Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RickH

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Postby RickH » 9 Sep 2020, 10:26am

gloomyandy wrote:Quick question (possibly not a quick answer though!)...

What is the best way to get a file from Cycle Travel on to a modern Garmin (in my case an Edge 530)? I currently create the route, download a tcx then upload it to Garmin Connect and then send the course via Garmin Connect app on my phone to my edge. It works but can be a little time consuming and requires the various websites and connections to work. I'd love it if ther was some way to send the course directly to my edge (either by the phone or by the edge's built in WiFi), is there anyway to do this? I'd rather avoid any solution that requires cables or PC/Mac based apps (as I use a Chromebook most of the time).

Not wireless but if you connect the Garmin with a USB cable (an android phone works with an On The Go adapter a chromebook will probably just need the cable) you can save the route TCX & then copy the file (or multiple files) directly into the "Garmin/New Files" folder on your Garmin. (Older units you would have to copy the TCX directly to the Courses folder instead.)

The unit will then convert each TCX to a FIT file in the correct folder when it is started up in normal mode (almost certainly as soon as you disconnect the USB). It /they will then be ready to use.

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 9 Sep 2020, 10:50am

RickH wrote:Not wireless but if you connect the Garmin with a USB cable (an android phone works with an On The Go adapter a chromebook will probably just need the cable) you can save the route TCX & then copy the file (or multiple files) directly into the "Garmin/New Files" folder on your Garmin. (Older units you would have to copy the TCX directly to the Courses folder instead.)

The unit will then convert each TCX to a FIT file in the correct folder when it is started up in normal mode (almost certainly as soon as you disconnect the USB). It /they will then be ready to use.

Hi Rich, yeah I used to do things that way with an earlier Garmin device (and at a push I've done it that way with my new device, for instance when the Garmin site was down), but I'd prefer not to go that route if possible. One reason is that as I mentioned I tend to use a chromebook for my route planning and for some reason Garmins (at least my old one) and Chromebooks (well mine anyway) don't always seem to get on very well. Connecting my old Garmin by USB was very hit and miss, sometimes it would work fine and would appear as a USB file device, other times it would take a long time before it finally appeared and in some cases it would just go into charging mode. I tried various cables and other solutions, but it always seemed to do the same thing. So the ideal solution for me would be some sort of direct connection via WiFi (which is probably unlikely to happen), or to have the file go direct to my phones Garmin Connect app and then to the device. A more direct way from Cycle Travel to the web version of Garmin Connect would at least be a step along the way (as I can easily get the route from there to the edge).

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 9 Sep 2020, 11:26am

Watch this space. :)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 9 Sep 2020, 12:03pm

What is the best way to get a file from Cycle Travel on to a modern Garmin (in my case an Edge 530)? I currently create the route, download a tcx then upload it to Garmin Connect and then send the course via Garmin Connect app on my phone to my edge. It works but can be a little time consuming and requires the various websites and connections to work. I'd love it if ther was some way to send the course directly to my edge (either by the phone or by the edge's built in WiFi), is there anyway to do this? I'd rather avoid any solution that requires cables or PC/Mac based apps (as I use a Chromebook most of the time).

What's the problem with just plugging it in (sounds easier than your current multistep system) - I assume your garmin has a cable input as you say you would "rather not" do this.
I use a chromebook and it's no great problem to plug my garmin etrexs into its USB ports - the lead is short and compact.
Sweep

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 9 Sep 2020, 12:31pm

Jdsk wrote:Thanks, Richard... same restrictions on the string for both GPX and TCX?

Jonathan

PS: I don't know anything about this device or the route name constraint... I just Googled richardfm's symptoms.

And you were far too polite to suggest I Google it. :D Thank you.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 9 Sep 2020, 12:38pm

: - )

And thanks, Richard Fairhurst: that's now in my debugging list.

Jonathan

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 9 Sep 2020, 12:43pm

gloomyandy wrote:Connecting my old Garmin by USB was very hit and miss, sometimes it would work fine and would appear as a USB file device, other times it would take a long time before it finally appeared and in some cases it would just go into charging mode. I tried various cables and other solutions, but it always seemed to do the same thing.

You're not alone. Lots of reports of similar, and the Garmin support never goes beyond the obvious.

I once spent some time and convinced myself that USB cables did differ in their ability to support Garmin data connections. And charging worked when data connections didn't. And the cables that didn't support data connection worked fine for other purposes. That was on an Edge 1000 and a variety of Macs.

I have a carefully labelled cable that works first time most of the time... and it was supplied by Garmin.

Jonathan

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 9 Sep 2020, 12:46pm

gloomyandy wrote:So the ideal solution for me would be some sort of direct connection via WiFi (which is probably unlikely to happen), or to have the file go direct to my phones Garmin Connect app and then to the device.

You're probably ahead of me on this, but do you know both ways of getting routes onto the device: through Garmin Connect and as files with the Garmin mounted as a mass storage device?

