Solar panels

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Oldjohnw

Solar panels

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anyone have any experience of solar panels when touring in the UK?
John
hamster

Re: Solar panels

Post by hamster »

I had a go - you need a big panel to get anything decent in the way of charging. I gave up and fitted a dyno hub instead.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've got an Anker 15W folding panel & a 26,800mAh powerbank. I've found the panel will keep the powerbank charged if left out all day (camping in a fixed location for several days - leave the panel on the ground outside the tent with the electronics tucked under the fly). The powerbank has in turn kept a well used smartphone (probably the biggest power use, & a secondary less used phone if Mrs H is along too), a Garmin GPS computer & a video camera all charged for 5+days without access to mains power. I've used his setup in both (wet) North Wales & the Yorkshire Dales.

I've not yet tried using the panel attached to luggage on the move but would imagine it would have a lower rate of output depending on a number of factors - such as how constant your direction (to position the panel for best charging) the general direction (trying to avoid shading the panel with your body) & how much general shade (a route through a lot of woodland would likely reduce the light levels significantly).

A solar panel is almost certainly better than a dynohub if you are staying put & not cycling for a few days! :D

I've also got the belt & braces option of a 60W 6 output USB charger that can charge everything at once (including 2x2A inputs on the powerbank) should a mains power source present itself.

I've just refound this discussion on the Thorn forums about making a power generating trailer (based on an Xtrawheel single wheel trailer) with dynohub & solar, even trying to figure if it was possible/practical to use the trailer wheel as a wind powered generator when camped.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks for all this. I am usually on the move' stopping a single night at a time in a tent. I carry a usb charger which will top up my phone/iPad and do call at pubs for lunch. Perhaps it is best to stick with that simple solution.
John
1982john

Post by 1982john »

In my view, power banks have all but killed the need for solar panels unless you're on some arctic expedition.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I'm considering getting one. I carry a powerbank and use this to charge my Garmin and phone, but I tend to wild camp a fair bit (the occasional lunch stop may give me chance to grab some sort of charge, but most places I visit don't seem to have charging facilities), so there is the problem of charging the powerbank. I would probably get one of the 15W 3 panel ones and would be interested to hear if a combination of having it strapped over the back of panniers when travelling and then laid out, outside the tent when stopped is likely to be enough to top up a powerbank or not. Most of my trips are in and around the Scottish Islands which probably do not have the best amount of sunshine (or pubs etc. with charging!).
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

I have an old 9W 3 panel solar charger that I still bring on longer tours as a backup for my hubdynamo - I like to stop and smell the roses, so often use it during long breaks in cycling, or when making camp early in the day.

I did use it for a long tour a few years ago as a primary charger strapped on the back of the bike from Holland to Spain & back and would not recommend it as anything dependable. Even in bright sunshine in Spain it generated minimum power. It was really only effective when stopped, in direct sunlight - but then it was effective!

Of course technology has increased significantly since I got mine, but the fact that it's relatively fixed on the bike means that it is operating far from efficiently.

In my humble, a more effective and efficient solution is a dynohub. Decathlon are currently selling Shimano 3W dynohub wheels for cheaper than the price of the dynohub! You'd still need to buy a USB charger though.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Just an aside - how about solar panel wheels:
https://grist.org/living/this-bike-with ... u-can-get/

or any of these variations :D
https://thespokeandwords.wordpress.com/ ... lar-panel/
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This seems to be one of the areas where technology is developing quickly. If the advertised dimensions of this flexible panel are correct, it's only a couple of mm thick. This was the first hit when I googled to there must be plenty more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renogy-Extreme ... 32362&th=1
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

thirdcrank wrote:This seems to be one of the areas where technology is developing quickly. If the advertised dimensions of this flexible panel are correct, it's only a couple of mm thick. This was the first hit when I googled to there must be plenty more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renogy-Extreme ... 32362&th=1

Assume that you also need some kind of charge controller?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The supplementary equipment depends on what you are going to use the juice to power. Caravanners with mains-type equipment need a lot more than somebody who's ok with 12V DC. I claim no expertise. I've a roof covered in solar panels which I've generally thought show how the system's incompatible with cycling. I posted that link to show the way things are developing.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

HobbesOnTour wrote:In my humble, a more effective and efficient solution is a dynohub. Decathlon are currently selling Shimano 3W dynohub wheels for cheaper than the price of the dynohub! You'd still need to buy a USB charger though.

Thanks for this post.

Checked - you referring to this: ?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/26-hybrid-f ... 31687.html

There are campsites in the UK that in season would charge you getting on for that amount for a single night's camp.

And then maybe charge you more on top for, er, charging.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
HobbesOnTour wrote:In my humble, a more effective and efficient solution is a dynohub. Decathlon are currently selling Shimano 3W dynohub wheels for cheaper than the price of the dynohub! You'd still need to buy a USB charger though.

Thanks for this post.

Checked - you referring to this: ?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/26-hybrid-f ... 31687.html

There are campsites in the UK that in season would charge you getting on for that amount for a single night's camp.

And then maybe charge you more on top for, er, charging.

you going to get one then?

doesnt say the rim width

hmm none available in london so cant go have a look :cry:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Free click and collect for london mercalia.

Thanks for the nudge to check tyre size it will take.

May consider for an experiment.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Free click and collect for london mercalia.

Thanks for the nudge to check tyre size it will take.

May consider for an experiment.

yes but still got to buy it first.

though I see you can return any thing so I suppose you could collect then return on the spot if it dont look good? though you would have to put up with the irritating looks from the staff?

if you do get one report back the rim width and general quality.