Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Post by Sweep »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Sweep wrote:May be useful for the nervous.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2019 ... 1551852287

And driving ones can be ignored.

No wonder you wrote the last sentence.

For anyone going or planning to go with a vehicle (plus bikes!) it makes sad reading.
Extra cost. Extra paperwork.
Uncertainty about lots of things even at this late stage.
All for what??

And before you start on about "not relavent" the OP title says just "touring".

I assumed (this forum being what it is) that we were talking cycle touring.

So gave that link for info purposes.

You clearly want to have an argument about broader issues - there is I believe a bit of the forum for that.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Picked up my IDP to drive in France for my family holiday in April. Reasonably painless experience and a small cost, just pop into the main branch post office and hand over money and a photo. Thing to be aware of though if you are going to get one, IDPs only cover specific countries. If you are going through multiple countries you may need multiple IDPs. I’ve also been told there is a quota so you may not be able to get one. This could be heresay though...
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Sweep wrote:I assumed (this forum being what it is) that we were talking cycle touring.

You clearly want to have an argument about broader issues - there is I believe a bit of the forum for that.

I am talking about cycle touring but still crossing the channel with a vehicle.

The link makes sad and expensive reading for regular travellers to the EU and beyond.
It just putting a point of view.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

'The UK was never a member of the Schengen agreement,

the only thing that will change is a passport instead of just a photo ID. That, and a 90 day limit for visits...'

The first part is correct the second bit is not if we leave without a deal because;

Taking your car abroad

In a sentence You’ll have to request a green card from your insurer if driving to Europe after 29 March if the UK leaves without a deal, all drivers will be expected to carry a green card when in mainland Europe and Ireland. They are likely to be issued by an insurance company for free, but the industry is warning it could take up to a month to obtain one.

Driving with a UK licence when abroad You will have to buy an International Driving Permit to drive in Europe, at a price of £5.50, with different ones required for France and Spain again If there is no deal with the EU then recognition of UK driving licences in the EU ends. So British drivers will have to go to the Post Office and obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP), which you will need to carry with you in conjunction with your UK driving licence.

European Health Insurance Card The UK government issued its latest advice on healthcare when travelling abroad, warning that if the UK leaves with no deal, our Ehics will no longer be valid. It has advised anyone travelling on or after 29 March to any of the EU countries as well as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, to buy travel insurance to cover healthcare “just as you would if visiting a non-EU country”.

Visas and travel
Visa-free travel to Europe ends, paving the way for possible £52 90-day visas

small amend...

In essence once the UK leaves the EU, British citizens will become “third country nationals” with no automatic right of admission. While the Brexit negotiations continue, a European initiative is being developed to strengthen the EU’s external borders: the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS).

The European Union is setting up an ETIAS Central Unit. Every prospective visitor to the EU will register their details online and pay a €7 (£6) fee, though under-12s can be registered free. The information will be compared against EU and relevant Interpol databases, and a decision made on whether or not to grant an ETIAS.

So if your on a ferry with you bike going to the EU after Brexit no deal the airline, ferry firm, train operator or coach company you are travelling with will be required to verify “that travellers are in possession of a valid travel authorisation”. So you should not be able to get as far as a European border post without a valid ETIAS.

If you are mistakenly allowed on board without an ETIAS, the proposals warn you will be unceremoniously thrown out. ie sent back to UK

last point if there is a devaluation of the £ as a result of a no -deal then you will need to take more £ as travelling abroard will be more expensive

last amend; The EU is a unique legal system in the world under it individuals themselves – not just member states – have their own rights, directly protected under EU law. One of these rights is EU citizenship, which all UK nationals possess at present as a matter of course, in addition to their own nationality.

With EU citizenship we enjoy free movement to live, work and retire in more than 30 other countries. We have political rights, and the protection of the rule of law in other EU countries. Since EU citizenship comes with birth, even young people in the UK who cannot yet vote are in reality already citizens of Europe.

But the withdrawal agreement as negotiated by the UK government with the EU simply takes all these rights away
Last edited by stu1102 on 6 Mar 2019, 5:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:For anyone going or planning to go with a vehicle (plus bikes!) it makes sad reading.
Extra cost. Extra paperwork.
Uncertainty about lots of things even at this late stage.
All for what??

And before you start on about "not relavent" the OP title says just "touring".

I assumed (this forum being what it is) that we were talking cycle touring.

