Cycle Travel question!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13760
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby mjr » 3 Jun 2019, 3:02pm

Woodtourer wrote:Are you saying that Osmand has this function? We use Osmand but how do you " turn" this on?

Menu: Directions: Settings (cog icon): Navigation Settings (bottom of list): Turn screen on (bottom of list): pick a time in seconds for how long to turn it on at a turn.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Angstrom
Posts: 23
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 6:57am

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Angstrom » 3 Jun 2019, 4:24pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Couple of updates today:



Could there be a delay for this to appear everywhere yet? I haven't seen it showing in France.
I think it's a good improvement if it makes the difference between quality (not used for tracks but tertiary (or secondary) unpaved roads).

About the mountain pass names, they seem to be oddly choosing to appear or ... not depending on zoom levels; with its own logic, unguessable to me. Labels are always tricky...

Richard Fairhurst
Posts: 1396
Joined: 2 Mar 2008, 4:57pm
Location: Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 3 Jun 2019, 5:09pm

It'll appear when the old tiles "expire". I've manually expired a few areas of Eastern Europe because they have more unpaved roads than we do!

The same applies to the mountain pass names, but I think I might need to adjust the placement there a little, just for those passes (Tourmalet, Peyresourde...) which have a cafe right there. :)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Richard Fairhurst
Posts: 1396
Joined: 2 Mar 2008, 4:57pm
Location: Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 5 Jun 2019, 5:51pm

gloomyandy wrote:Quick heads up. For some reason Google has decided that the .tcx file download from cycle.travel is not a safe file and will not allow the download to a Chromebook (well to my Chromebook at least). I had to disable the website protection feature to allow me to do it. It seems to be only the .tcx files that are being blocked, .gpx works fine. I've no idea why it is happening but you may find that it impacts other users as well. Possibly something to do with this https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/11/chrom ... oads-soon/ Do you use https or http for tcx downloads?


Just to say that I raised this as an issue with Google's Search Console, and they've now come back to me and said "we've reviewed your site and determined that it's ok"! So hopefully these warnings will stop appearing.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Psamathe
Posts: 10402
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Psamathe » 10 Jun 2019, 3:42pm

New question: May not be a cycle.travel issue, maybe a Garmin issue. But, when I create a course on cycle.travel, export it as tcx course and load it to my Garmin 1030 via Garmin Connect website then via Garmin Connect on my iPhone all is good and works well except the "time remaining" seems to be based on some speed I've rarely ever reached as a max. let alone an average. When I load the tcx on to the 1030, before riding it the course summary always says "average speed 15.54 mph". I've searched through Garmin's stuff but can't see anywhere to set an expected average (but I might have missed it). I've set my av speed in my cycle.travel profile to 10 mph.

I'm unsure where Garmin are getting this speed from and I'm now wondering if it might be something in the downloaded tcx?

(Does anybody average 15.54 mph touring for pleasure with 20 Kg camping gear ..... ?)

Thanks (and might be nothing to do with cycle.travel) and it's obviously a minor issue.

Ian

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4499
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby RickH » 11 Jun 2019, 11:07pm

Psamathe wrote:New question: May not be a cycle.travel issue, maybe a Garmin issue. But, when I create a course on cycle.travel, export it as tcx course and load it to my Garmin 1030 via Garmin Connect website then via Garmin Connect on my iPhone all is good and works well except the "time remaining" seems to be based on some speed I've rarely ever reached as a max. let alone an average. When I load the tcx on to the 1030, before riding it the course summary always says "average speed 15.54 mph". I've searched through Garmin's stuff but can't see anywhere to set an expected average (but I might have missed it). I've set my av speed in my cycle.travel profile to 10 mph.

I'm unsure where Garmin are getting this speed from and I'm now wondering if it might be something in the downloaded tcx?

(Does anybody average 15.54 mph touring for pleasure with 20 Kg camping gear ..... ?)

Thanks (and might be nothing to do with cycle.travel) and it's obviously a minor issue.

Ian

In cycle.travel you can set your average speed in your profile.

I think your 15+mph average speed may just be a default that the Edge puts in if you haven't put anything else in (I've seen similar too but just ignored it until recently). But Garmin Connect seems to ignore any speed settings that might be in the file when you import a .TCX saved from cycle.travel, quite probably form any other 3rd party source too! (Incidentally, has anyone else found that file saved as a TCX activity give an error when importing where TCX courses import fine? Maybe you have to import it in the Activities section - there would be some logic to that - but only if you wanted to add an activity that you had failed to record "live". I've not tried it & only thought of it while typing this reply.)

Once you've imported the TCX (or GPX), but before you've saved it, you should have a screen something like this

GC screen.JPG

The thing I had missed is in the info box at lower left (that usually shows a green squiggly elevation line. It has a second page if you click on "Pace Calculator" that lets you put in average speed or a goal time (& it appears to work out one from what you enter in the other box).

GC course details.JPG

If you enter a speed & save the Course then download it to your Edge then the speed you set there is saved in GC when/if you return to it later and will (should) show up "baked in" to the course on the Edge.

francovendee
Posts: 955
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby francovendee » 12 Jun 2019, 8:25am

Woodtourer wrote:Are you saying that Osmand has this function? We use Osmand but how do you " turn" this on?

