Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Woodtourer wrote:A new feature!!!! Come on how about some hints!!!!

Oh, ok then. :)

You can now export PDF maps of an area - not just of a route. Choose the location and the scale, click "Create map", and it'll ponder for a while and then spit out a lovely PDF.

It's linked from the front page - just click the link by "Get a custom PDF bike map".

I haven't put it behind a login barrier yet, but the maps do take a bit of server power to generate so I might have to if they get too popular! But it might be useful for your maps of Slovakia...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks Richard!!
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Richard,
I was attempting to try the new feature but I must be doing something wrong. How do I select just an area? Can it be a whole country?
Richard Fairhurst

It can't be a whole country (well, Liechtenstein maybe, and you could get most of Luxembourg in there...), partly because pulling that much data down from the server would take ages and no-one else could download maps in the interim, and partly because the scale wouldn't work - the roads would be too small. But you can get a decentish area if you set the scale all the way to "long distance" and use A3 - I can get the northern half of Oxfordshire on one map, for example. Just pan/zoom the map to the place you want, then click once on the map to move the orange box there, and change the scale/paper size accordingly.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: . . . scale all the way to "long distance" and use A3 - I can get the northern half of Oxfordshire on one map, for example. Just pan/zoom the map to the place you want, then click once on the map to move the orange box there, and change the scale/paper size accordingly.

I'm also struggling to find how to use "export PDF maps of an area - not just of a route" . If I click once on a map that has no route, I just get a green pin with a white centre, not an orange box. And I can't find the "Create map" nor "Get a custom PDF bike map".

Where am I going wrong/not understanding? It's not unusual for me, by the way :roll:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Richard Fairhurst

It's linked from the front page - not from the route-planning interface. :D Or just go here: https://cycle.travel/map/area
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:It's linked from the front page - not from the route-planning interface. :D Or just go here: https://cycle.travel/map/area

Duh! Thank you kindly Richard :D :D That's ace!
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Richard,
I had a go at it but...
When I brought up our town in Ohio the map that downloaded was from Kansas.
Richard Fairhurst

Did you move the orange box to your town? (i.e. not just have Ohio showing on the map, you need to click for the orange box)
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

I cannot seem to move the Orange Box. But I am using my tablet so I will try using my laptop.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I download as .gpx or .tcx, plug the Garmin Edge Touring into a USB port on my Mac, and copy it across into the appropriate folder. But I have now bought a (secondhand) Edge 520 to develop a cycle.travel Garmin app on. Just need the hours in the day...!

This seems by far the easiest method when a PC or Mac or Android+OTG cable is available. But unless I.m missing something my (quite elderly) Garmin always lists the track under the name in the gpx file itself, not the file name, Is there a way to change the name from the default "cycle.travel" without editing the file?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

sjs wrote:Is there a way to change the name from the default "cycle.travel" without editing the file?

I'd have thought that editing the file is the easiest way.
Just open the GPX in Notepad or whatever, replace "cycle.travel" with "MyRouteName", and save.

If you are nervous, copy the file beforehand.
RickH

Post by RickH »

sjs wrote:Garmin always lists the track under the name in the gpx file itself, not the file name, Is there a way to change the name from the default "cycle.travel" without editing the file?

If you are signed in & save the route first then it's internal name, that Garmin will show (but may truncate if too long), will be the same as the saved name.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
sjs

Post by sjs »

RickH wrote:
sjs wrote:Garmin always lists the track under the name in the gpx file itself, not the file name, Is there a way to change the name from the default "cycle.travel" without editing the file?

If you are signed in & save the route first then it's internal name, that Garmin will show (but may truncate if too long), will be the same as the saved name.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.
JeanM

Post by JeanM »

I need HELP please ! I'm soon going to the Netherlands and hope to save some offline routes on my Fairphone which is an Android. I want to do this to save battery power. I have found the site Cycle.travel and it looks good. So far I've had a go at saving a route, downloading GPX Viewer on my phone and then looked at the saved route. I can see just a turquoise blue route with the darker blue GPS point that does seem to be moving when I move. Can I see the map behind this blue route? Please can you reply to me in simple language as I get easily confused when dealing with new things on my phone. TIA.