Jonathan

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 9 Sep 2020, 10:47pm

Sweep wrote:What's the problem with just plugging it in (sounds easier than your current multistep system) - I assume your garmin has a cable input as you say you would "rather not" do this.
I use a chromebook and it's no great problem to plug my garmin etrexs into its USB ports - the lead is short and compact.

See my comments above, about 50% of the time my Chromebook doesn't see the Edge as a storage device, it just charges it, when it does see it, it often takes ages to power up and then get to the stage of being able to copy the file to the device. Honestly it is usually quicker to go the Garmin connect/phone/Edge route and way less frustrating. But in an ideal world I would just hot a button in Cycle travel and it would transfer the file via my phone to the edge. Judging by the comment above it seems the Richard may have something cooking in this area!

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 11 Sep 2020, 3:17pm

I have a similar issue using an Android Phone and Navman Bike 1000. Using an OTG cable, the GPS is not mounted by the phone. If I use a Raspberry Pi ZeroW I can mount the device and connect to it via network storage. A faff, but useable. (I carry the Pi Zero as a camera backup device anyway)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

ChrisF

Postby ChrisF » 12 Sep 2020, 8:38pm

An odd thing happened today during my ride planned with cycle.travel. I've had a Wahoo Elemnt Roam for a couple of weeks and so far it's worked well. Today (only for the second time) I used the Wahoo to guide me on my route downloaded, via a TCX, from cycle.travel. The first time I tried this it worked fine. But today, the turn-by-turn prompts were all over the place. At the beginning of the ride the prompt came about 100 metres too early. I put it down to a GPS glitch. But it got worse; soon the prompts (cues?) were 500m too early. I could see then that it wasn't a GPX error because the map on the Wahoo screen showed exactly where I was, and I could guide myself using the map; it was just the prompts that were out.

By the end of the ride (about 75km, round-trip) the prompt was giving me directions 6km ahead of schedule!
I assumed the problem was with the Wahoo, which would have been annoying to say the least. But after the ride I loaded the TCX file into 'Wordpad' and checked some of the course points. Loading the lats and longs into Google Maps for a defined prompt (e.g. 'Continue on B4576') showed that its position was indeed several km from where it should be. So the exported TCX was incorrect.

If I look at the route on the cycle.travel site (https://cycle.travel/map/journey/181828), clicking the prompt list gives the correct position so it's just the export that has gone wrong. I had used the 'reverse route' function before saving and exporting; don't know if that has a bearing.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
Chris F, Cornwall

bohrsatom

Postby bohrsatom » 12 Sep 2020, 10:18pm

What is the best way to get a file from Cycle Travel on to a modern Garmin (in my case an Edge 530)?

Sign up for Dynamic Watch (https://dynamic.watch), and add their ConnectIQ app to your device. Next, copy the route URL from cycle.travel then import the route into Dynamic Watch using the URL. You can then find the route by opening the ConnectIQ app on your Garmin and start navigating.

Dynamic Watch is free but you can subscribe for 10ish dollars a year if you wish.

Hopefully that all makes sense but happy to provide more details if it would be helpful.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 13 Sep 2020, 8:17pm

ChrisF wrote:By the end of the ride (about 75km, round-trip) the prompt was giving me directions 6km ahead of schedule!
I assumed the problem was with the Wahoo, which would have been annoying to say the least. But after the ride I loaded the TCX file into 'Wordpad' and checked some of the course points. Loading the lats and longs into Google Maps for a defined prompt (e.g. 'Continue on B4576') showed that its position was indeed several km from where it should be. So the exported TCX was incorrect.

That seems odd! I've just downloaded a TCX for that route and loaded it into gpsvisualizer.com, which is my usual way of debugging TCXs, and the turn icons seem to be appearing in the right places - are they not in yours?

ChrisF

Postby ChrisF » 14 Sep 2020, 8:16pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
ChrisF wrote:By the end of the ride (about 75km, round-trip) the prompt was giving me directions 6km ahead of schedule!

That seems odd! I've just downloaded a TCX for that route and loaded it into gpsvisualizer.com, which is my usual way of debugging TCXs, and the turn icons seem to be appearing in the right places - are they not in yours?

Thanks Richard. I haven't seen gpsvisualizer.com before, and I'm not getting on with it very well!. Most of my downloaded TCX files don't show a route at all (although they load the correct area of map); the ones that do show a route mostly don't show any cues/icons. There's only one file I can find which shows turn icons.
I'll investigate further and maybe PM you since this seems to be getting a bit technical.
Chris F, Cornwall

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 21 Sep 2020, 10:30pm

As alluded above...

You can now send routes direct from cycle.travel to Garmin Connect! (And from there you can use a phone to sync to a Garmin GPS.)

Assuming you have a Garmin Connect account, it's pretty easy. Plan your route and save it as usual, click the GPS button and choose "Send to Garmin Connect". A new window will open asking you to log into Garmin Connect and agree that cycle.travel can access your courses... and that's it. From then on you don't need to log into Garmin Connect again - you can just choose "Send to Garmin Connect" and it'll happen.

Plus one more fun new feature today: col/pass names on the elevation graph!

elevation.png