Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 25 Sep 2020, 3:41pm

The road through Abney is marked as closed to all traffic in OpenStreetMap (which cycle.travel uses as its data source), with the note "damaged by landslip, expect fully closed until est. May 2021". If it's open to cyclists then I - or indeed anyone! - can make that change on OSM.

Curiously Derbyshire County Council seem to have issued two road closure notices, one saying "all traffic", the other saying "Acces [sic] is allowed to Pedestrians, Equestrians and Cyclists only but not to motorised traffic"!

https://one.network/downloads/tm/road-c ... 194144.pdf

https://one.network/downloads/tm/road-c ... 209961.pdf
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

aflook

Postby aflook » 25 Sep 2020, 4:15pm

You say "anyone" but that doesn't allow for my level of incompetence!

Thanks again for all your work.
Adrian

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 25 Sep 2020, 5:14pm

I've done a bunch of work today on the mobile map (appears automatically on Android or iPhone, but you can also get it at https://cycle.travel/map/mobile), to make it more consistent and easier to use. The most obvious change is that anything that appeared on the old "Share" tab at the bottom is now on a drop-down menu from the top right - standard hamburger menu icon!

RickH

Postby RickH » 26 Sep 2020, 11:09am

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I've done a bunch of work today on the mobile map (appears automatically on Android or iPhone, but you can also get it at https://cycle.travel/map/mobile), to make it more consistent and easier to use. The most obvious change is that anything that appeared on the old "Share" tab at the bottom is now on a drop-down menu from the top right - standard hamburger menu icon!

2 features are now completely inaccessible in the mobile version as the sidebar no longer appears* (unless I force desktop mode which loses anything not saved). Namely Undo & the "Click map to add more points" tick box.

Both of them I use regularly. Sometimes to stop the addition of random bits of extra route when my finger action, while trying to scroll, is misinterpreted as a tap (presumably at phone/dirty screen/user level :roll: rather than anything in CT). Sometimes undo is just useful to be able to step back through edits when i change my mind about modifications I have made in the order I added them.

(*That format has popped up occasionally while I've been switching tabs writing this but I've not spotted a consistent reason why. It used to always appear when I loaded a journey).

rfryer

Postby rfryer » 26 Sep 2020, 1:56pm

RickH wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:I've done a bunch of work today on the mobile map (appears automatically on Android or iPhone, but you can also get it at https://cycle.travel/map/mobile), to make it more consistent and easier to use. The most obvious change is that anything that appeared on the old "Share" tab at the bottom is now on a drop-down menu from the top right - standard hamburger menu icon!

2 features are now completely inaccessible in the mobile version as the sidebar no longer appears* (unless I force desktop mode which loses anything not saved). Namely Undo & the "Click map to add more points" tick box.

Both of them I use regularly. Sometimes to stop the addition of random bits of extra route when my finger action, while trying to scroll, is misinterpreted as a tap (presumably at phone/dirty screen/user level :roll: rather than anything in CT). Sometimes undo is just useful to be able to step back through edits when i change my mind about modifications I have made in the order I added them.

(*That format has popped up occasionally while I've been switching tabs writing this but I've not spotted a consistent reason why. It used to always appear when I loaded a journey).

I'm using android, and not seeing the same issues. The process seems to be: tap to set the start point, tap to set the end point, then drag the route to set via points. Although there's no undo, you can easily delete a via point that you have come to regret.

I think this makes for a very straightforward mobile experience, especially when combined with the ability to squirt the route straight to my Garmin. Tapping off the route is always interpreted as a drag, rather than an attempt to insert a point.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 26 Sep 2020, 4:03pm

Yep. It doesn't add points on mobile by default (apart from the first two) precisely because of the ease of misclicking, but as well as dragging, you can double-tap on mobile and that'll add a new point.

I'll think about where best to put undo.

RickH

Postby RickH » 26 Sep 2020, 4:27pm

More often than not I'm using my phone for stuff as it is always there & the computer may be in use. I'm more often than not creating a "circular" route so the end is the same point as the start. I find it easiest to be able to add points along the rough route I want (so "add points" needs to be on). Sometimes I'll tweak it with extra points as I go along, other times I'll get the "bones" of the route and then tweak it (that's when I want to turn "add points" off so my finish, which is also the start, stays put).

Undo is maybe less important but I do find it useful.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 26 Sep 2020, 4:38pm

Sure - does double-tapping to add points not do what you want?

RickH

Postby RickH » 26 Sep 2020, 5:17pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Sure - does double-tapping to add points not do what you want?

Not sure if question was for me. For reference, I'm using a Sony Xperia XZ1 running Android 9 (Pie) Firefox is v81.1.1, Chrome is v85.1.4183.127. Click to add points is set to "on" in my profile.

On a pre-existing section of route - in Firefox the map zooms in & I get the normal "add via point", etc popup. In Chrome I just get the popup. (A single tap in both gives just the popup. For completeness - a long press does nothing in either case unless it is on an already created via point, in which case I get the extended popup. )

Beyond the end of the route - Firefox just zooms in with a double tap, Chrome does nothing. End point of route stays the same as it was in both instances. A single tap adds to the route.

