kyle of lochalsh to hadrians wall

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gbnz

Re: kyle of lochalsh to hadrians wall

Post by gbnz »

nick12 wrote:Gbnz I have been in the area a few times done route 72 hadrians cycle way and pennine cycleway. And your right.hayden bridge is good. I want to finish my ride at the sycamore tree on the wall near steel rigg. Have been to steel rigg a couple of times but didnt realise the tree is near there . Do you know its location?.

Sorry, never been certain of its' location. On another subject, had an idea that I recognized the West Highland Way! Walked it in 2009 think I was heading to Skye, definately worth a stroll (NB. Especially across Rannoch Moor)
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Sycamore gap. It's just up from the Once Brewed hostel.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2678
Agitate, educate, organise.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Every time i see the sycamore tree on look north i think id love to go there. I actually camped at steel rigg once, unaware i was so close to it. Hopefully shall get there this time. Thanks for the links to its location.
I did consider the route down mull mick how did you find it And did the ferrys work out ok.
This trip is actually me penultimate part of a jogle which ive been doing over the past 2 years. Just the section from cardiff to LE to do hopefully later in the year.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Didnt notice the link to your blog mickf . Started reading it shall have to continue tommorow but enjoying it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
It isn't actually a blog as such, but a written account in order from start to finish.

My account has been hacked. I can't get into any of my blogs now. When I message them, they don't recognise my password and when I ask them to send me a new one, the contact details are completely wrong. Hopefully it's not actually hacked, but a cock-up at their end.
Either way, I'm stuffed, but it doesn't matter, as if I want to do another blog, I'll re-register.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If you do go up Greenhead bank onto the military road then I'd be more inclined to go down the Stangate to Warden and on to Hexham rather than dropping straight down the Haydon Bridge.
But turn left after crossing the South Tyne bridge to follow the cycle track to Hexham station as that way is flat.
There may well be better train connections there.

Luck .......... :D
nick12

Post by nick12 »

A report back about my tour which i finished on monday. Set of from kyle of lochalsh thursday morning turned on to the Armadale road and the sign said next ferry 10-40am so got a spirt on and made it as the ferry came in to dock.£3 for footpassenger and bike.followed the A830 to join the A861 a nice quiet narrow road.camped by the loch with a good view of ben nevis.
Friday had about 10 miles to ardgaur and the free ferry to corran which goes back and forth and takes about half an hour to load and do the short crossing.
The A82 had a cycle track to glencoe then it was onto the narrow road. Fantastic scenery but i didnt dare look around while cycling so kept stopping to admire the great views. The A82 must be one of the most dangeeous roads ive ever ridden it was wheel trim alley. The amount of wing mirrors and wheel trims and other parts of cars was unbelievable. Twice i nearly got hit by campervans which were inches off hitting me. At one point i was parked off the road the bike lent against a sign and a coach was coming down the valley a wagon heading uphill came off the road and scraped my rear pannier.frightening. I was relieved to reach Crianlarich and join the A85 which was much wider and less traffic. At Killin i joined ncn route 7 an old railwayline with nice fine gravel. Being in lomand and the trussocks national park camping was restricted near villages and was signed when it was and wasnt allowed. Camped above the loch about 8 miles before Callander.
Saturday following the route which norman h segested joined the A 81 to port of mentieth, arnprior, fintry, carron bridge, kilsyth,skirting around airdrie, salsburgh to carluke. Which was mainly small quiet roads. A good route but i was shocked at the amount of flytipping and rubbish which littered the road side. After taking a wrong turn at carluke I went via hazelbank to lesmahagow and onto ncn74 found a quiet hidden spot to camp for the night.
Sunday continued down route 74, very little traffic and came off at Moffat to get a few supplies. From Moffat the route got tougher through the hills of the borders through wampreyand boreland i decided to take the back road to corrie and on to bentpath on the lovely backroad. After langholm followed B6318 which was closed mending a bridge but got through camped in the woods over the bridge.
Monday carried on along the B6318 over the many hills all the way to once brewed and turned off to steel rigg. Went through a gate along a track the halfmile to the robinhood tree. Mission acomplished. Followed the militery road to the turn off to hayden bridge and my train home.
Weather was good apart from the headwind which i had all the way but had a great ride.
Thanks for all the route advice which was better than the route i initially had planed.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

That's a great route. I might consider similar after I've bagged this Jogle.. In July!