kyle of lochalsh to hadrians wall

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nick12

kyle of lochalsh to hadrians wall

Post by nick12 »

Hi folks trains are booked with bike to kyle of lochalsh and a return ticket from carlisle to newcastle and on to york this easter have 5 full days to do roughly 350 mile so roughly 70 miles a day.
The route which i am planing on doing is this:
Morning start from kyle down skye to armadale.
Ferry to mallaig ( not sure of ferry times as yet).
A830 to kinlocheil.
A861 to Ardgour.
Ferry to corran. (Again not sure of ferry times as yet).
A82 via glencoe, rannock moor, bridge of orchy.
West Highland Way to Tyndrum. (anybody know what this section is like as planning on 28mm tyres).
A82 via loch lomond. ( or is it possoble to continue along the WHW down the opposite side of the loch by bike. Surface and time are what im thinking).
Continue south to dumbarton on to route 7 and 74 through glasgow ( which i presume is a cycle track).
Looking at back roads heading south east to join the B7078 near kirkmuirhill.
Join B7076 alongside M74 to just after beattock.
Cross the M74 heading to boreland.
B723 to Eskdalemuir.
B709 to langholm.
B6318 to gilsland and on into haltwhistle time permitting.
If needs be i can go direct to carlisle down B7076 lockerbie, gretna. But I am hoping to end at Haltwhistle.
I was wondering what people with knowledge of the region think. Is there parts you would change, different routes and is the A82 a busy road. Any feed back and suggestion on places to visit would be appreciated. I will be camping every night along the way.
Norman H

Re: kyle of lochalsh to hadrians wall

Post by Norman H »

The A82 through Glen Coe and across Rannoch Moor is a nice route but not for the feint hearted. I've done it the other way as part of LEJOG and I enjoyed it but it may well be busy at Easter time.

I'm pretty sure that the WHW wont be suitable on 28mm tyres. I've no great experience other than I stayed at the By The Way Hostel at Tyndrum and walked the short section between there and the pub. I definitely wouldn't ride it on 28mm tyres.

If you want to include some traffic free sections you might consider bypassing Loch Lomond and instead take the A85 from Crianlarich to Lix Toll where you can pick up Route 7 all the way down Strathyre to Callander. Continue south via Lake of Montieth to Fintry then east along the Carron Valley to Carron Bridge then south to Kilsythe. You can continue south via Airdrie, Schotts,Carluke, and Lanark to pick up the B7078 at Happendon.
irc

Post by irc »

Don't even think about the West Highland Way after Tyndrum. By that time you are past the worst stretch of the A82.

The Glen Coe to Tyndrum section is narrow and carries fast heavy traffic. South of Tyndrum it is a bit wider to the top of Loch Lomond. Down the lochside to Tarbet it is narrow but twisty enough to slow traffic right down

South of Tarbet there is long stretches of cycle path between the road and the loch.

Look for yourself of Google Street view.

PS really no WHW. Some bits the bike will be carried. Not even pushed. It would cost you hours
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Unless you really want visit Eskdalemuir I wouldn’t go that way to Langholm.
1st choice, as part of a longer ride, would be Moffat> Boreland> Corrie Common> pick up B7068 @ paddock hole.
If I was tired and wanted to avoid hills I’d go Lockerbie> Ecclefechen> Middlebie> Waterbeck>B722 >B7068
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the feedback its good to get opinions of routes and alternative suggestions. Ive never been in that region. Shall look on the map at your suggestions and see how they would work out. I dont mine hills infact i like the hills. Was debating taking my mtb tourer but with limited time i think my road tourer is the best option. WHW sounds slow and hard on the bike so shall take your advice and avoid that section.
Paulatic i dont need to go to eskdalemuir but it looked scenic that way on the satelite view but i will look at your route and see. I believe you live in that area and im sure you no it well so will have a look. Thanks for the feedback.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

There are a couple of alternatives to The A82 through Glen Coe and Rannoch Moor. The most obvious is to follow Route 78 south from the Corran ferry via Ballachulish to the bridge at Connel and then follow the A85 to Tyndrum.

Another option if time allows would be to ignore the Corran ferry and stay on Morvern, continue on towards Strontian, and take A884 to Lochaline and the ferry to Mull. Take another ferry from Craignure to Oban and approach the Connel bridge from there.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

nick12 wrote:.
Paulatic i dont need to go to eskdalemuir but it looked scenic that way on the satelite view but i will look at your route and see. I believe you live in that area and im sure you no it well so will have a look. Thanks for the feedback.