It does have this feature but, sometimes the route you are following has a turn that isn't seen as a turn by Osmand. This means the screen remains off and you will have to backtrack when you find out.
I used to use this feature but missed important turns once too often. I now use a power bank and keep the screen on all day.

francovendee
Posts: 955
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby francovendee » 12 Jun 2019, 8:41am

Hijacking the thread, but is there a 'legend' for the map on cycletravel, something like that on a paper OS map?

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4499
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby RickH » 12 Jun 2019, 8:45am

francovendee wrote:Hijacking the thread, but is there a 'legend' for the map on cycletravel, something like that on a paper OS map?

Yes - in the top right corner of the map click on the (not very obvious) link named "Key".

francovendee
Posts: 955
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby francovendee » 12 Jun 2019, 10:15am

RickH wrote:
francovendee wrote:Hijacking the thread, but is there a 'legend' for the map on cycletravel, something like that on a paper OS map?

Yes - in the top right corner of the map click on the (not very obvious) link named "Key".


Thanks, I'd never have found it.

SA_SA_SA
Posts: 1735
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 1:46pm

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby SA_SA_SA » 12 Jun 2019, 11:14am

In the Cue sheets in would be useful to know the A/B Number of the Major road one is crossing: this info is already in the on screen panel directions. If it is a question of space, then replace Major with the Axxx/Bxxxx Number and underline or similar to indicate its a major road crossing?



Thanks for all the maps.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

Psamathe
Posts: 10402
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Psamathe » 13 Jun 2019, 3:45pm

RickH wrote:
Psamathe wrote:New question: May not be a cycle.travel issue, maybe a Garmin issue. But, when I create a course on cycle.travel, export it as tcx course and load it to my Garmin 1030 via Garmin Connect website then via Garmin Connect on my iPhone all is good and works well except the "time remaining" seems to be based on some speed I've rarely ever reached as a max. let alone an average. When I load the tcx on to the 1030, before riding it the course summary always says "average speed 15.54 mph". I've searched through Garmin's stuff but can't see anywhere to set an expected average (but I might have missed it). I've set my av speed in my cycle.travel profile to 10 mph.

I'm unsure where Garmin are getting this speed from and I'm now wondering if it might be something in the downloaded tcx?

(Does anybody average 15.54 mph touring for pleasure with 20 Kg camping gear ..... ?)

Thanks (and might be nothing to do with cycle.travel) and it's obviously a minor issue.

Ian

In cycle.travel you can set your average speed in your profile.

I think your 15+mph average speed may just be a default that the Edge puts in if you haven't put anything else in (I've seen similar too but just ignored it until recently). But Garmin Connect seems to ignore any speed settings that might be in the file when you import a .TCX saved from cycle.travel, quite probably form any other 3rd party source too! (Incidentally, has anyone else found that file saved as a TCX activity give an error when importing where TCX courses import fine? Maybe you have to import it in the Activities section - there would be some logic to that - but only if you wanted to add an activity that you had failed to record "live". I've not tried it & only thought of it while typing this reply.)

Once you've imported the TCX (or GPX), but before you've saved it, you should have a screen something like this

GC screen.JPG
The thing I had missed is in the info box at lower left (that usually shows a green squiggly elevation line. It has a second page if you click on "Pace Calculator" that lets you put in average speed or a goal time (& it appears to work out one from what you enter in the other box).

GC course details.JPG
If you enter a speed & save the Course then download it to your Edge then the speed you set there is saved in GC when/if you return to it later and will (should) show up "baked in" to the course on the Edge.

Many thanks but limited success. I'd already tried the cycle.travel profile speed but I'd not noticed the pace in the Garmin Connect web site import. I set the av speed for the course there and when the course loaded onto my GPS the summary had the correct speed I'd entered in the "pace". But during the ride the GPS still seemed to be using something around 15 mph. I'd entered 10 mph as an average to GC but with 14 miles to go the GPS was saying less than an hour for time to go and in the ETA.

It's not a crucial feature as 10 mph is fine and is easy mental arithmetic and my ETA is not crucial anyway.

Ian

Richard Fairhurst
Posts: 1396
Joined: 2 Mar 2008, 4:57pm
Location: Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 13 Jun 2019, 4:16pm

It's hardcoded, I think to 15mph though not sure. I didn't know anyone actually used those times for anything, I just put something approximate in because the TCX format squawks if you don't include it! I'll look and see if it's possible to use your preferred speed.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5655
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Sweep » 14 Jun 2019, 7:13am

I always reckon on 10mph for these sorts of ride, then add a fair bit on for all those mysterious stops.
Sweep

Psamathe
Posts: 10402
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jun 2019, 3:09pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:It's hardcoded, I think to 15mph though not sure. I didn't know anyone actually used those times for anything, I just put something approximate in because the TCX format squawks if you don't include it! I'll look and see if it's possible to use your preferred speed.

I suspect it may be beyond your control as I did as suggested above setting the "pace" in Garmin Connect (web site) and the downloaded course before riding had my entered value of 10 mph but that was ignored when the Garmin device did its ETA and Time to Go calculations.

But there are some really weird things on the device when it comes to future course estimates. Today my course was pretty flat; cycle.travel said ascent 300m (a bit OTT), Garmin Connect web site said 269m but when loaded onto the Garmin and starting to ride the course the device said "Ascent Remaining 587m" (or something very similar) - actual recorded ascent on the Garmin (which I feel over-records) was 162m.

But this has nothing to do with cycle.travel (I'm taking the thread a bit off-topic). If there is any magic value you (cycle.travel) can set in the tcx then great but don't spend too long on it on my account as it's not a major issue for me.

Thanks
Ian