Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Post by Slowroad »

Was asked today about my holiday plans for the year (by my hairdresser :D ) and had to say I'd not really got anything planned. "That's not like you!" (makes me wonder if I've banged on about cycle touring just a bit to much...) "No, it's well... I just want to see what happens about.... you know what..." "Ah. Yes."
Just wondered if anyone else is putting off holiday plans. NB - stay specific please :-) Mind you, whatever happens I've got to get my finger out and get a new passport if I want to go anywhere abroad this year!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
whoof

Re: Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Post by whoof »

For the first time since 2002 I'm not going on a European tour this year. But it's just a coincidence. I will be going to Majorca in September.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

No. I am carrying on regardless. I will be flying an EU flag from my panniers as we tour the MontBlanc region. Hoping for smiles and offers of permanent residency.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I am away at the moment. I would normally be home (UK) late March early April, but changed my return to pre Brexit date, just in case of problems at airport.

Also. I don't want to miss a bit of panic buying if the guano hits the fan.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Not sure why the panic. The UK was never a member of the Schengen agreement, the only thing that will change is a passport instead of just a photo ID. That, and a 90 day limit for visits
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

No.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

MarcusT wrote:Not sure why the panic. The UK was never a member of the Schengen agreement, the only thing that will change is a passport instead of just a photo ID. That, and a 90 day limit for visits

Possible changes:

Pound slumping further
EHIC card invalid
No mobile roaming
Long delays at ports and airports

I'm sure there may be other considerations weighing on people's minds, real or imaginary.
honesty

Post by honesty »

simonhill wrote:
MarcusT wrote:Not sure why the panic. The UK was never a member of the Schengen agreement, the only thing that will change is a passport instead of just a photo ID. That, and a 90 day limit for visits

Possible changes:

Pound slumping further
EHIC card invalid
No mobile roaming
Long delays at ports and airports

I'm sure there may be other considerations weighing on people's minds, real or imaginary.

Don’t forget green card and IDP and need to carry log book if your driving over there as well...

We booked a family holiday at the start of April and didn’t click the dates til after we’d done it. Doh.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Holiday booked... just hoping to make it as will be just over 6 weeks post op, but consultant has already said 'No Problem'
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So far, no problems going from England to Scotland. Long may that continue, he says more in hope than certainty. Nothing, it seems, is for ever.
John
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'll be crossing into Derbyshire shortly, not expecting post Brexit problems! :lol:

But seriously, as we aren't part of Schengen crossing into the EU is unlikely to change for holiday travellers, the issues are with freight. As for roaming, EHIC etc - well i've not heard of any end of to those in the short term and anyhow, we lived without them before.

I'm off to Germany in April, Sweden in August and Germany again in December.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

No.
I toured in France long before we joined the European economic community - I voted to remain in - didn't get a vote about joining the European union hence the mess we are in now.
There were passport controls - passport stamped and on my way - now I find that my passport is glanced at and handed back - not much difference there.
British customs IME took much longer - I think they were keen to find "substances, they certainly found my puncture repair kit interesting.
My friend and I would sometimes sit on a bench or in a bus stop to eat and it wasn't unusual for a policeman to approach us and ask for our passport and reasons for being there.
There was also the "Fiche"? which had to be filled in when staying overnight - like a lot of Brits we would use fake names - usually well known criminals - to my knowledge nobody ever read them.
There was no E111 so full insurance was advisable.

The only uncomfortable moment I had was on a family holiday in Italy - on a couple of occasions we went into what was Yugoslavia.
My passport always aroused interest and the border guard would produce a photo album which was closely scrutinised.
I don't think any european country is willing to destroy their tourist industry over this.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We will be visiting France, Corsica, Spain and Portugal later this year and not expecting any problems anywhere. When my Mrs broke her wrist in the Canaries we used our travel insurance not the EH1C. If you are worried about £ slump buy some Euros now, but I think the pound will strengthen. Delays.. why, its at least 2 years before much changes? Three, my mobile provider has free roaming all over the world, why should Brexit change that? Noted Harry and Megan in Morroco and the increase in salad stuff and fruit from Jordan, Israel, Egypt and Turkey the supermarkets are getting ready to dump Spain and Holland if there is any shenanigans. Theres a big world beyond Europe. Apparently European package holidays have never been so cheap, they are smelling the coffee. Dont panic Mr Mainwaring! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Slowroad wrote:Was asked today about my holiday plans for the year (by my hairdresser :D ) and had to say I'd not really got anything planned. "That's not like you!" (makes me wonder if I've banged on about cycle touring just a bit to much...) "No, it's well... I just want to see what happens about.... you know what..." "Ah. Yes."
Just wondered if anyone else is putting off holiday plans. NB - stay specific please :-) Mind you, whatever happens I've got to get my finger out and get a new passport if I want to go anywhere abroad this year!

NO
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Three, my mobile provider has free roaming all over the world, why should Brexit change that?

Your mobile has free roaming because the EU scrapped charges in 2017. Unless it is in Mrs May's deal it will revert after a couple of years. According to the Culture Secretary, if we leave without a deal, providers can add charges as soon as they like.

Be careful what you wish for. You may actually get it.
John