPhone (as I am when on tour) I don’t think that you get the import button in the app like you do on the web browser.

Browse to Garmin Connect web site https://connect.garmin.com/modern in your browser in your iPhone/iPad. I do it all on an iPad (no laptop involved).

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

My methodology - in short form - I like to do my own tinkering.

1: create route in cycletravel - takes seconds.

2: download file to chromebook in gpx format that just just shows turns - I think this is all you need - I use point to point navigation

3: upload file into gpsies.com for online editing/finessing (I add a few points for clarity - delete others)

4: Download final route from gpsies.

5: Offline using a chromebook doo-dah called caret edit the gpx file and number all the points.

6: Go back online to quickly use a syntax checker to check that the gpx file is all fine.

7: Offline transfer by USB Lead from Chromebook to garmin etrex20.

The Chromebook I use (cost £99) can easily and safely be carried in a pannier.

I realise that this might seem a fag but with this done I have merrily cycled 140 miles in one go without a glitch or need to consult a map.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I download as .gpx or .tcx, plug the Garmin Edge Touring into a USB port on my Mac, and copy it across into the appropriate folder. But I have now bought a (secondhand) Edge 520 to develop a cycle.travel Garmin app on. Just need the hours in the day...!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I download as .gpx or .tcx, plug the Garmin Edge Touring into a USB port on my Mac, and copy it across into the appropriate folder. But I have now bought a (secondhand) Edge 520 to develop a cycle.travel Garmin app on. Just need the hours in the day...!

Re: Transfer cycle.travel->Garmin: Do you have amore efficient way without a Mac (or laptop) e.g. with iPhone or iPad?

I've assumed my above method is not the best, but I do like seeing a track following the roads (i.e. not just turns in gpx) and on tour I don't take my MacBook (just iPhone & iPad).

Re: Garmin App: any hints as to what this would do? Are you looking for beta testers?

Ian