If you want scenic then just as you get to Paddock Hole there’s a wee lane takes you over the top and meets the B709 just before Benty (Bentpath) That’s a favourite of mine but honestly it’s all scenic around here. :P

E2E info
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Paulatic your latest sugestion to the B709 is that the water of mik road? Just been looking at that.
Your previou route moffat boreland corrie common paddock hole B7068 is a route i highlighted on my map aswell as it happens. The flatter route via ecclefechen waterbeck ive now highlighted if im wornout.
Norman h that route of yours A85 fintry airdrie looks like a winner. I dont really want to go into glasgow really but would have liked to see lock lomond but like you say easter its going to be busy and i will look more into that route.
The mull route i did look at doing that way but thought with all the ferrys id gove it a miss. Much appreciated your input guys . I shall check out the satelite view and put the routes in to cycle travel over the next few days.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes that’s the water of milk and point of interest Thomas Telford is a son of Benty and there is a small TT museum there.

E2E info
irc

Post by irc »

If you are taking your MTB tourer that opens up options. From the Ski slopes in Glen Coe to Victoria Bridge the WHW is an old military road which is perfectly rideable on 26x2 tyres. Then a single track road takes you to Bridge of Orchy.

Then either as you were south or .....

Follow either the WHW or A82 to Auch Farm (south end of Ben Dorrain) then go under the railway viaduct on the south side of the river through them. Follow the track round to Loch Lyon. First section is a bit rough but rideable. From Loch Lyon the track is good quality all the way to the dam.

Then the tarmac road over into Glen Lochay and the single track road to Killin. Thereafter you can get onto the NCN route past Strathyre down to Callander.

WHW past Corrie Ba.
WHW past Corrie Ba.

Obviously the road is faster but the above route is far better quality. You will meet a fair number of walkers on the WHW but almost all are going S-n so will see you in plenty time. On the Loch Lyon section you are likely to see nobody. Probably no phone signal there either so appropriate caution at the small river crossings between the WHW and Loch Lyon. Not the place to break an ankle travelling solo.

One of the fords between the WHW and Loch Lyon.
One of the fords between the WHW and Loch Lyon.

Edit - I believe the track is complete round the north and south sides of Loch Lyon. I have only done the south side. That is the shorter route anyway.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

nick12 wrote:B6318 to gilsland and on into haltwhistle time permitting.

Gisland to Haltwhistle on the B6318? At Greenhead you've got a brief, near vertical climb on the B6318 rising away from a tributary to the River Tyne. If you've done that climb, rather than dropping down immediately to Halthwhistle, it'd be worth following the B6318 for another few miles and getting on the Carlisle / Newcastle train at Haydon Bridge a few miles down the road.

You've done the climb and the B6318 (Military Road) is at a height, giving worthwhile views over the Northern end of the Pennines, Tyne valley (And Hadrians Wall if you look carefully/make a slight diversion). Though at a height, it's fairly flat and almost always with the wind behind you, given that you'd be heading East
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Paulatic i will have to see how I feel and how I am for time on the section to langholm. Youve given me a few option to consider there shall have a good look at the routes tonight.
Gbnz I have been in the area a few times done route 72 hadrians cycle way and pennine cycleway. And your right.hayden bridge is good. I want to finish my ride at the sycamore tree on the wall near steel rigg. Have been to steel rigg a couple of times but didnt realise the tree is near there . Do you know its location?
Irc great photos and info regarding WHW. That looks like a bikepacking tour all to its self so shall leave that for another day. If i had more time i would use my MTB tourer but its a much steadier pace and time is against me especially if the weather turns. I all most had to give up a couple of years ago on the section from john o groats to bettyhill with rain and a hurricane force wind. Just called it a day and got put the wind. Made up the lost milage over the next 3 days though.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Good point about the weather. You can expect just about anything at that time of year in Scotland. Another good reason for avoiding Rannoch Moor I would have thought.

Incidentally if you want a more detailed description of the route via Callander, let me know. I can send you a PM or post it here.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sycamore.. and in my mailbox this morning https://www.komoot.com/highlight/615897

E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I rode Kyle to Whitby during my Grand Tour.
http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com

I crossed the Skye Bridge and rode down through Skye and crossed over to Mallaig via the ferry. From there, I went south of Loch Eil and crossed the Corran Ferry and made my to Oban, then down The Mull to cross over to Arran from Claonaig.
Then round Arran and crossed to Ardrossan from Brodick, before going via Dumfries and Galloway to Carlisle, and Grinton to Whitby.

No doubt I crossed Hadrian's Wall somewhere.
Mick F. Cornwall