Scotland by bike summer 2020 - travelmate wanted

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fietskabouter

Scotland by bike summer 2020 - travelmate wanted

Post by fietskabouter »

Hello,

I am looking for a travel mate to do North Scotland together, preferably by tent. Planned trip - summer 2020.
The bike trail imagined would go along the east coast and then through the highlands to the west coast with starting point Edinburgh. Castles, nature and other cultural and social highlights.

It's not the first time i am doing trips like this. I am usually doing every two years long trips (1000 km +) average distance a day 100 km.

I live in Rotterdam, The Netherlands,

Please message me if interested or if you have any tips let me know.

Best,
Cristian
cristian.nita@gmail.com
Nigel Laverick

Re: Scotland by bike summer 2020 - travelmate wanted

Post by Nigel Laverick »

If you are camping in Scotland in the summer I am afraid you will be eaten alive by midges. Midges swarm in their thousands,bite and cause itchy spots.Nothing stops them. At that time of year I would use independent hostels but take a midge good for even the shortest stop. I usually go in April or September, even in September I've eaten lunch under a midge hood and Been unable to sit outside my tent in the evening. I would advise going in early April.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I cycle toured in Scotland in May/June. We soon learned to pitch the tent high up enough, away from water and in the wind.....spray deodorant kills any midges in your tent.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[quote="Greystoke"]I cycle toured in Scotland in May/June. We soon learned to pitch the tent high up enough, away from water and in the wind.....spray deodorant kills any midges in your tent

...and yet you still spray it on yourself? :lol:

I never use the stuff myself but I can imagine it works. A guy I play squash with on a Wednesday uses it and just about kills me.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Paulatic wrote:
Greystoke wrote:I cycle toured in Scotland in May/June. We soon learned to pitch the tent high up enough, away from water and in the wind.....spray deodorant kills any midges in your tent

...and yet you still spray it on yourself? :lol:

I never use the stuff myself but I can imagine it works. A guy I play squash with on a Wednesday uses it and just about kills me.

I'm sure Greystoke means that he lit it and used it as a flame thrower :wink:
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

A friend of mine used to say the whisky method is the best for the midges ......... drink enough of it and you won't feel them :D but seriously though all my tours in Scotland have always been done in early may or september , to avoid the midges .