No, I'd like to know too: are there any advantages for cycle touring at all?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Slowroad

Re: Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t - and National Rail!!

Post by Slowroad »

Cheers all for your comments, maybe time to draw it to a close. As has been pointed out a few times there is already a long thread covering the wider Brexit issues. I didn't post on there as I thought my comment would get 'lost'.
What I am going to do is book my tickets to London, when the advance tickets come out for Whitsun. I prefer to have off-peak tickets for the continuation to Folkestone/Dover for various reasons, so these can be left for later. If there are delays which I can't be bothered with (I get stressed enough worrying about connections anyway!) I shall leave the Avenue Verte for another year, and head off east into Essex instead, been meaning to do that for a while.
I've got a good plan A and a good plan B, so lets hope I'm worrying unnecessarily!

Except that National Rail are not releasing advance tickets for my route to London at Whitsun! (Nor Easter, incidentally). I've not found out why, but it could be due to engineering works, or to the next timetable change. I can't run to £130+ for return ticket when a week later I could to it for £40-50. So on to plan C... very vague as yet!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mjr

Re: Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t - and National Rail!!

Post by mjr »

Slowroad wrote:Except that National Rail are not releasing advance tickets for my route to London at Whitsun! (Nor Easter, incidentally). I've not found out why, but it could be due to engineering works, or to the next timetable change. I can't run to £130+ for return ticket when a week later I could to it for £40-50. So on to plan C... very vague as yet!

Some companies have released Whitsun Advance tickets. Some haven't. Is your route from Nottingham? EMT haven't because there's engineering and buses http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_d ... 15454.aspx but you might find "via Grantham" tickets on sale.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Some companies have released Whitsun Advance tickets. Some haven't. Is your route from Nottingham? EMT haven't because there's engineering and buses http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_d ... 15454.aspx but you might find "via Grantham" tickets on sale.

Yes - doh - how could I forget! I'm not a big fan of that route but it has its uses... and I have been and got me tickets there & back for less than £40. Big smiles all round :D thanks for the reminder MJR!
I'm even thinking of booking Newhaven-Dieppe - though optimism may be somewhat misplaced with the ever-changing news we keep getting! :shock:
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
hufty

Post by hufty »

Great, as predicted it's another tedious multipage thread where people who enjoy arguing the toss over Brexit post stuff up that other people don't read. Exactly nobody will change their mind.

...something about that bus....

...something about democracy....

...something about panniers....

Oh no that last one would never get a look in on a cycling forum it's too contentious.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Oh, and to get back on-topic: no, i'm not putting off touring decisions. But then, I have dual nationality anyway, so Brexit won't really affect me. :-)
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Brexit discussion has been moved to the appropriate thread. Please reserve this thread specifically for discussion of the impacts on cycle touring.

Thank you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Vorpal wrote:The Brexit discussion has been moved to the appropriate thread. Please reserve this thread specifically for discussion of the impacts on cycle touring.

Thank you.
Not sure they can be separated. The entirety of Brexit will affect touring.

For example:

I work a lot in the EU, I therefore may not have enough time in Schengen available to me to cycle tour there any more.

Germany currently requires a Carnet De Permis for vehicles, there is no UK issuer.

Most of the equipment I use for work will need an ATA Carnet, which means I'll have periods where capital is in bond and may not be able to afford to travel. (I work in Switzerland too, so am well used to Carnets)

Looking at yesterday's announcement re: reciprocal healthcare, I'm sure many will need to look at more comprehensive medical insurance when abroad.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I separated the posts that were purely about Brexit & politics, and left the ones that are about Brexit impact on cycle touring.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Just thought of one more example that may affect my touring. I had intended to do the Rhein Radweg with some German friends next year. We would meet in Paris then take the bikes by train to Switzerland.

In the event of a no deal exit, the EU visa waiver scheme has been offered to the UK provided we reciprocate, i.e. open our borders to EU citizens.

If that doesn't happen, the I will need a Schengen Visa to do the trip, but, you can't immediately apply for a multi entry visa, you have to build up trust on Single Entry visas. So with a single entry visa, under our planned tour, I would enter France, exit in to Switzerland and then could not enter back in to Germany. Not insurmountable, but annoying and expensive.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

The Brexit discussion has been moved to the appropriate thread. Please reserve this thread specifically for discussion of the impacts on cycle touring.

Thank you.

Thanks - I have found it useful - even if largely for advice re advance train tickets!
― Peter Golkin