Malega, Spain & Carpignano Salentino, Italy - Solo Cyclist

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ashley_R21

Malega, Spain & Carpignano Salentino, Italy - Solo Cyclist

Post by Ashley_R21 »

I'm a Canadian looking to do some travelling in Spain and Italy over the next month or so and I wanted to reach out to the community on the other side of the ocean and get some insight on safety (I'm a younger female and I'll be travelling on my own), any great groups/shops to ride or rent with, or routes that I shouldn't miss.

I'm looking to do a few longer rides (100-150km) and daily rides of at least 30-60km, but I want to be sure to see some sights along the way.
Is there anything that I should be worried about, is the area fairly safe?

Thanks!
mjr

Re: Malega, Spain & Carpignano Salentino, Italy - Solo Cyclist

Post by mjr »

Malega or Málaga? I can't advise, either way, sadly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Southern Spain, southern Italy – they're very different. And like most places, they're perfectly safe until suddenly they're not.
Italian men have a reputation for being, shall we say, over-attentive in the way they approach young women, but not for being threatening. I suspect that Italian idiots are no more dangerous than idiots anywhere else. Spanish ditto. Hopefully women will be along soon to advise you from experience.
Road-safety-wise, I've found Italian and Spanish drivers to be a lot more considerate to cyclists than the British.
My worst Italian experience was getting attacked by a dog – could happen anywhere I guess.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I found this company. I have yet to try them, but they offer interesting trips for a reasonable price.
Unfortunately their site is only in Italian. Perhaps you can use Google translate

https://www.viaggiareinbici.it/
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Ashley_R21 wrote:I'm a Canadian looking to do some travelling in Spain and Italy over the next month or so and I wanted to reach out to the community on the other side of the ocean and get some insight on safety (I'm a younger female and I'll be travelling on my own), any great groups/shops to ride or rent with, or routes that I shouldn't miss.Thanks!

Southern Spain (Andalucia), southern Italy (you mention the heel); are a long way apart, how do you intend to travel between them would be my first question ?

I know both quite well, Andalucia better...getting very warm (average temps in April/May - 20-25 degrees), choosing Spain, I would suggest Catalonia rather than Andalucia for cycling.

J.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Ashley

Arriving in Malaga I would avoid the coast. Its very built up and very busy. Malaga itself is worth a visit. The three great cities to visit are Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada. At the same time there are many great towns such as Ronda, Arcos de la Frontera, Antequera .... You can get to Ronda from Malaga by bus and busses generally allow bikes. Trains are another possibility but I think the route to Ronda is closed after last years floods.

I've hired bikes from Andalusian Cycling Experience in Montecorto which is north of Ronda. They also organise group rides and cycle tours. Give Ashley (coincidence or what) a ring/email to discuss. he can also do transfers from the airport.

Most of Andalucia is hilly so the routes I'm about to outline do have a number of long but well graded climbs but are very scenic with smashing villages and towns to visit and wander around.

Loop from Ronda. Basically head SW towards Jimena de la Frontera. then N to Ubrique, El Bosque, Grazalema, Zahara de la Sierra, Olvera, Setenil de las Bodegas and back to Ronda. Should take around 2 to 3 weeks touring. Try and take the smaller roads and be prepared to vary.

From Ronda visiting Sevilla and Cordoba from Ronda. NW to Grazalema and Zahara, Coripe, Moron de la Frontera, Sevilla, Castilblanco de los Arroyos, Almaden de la Plata, Cazalla de la Sierra, Hornachuelos, Cordoba, Priego de Cordoba, Antequera, Sierra de Yeguas, Olvera and back to Ronda. Again look for the smaller roads.

East of Ronda I'd head for the Alpujarras and Granada. Please post if you would like any route suggestions.

Weather wise it can be hot and has been said Sevilla averages 25C to 27C in April to May. However, most of the route I've outlined are in the mountains which tend to be a lot cooler and temperature peak around 4 o'clock in the afternoon local time. So if it is hot set off early and finish early.

Cannot comment on the safety of a solo female traveller but as a male I've never felt intimidated or threatened anywhere in Spain.

If you need any more let me know.

Cheers, HarryD
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I would add that my North American friends do find the entire siesta thing a bit odd. Don't plan on shops/businesses being open in the heat of the early afternoon (restaurants will be). And large shops are limited to the number of Sundays per year they can open, so expect closures without any explanation.

Southern Spain is a beautiful country, with lots of history and vibrant places to see - plus some large concrete beach resorts.

I would also ask how you're getting from Spain to Southern Italy. There's a ferry from Barcelona to Cittavechia near Rome.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”