Long Range Weight Gain?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
maxglide

Long Range Weight Gain?

Postby maxglide » 14 Mar 2019, 8:49am

I watched the Mark Beaumont film 'The man who cycled the world', the other day. I noticed at the end of the ride in Paris (29K km) he looked considerably heavier and less lean than the first half of the ride. I've noticed this in other riders on long tours. I thought perhaps on a long tour, the rider might ease up the pace after a while, take it easy and eat more, but not so in Beaumont's case where he was flat out all the way. Maybe it was due to his penultimate month crossing the US...

Bonefishblues

Re: Long Range Weight Gain?

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Mar 2019, 9:13am

Perhaps more focus on taking in the necessary calories to fuel the effort, and a knowledge that there isn't a fridge that can simply be raided at a the end of the day?

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 14 Mar 2019, 10:18am

I was fortunate enough to ride an event which Mark was on a few years ago, and got chatting to him. One thing he did say, is that it’s very difficult to plan your fuelling, when you have little understanding of the availability and nutritional values of a particular region’s available food. He said it was particularly tricky on the African sections.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Mar 2019, 11:20am

Hi,
If I remember correctly he is also a bit of a veggie too?
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Mar 2019, 12:28pm

Or maybe it's just the body & metabolism adjusting to the new calorie intake / output and reverting to a natural body weight (for him)?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 14 Mar 2019, 12:53pm

I think Mark is unusual. He has the ability to keep food loading wherever he is. Without this he couldn't do what he does.

When I first 'retired' I did a couple of 3 month tours in India. This was pretty tough: bad roads, basic accommodation, etc, but the hardest thing was eating enough. Forget your Friday night curry, rural food is bland, overcooked and not at all appetising. Eating enough to keep going was a concern, particularly if you got a bit sick. I always lost weight on these trips.

Likewise some other hard tours with below par food. Parts of Vietnam and Lao spring to mind as places to lose weight.

NB, there is a big difference to the delicious food you get in the big towns or tourist destinations to what you find in poor rural communities.

In contrast, an easy round the peninsula of Malaysia tour last year saw me reach my heaviest ever. Short easy cycling days, plenty of delicious food - often a bit greasy and worst of all sweet drinks replacing alcohol.

I think the oft heard "you get fitter as you go" about touring is only true to an extent. For most mere mortals we do get fitter, then peak. After that decent food is essential to keep you there and that is often not available in more out of the way places. Add in a health issue, particularly the runs, plus general fatigue, boredom, etc and fitness levels can plummet.

I usually go home over the Christmas/NY break, eat very well and the pounds go back on. Then I head off again to 'use' this weight.

Mark is a freak and I would like to congratulate him on that.