Cycling out of Edinburgh Airport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Cycling out of Edinburgh Airport

Postby mnichols » 27 Feb 2019, 7:07pm

I'm planning a ride from Edinburgh to London, does anyone know if I can unpack a cardboard bike box at the airport, dispose of it there and cycle out the door?

I don't want to use a plastic bag, as I have a tight schedule and if there is any damage to the bike the I can't make up the time

jamesgilbert

Re: Cycling out of Edinburgh Airport

Postby jamesgilbert » 27 Feb 2019, 7:50pm

I don't really understand the question, are you worried about disposing of the bike box or cycling away from the airport? I remember it being a very easy airport to cycle from, although I did go down the pavement beside the A8 (heading for Oban).

I often see people saying that a bike is less likely to get damaged in a bag than in a box, there's a very long thread about it on here somewhere...

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 27 Feb 2019, 7:57pm

I've done it twice.
No problems leaving empty box at airport.
Ride to Waverly Station in 40 mins.
Duel carriage way but Ok.
Pm me for details
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 27 Feb 2019, 10:16pm

jamesgilbert wrote:I don't really understand the question, are you worried about disposing of the bike box or cycling away from the airport? I remember it being a very easy airport to cycle from, although I did go down the pavement beside the A8 (heading for Oban).

I often see people saying that a bike is less likely to get damaged in a bag than in a box, there's a very long thread about it on here somewhere...

The question was about leaving a bike box at the airport. I've done it abroad, but not in the UK

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 27 Feb 2019, 10:18pm

matt2matt2002 wrote:I've done it twice.
Pm me for details

Thanks. Did you have to take it apart and find a bin, or did you just unpack at baggage reclaim and leave it there?

Did you ask permission?

keithg

Postby keithg » 28 Feb 2019, 10:46am

I think he means abandoning an empty (disposable) cardboard bike box from a bike shop, pick up another one on departure, they are usually easy enough to get from a bike shop.
There are several bag drop facilities in Edinburgh (cheapish) and one at the airport, I think, which is expensive. https://www.edinburghairport.com/prepar ... ft-luggage
This would be a possible option for a short trip and your own bike box/bag.
Riding out of the airport should be easy enough, its some way out of town and getting to the old Forth bridge (the bike crossing if headed north) should be easy.

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 28 Feb 2019, 8:01pm

keithg wrote:I think he means abandoning an empty (disposable) cardboard bike box from a bike shop, pick up another one on departure, they are usually easy enough to get from a bike shop.
There are several bag drop facilities in Edinburgh (cheapish) and one at the airport, I think, which is expensive. https://www.edinburghairport.com/prepar ... ft-luggage
Riding out of the airport should be easy enough, its some way out of town and getting to the old Forth bridge (the bike crossing if headed north) should be easy.

No,I just want to dispose of the cardboard bike box. I'll then cycle to London and get a train home

Navrig

Postby Navrig » 28 Feb 2019, 9:07pm

mnichols wrote:
keithg wrote:I think he means abandoning an empty (disposable) cardboard bike box from a bike shop, pick up another one on departure, they are usually easy enough to get from a bike shop.

No,I just want to dispose of the cardboard bike box. I'll then cycle to London and get a train home
Are there big bins suitable for large cardboard boxes?

No.

Is there someone who you could ask permission to abandon it?

Yes but best you email the airport than ask here.

Could you quickly strip the box and build the bike and cycle away quickly?

Yes but.....

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 1 Mar 2019, 8:35am

mnichols wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:I've done it twice.
Pm me for details

Thanks. Did you have to take it apart and find a bin, or did you just unpack at baggage reclaim and leave it there?

Did you ask permission?

Good question.
As I unboxed and assembled the bike a cleaner walked past.
He gave me a thumbs up sign and I asked about leaving the box.
He said no problems.

Once assembled, I made sure all the packaging, bubble wrap was inside the box and left it next to the wall by the gents loo.

No one stopped me or remarked about the box. I didn't feel guilty about leaving it there.
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.