Is that expected behaviour? Although I do seem to have broken (temporarily?) the add to route by changing settings with CT open in 2 different browsers simultaneously.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 26 Sep 2020, 6:23pm

No, that's not expected. I've just tweaked something slightly in the hope it might work, but I think I'm going to need to buy an Android phone to debug this one, sadly.

RickH

Postby RickH » 26 Sep 2020, 7:02pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:No, that's not expected. I've just tweaked something slightly in the hope it might work, but I think I'm going to need to buy an Android phone to debug this one, sadly.

Nope. Adding to the route now seems completely broken! :? Unless I switch the browser to desktop mode, then it work (both Chrome & Firefox). Tried "force stop" of the browser apps, clear cache & phone restart to no avail.

rfryer

Postby rfryer » 26 Sep 2020, 7:42pm

RickH wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:No, that's not expected. I've just tweaked something slightly in the hope it might work, but I think I'm going to need to buy an Android phone to debug this one, sadly.

Nope. Adding to the route now seems completely broken! :? Unless I switch the browser to desktop mode, then it work (both Chrome & Firefox). Tried "force stop" of the browser apps, clear cache & phone restart to no avail.

Testing on Samsung Note 9 and chrome, I'm finding the double-click function very hard to activate; maybe one attempt in 10 gives me a new endpoint. And that's using a stylus, which allows very accurate deuble-tapping. Not that I'm bothered; I can achieve the same thing reliably simply by dragging the end point, then dragging the course over to the old end point if necessary.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 29 Sep 2020, 12:13pm

Vantage wrote:There's a bit of weirdness going on with my etrex 30x and cycle.travel that I hope someone else has had and fixed.
I'll give a detailed list of what I do so my issue is clear below.

Plot cycle.travel route on pc/chromebook.
Download to pc/chromebook as a gpx route.
Upload gpx route to the gpx file directory in the etrex.
Turn on the etrex and choose the "cycle.travel" route from the 'track manager' .
Click on it and then click 'View Map' which sometimes causes it to freeze.
When the freeze ends, I'll get a 'Loading track with elevation data from the map' message. This message sits on the screen a very long time, I times it the other day and it lasted 4.30 mins!
After that it'll play nice and I can get on with riding my route.

It only does this with a cycle.travel file as I've tried others like GPSies, bike hike etc.
If I load the cycle.travel gpx file into a gpsies/bike hike site, save it and then download, it works OK.

Any help here would be very much appreciated.

I understand you fixed this by ensuring that the file downloaded to the etrex actually has the elevation in it so that the garmin doesn't try to insert the info itself - very frustrating as you found - it can take ages even on a shortish route* and you end up worrying about a freeze or crash.

Also annoying as I like to edit/prune my gpx files on a text editor and have always taken the elevation lines (one for each point) out as I see it as clutter.

Does anyone know if it is possible to stop the etrex doing this? I care not about having elevation data on the routes* I put on the garmin.

* By the bye vantage, I think you were actually dealing with a track rather than a route as you supposed.

I usually use routes and DO hack all the elevation data out and have never had the garmin try to put the data in.

But I do when I now and again use a track.

I used "route" with the * above in the general sense - - journey.
Sweep

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 1 Oct 2020, 3:36pm

So I bought an Android phone!

Short version: you can now add more points on Android by "long-clicking" the map (i.e. hold your finger for a while). It's a bit annoying that this is inconsistent with iPhone (where you double-tap) but there are boring technical reasons for that.

Long version: cycle.travel uses a wonderful piece of software called Leaflet to actually display the map on-screen, as do thousands of other websites. It turns out that Leaflet's double-tap handling on Android has been broken for years. There is a new version of Leaflet which might fix it, but said version also breaks lots of things in Safari, both on desktop and on mobile. (That's why a bunch of functionality on openstreetmap.org doesn't work on Safari right now.) When there's a Leaflet version that works fine on both I'll move to that, and that'll enable double-tapping to work on Android.

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Oct 2020, 4:49pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:So I bought an Android phone!

Short version: you can now add more points on Android by "long-clicking" the map (i.e. hold your finger for a while). It's a bit annoying that this is inconsistent with iPhone (where you double-tap) but there are boring technical reasons for that.

Long version: cycle.travel uses a wonderful piece of software called Leaflet to actually display the map on-screen, as do thousands of other websites. It turns out that Leaflet's double-tap handling on Android has been broken for years. There is a new version of Leaflet which might fix it, but said version also breaks lots of things in Safari, both on desktop and on mobile. (That's why a bunch of functionality on openstreetmap.org doesn't work on Safari right now.) When there's a Leaflet version that works fine on both I'll move to that, and that'll enable double-tapping to work on Android.

Thank you. The long press is indeed working. :D

BTW I still miss the pop up side panel that meant a consistent interface with the desktop version and (I think) the full range of options, with only a single extra press in the mobile version each time you want to open/close it. It's not a huge deal & I may be in a minority but it was my preference (even if I had to open a random journey, rather than using the "map" option, to make it appear). I would use the popup panel interface 100% of the time on my phone if I had the option. :D