Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks richard
Sweep
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Hi Richard. While you're there...
Apologies if it's covered previously, but in the map overlay menu there is an option for satellite view (subscriber only). I punted a bit of cash via patreon, but the option is still greyed out. Is this a bug or a feature??
I hasten to add, that I'm not expecting a refund, as I find the tool invaluable in many ways.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It should be there! But if you use a different email address for Patreon to the one you've used on cycle.travel it won't know how to match you up. If you let me know the email address you've used on Patreon (you can email me at info@cycle.travel or send me a message here) then I can take a look!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Thanks Richard.
I'll deal with this offline to spare the rest of the forum the minutae!
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Does anyone know if there is an option to maximise climbing on a route, over all other options. Living in a flatish area, would sometimes be good to incorportate as much up and down as possible.

Thanks
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Custom routing isn't possible.

All the routes are pre-calculated, and stashed in a big table. Doing the calculations takes quite a while, and uses quite a lot of storage.
Each different set of routing rules means another big table and another set of calculations.

What you get in return for the lack of flexibility is speed.

Done on the fly, with custom routing rules, a 100 km route may take 20 sec (guess), and another 20 sec each time you try dragging a start/end/intermediate point.
My query was about adding blockage points, but similar questions have been asked several times.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Hi Richard, just popped on to say I love the new (to me as I emerge from hibernation) overnight stay suggestion thingie.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I like the new overnight stop too. I wonder if there is a way to split and identify a route if it travels over the same road more than once.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi Richard, I'm a big fan of cycle.travel and probably use it 3 times a week or more for local routes and also when touring. As a Garmin GPS user (Edge 530) I really appreciate the option to export directly to Garmin Connect. I was wondering though if there is any way that you could go one step further and make a request that Garmin sends the route to the GPS device? Even offering a URL to click on that would take you to the Garmin courses page directly (so you can click on the send to gps button) would be nice. Being lazy I know but there you go!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

gloomyandy wrote:Hi Richard, I'm a big fan of cycle.travel and probably use it 3 times a week or more for local routes and also when touring. As a Garmin GPS user (Edge 530) I really appreciate the option to export directly to Garmin Connect. I was wondering though if there is any way that you could go one step further and make a request that Garmin sends the route to the GPS device? Even offering a URL to click on that would take you to the Garmin courses page directly (so you can click on the send to gps button) would be nice. Being lazy I know but there you go!

The Garmin Connect app on your phone should do that - it does for mine anyway! Assuming they're all successfully paired, then as soon as the app notices that there's a new route on your Garmin Connect account (i.e. the one uploaded by cycle.travel), then it should send it across to your Edge.

Garmin have a troubleshooting page at https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=9 ... onnectivit , though to be honest it doesn't seem to say much more than "have you tried turning it off and on again?".
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi Richard,
that's interesting. I've never seen the app (Android) do that on my phone. I wonder if it is some sort of option? I'll try some experiments!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:The Garmin Connect app on your phone should do that - it does for mine anyway! Assuming they're all successfully paired, then as soon as the app notices that there's a new route on your Garmin Connect account (i.e. the one uploaded by cycle.travel), then it should send it across to your Edge.

Like Andy, I can't see any way to do that automatically either (on Android at least). Sending to Garmin means the route appears under Training >Courses in my Connect Mobile app. I then have to open it & select "Send to device" from the 3 dot menu. The route will then download next time my Edge syncs (usually the next time it is switched on). Not hard but not as automatic as you imply.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I realy like cycle.travel but I have one problem - maybe I'm doing something wrong. I often plan a 'loop' ride, out and back a different way, choosing a few wayponts along the way where the map looks interesting. But after about half-way, if my next chosen point is nearer to the start that the last point, the planner extends the start of my ride (the green marker) to where I click, rather than extending the end. So then I have to 'undo' then choose a point nearer to the last position plotted - in effect partially choosing the route myself rather than letting the algorithms do it.

Sorry if this topic has been covered previously, there's a lot of pages to wade through!
Chris F, Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

ChrisF wrote:But after about half-way, if my next chosen point is nearer to the start that the last point, the planner extends the start of my ride (the green marker) to where I click, rather than extending the end.

Drag the end flag after fixing a waypoint by it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've been planning a route from near Gloucester to Ashbourne in Derbyshire. Cycle.travel plots a route through the middle of Birmingham. Our second city is full of attractions, but I prefer to avoid large built up areas when touring. Normally, it's not a problem; just drag the route away from the city a bit and let it re-plot. But because the West Midlands conurbation is so huge and because the route really is right through the middle, I have to choose: do I go south and east, or west and north? The obvious answer in this case is to seek local advice. But in general it makes me wonder; is there any way of telling cycle.travel to avoid a certain area? Or in general, what's the best way of dealing with situations like this (such as Birmingham, London, Paris... )?