Touring around Cornwall

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
joeyh

Touring around Cornwall

Post by joeyh »

I'm hoping to do a few days of touring around Cornwall and wonder if anyone has any advice on the best areas/routes with coastal campsites en route.
Thanks!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Touring around Cornwall

Post by Mick F »

Welcome to the forum! :D

Cornwall eh?
I've been everywhere.

Campsites, not so hot on those as I don't do camping. I do know, however, that the whole coastline is littered with them. Google maps will help.

As for coastline, be prepared for hills. Not many of them long, but they are frequent and some of them very steep. It's hard work.
Best coastline I reckon, is the road between Hayle and St Just along the north coast of the far west.
Another good one is right in the far north from Morewenstow all the way down to Padstow, via Coombe, Crackington Haven, Boscastle/Tintagel and Port Isaac.

Inland, it's not so entertaining, but still hilly. The northern and eastern sides of Bodmin Moor are nice and so is south of the Truro/St Austell A390 and the Roseland Peninsula.

I say again. Be prepared for hills.
Mick F. Cornwall
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Haven't done much in the way of touring round Cornwall but...

The upper end of the camel trail is really picturesque but come from the east to enjoy he downhill. Did a family over night from Marhamchurch to Wensford bridge on sustrans trail. It's hilly! Further west, St Ives to Lands End an along the south coast is gorgeous and rollling rather than steep.. The Cornwall coast to coast isn't pretty but it's interesting and a quick way of getting from one coast to the other.

Don't forget Cornwall starts further east than you think and there are some nice rides from the Devon border.

Is this any help?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just inside Cornwall Looe has a lovely campsite just outside on the south western side cheap and freindly. West Wayland's if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers James
whoof

Post by whoof »

I can recommend the ride from Mounts Bay out to Land's End and then back along to St Ives. Try the all day breakfast at the Book Cafe in St Just there are small campsites that won't appear on the internet such as the one at Gurnard's Head which is cheap and probably basic.
joeyh

Post by joeyh »

Wonderful! super helpful — thanks so much everyone. Looks like I'm in for a hilly ride, whichever route I take! :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We stayed at a cottage in Marazion (overlooking St Michaels Mount), a couple of years ago. We did a number of day rides out from there. From Penzance, we rode down to Mousehole, then up a massively steep hill (contemplated walking, even with a triple chainset) and made our way through the lanes to Lands End. Then followed the coast road north through St Just and Zennor to St Ives (another massively steep hill in St Ives). We did another ride, inland, steadily climbing past Praze an Beeble to Redruth and then down to the north coast at Portreath. Here we met a couple with a tandem, buggy trailer and a young baby, who were touring around and camping. We saw them again out near Land End a couple of days later. From Portreath, we rode along the north coast to Gwithian and back to Hayle, then back to Marazion.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'd find somewhere less crowded that you can see. Narrow lanes might be nice if they are traffic free but not with grockle traffic, prices are inflated by furreners and did someone mention the hills? :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grockles are in Devon and it's a Devon word.

Emmets are in Cornwall.
Emmet is Cornish for ant. They swarm all over the place. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:Grockles are in Devon and it's a Devon word.

Emmets are in Cornwall.
Emmet is Cornish for ant. They swarm all over the place. :lol:

Grockles are everywhere - we get flocks of them up here in the PD and GOC but not thankfully in W.Country volumes!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but what's all this North Coast bias ? :) If you're unlucky you stagger up to the top of the hill only to find you're now heading into a sou-westerly and making even less progress. At least down South you get a bit more protection from the wind. And there's the chance to let the ferry take the strain occasionally (Plymouth -Cremyll, Polruan-Fowey etc). You've got movie sites Luxulyan, Roche, both in Omen III), Eden project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan, and if you've seen one scat bal you've seen them all, china clay country has a beauty of it's own.
Oh and don't forget the Lizard is the southern-most point in the UK, Lands End is just the western most point in Cornwall.
Of course as a St Blazey boy I might just be a little bit biased :wink:
joeyh

Post by joeyh »

CliveyT wrote:Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but what's all this North Coast bias ? :) If you're unlucky you stagger up to the top of the hill only to find you're now heading into a sou-westerly and making even less progress. At least down South you get a bit more protection from the wind. And there's the chance to let the ferry take the strain occasionally (Plymouth -Cremyll, Polruan-Fowey etc). You've got movie sites Luxulyan, Roche, both in Omen III), Eden project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan, and if you've seen one scat bal you've seen them all, china clay country has a beauty of it's own.
Oh and don't forget the Lizard is the southern-most point in the UK, Lands End is just the western most point in Cornwall.

Amazing! Thanks so much. I'd love to cycle the Lizard area... any great campsites that you know of down there? And is there a specific route in the Plymouth area that you know of? I like the sound of some ferry hopping!

Cheers
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Last time I was down there was out of season (aft end of September) I stayed mostly in pub gardens or pub campsites. TBH I spent as much time drinking and playing Euchre as I did cycling, but then I was back 'ome so I didn't really have anything I needed to see. That said you can't spit anywhere in the Lizard without hitting someone's tent so I don't think finding somewhere to pitch a tent is a real problem (unless you turn up on spec the week after schools have broken up).
Regarding ferry-hopping, some of the smaller ones might require a bit of manhandling to get the bike on board. All the ones I've been on take bikes, and I've never had a problem, but they are really all foot ferries so you might need to do a bit of lifting. That said once you're on board you can just sit back and take in the view.
One option is the Cremyll ferry from Stonehouse in Plymouth to Cremyll park. There are a number of routes (on and off road) from here down to Cawsand/Kingsand, and then you're on the southern coast road. Next ferry would be into Fowey, either from Polruan or Bodinnick. Then if you go via the Fal estuary (3rd largest natural harbour in the World) you'd have to decide how much you want to raid the piggy bank to decide how much ferry you can afford
whoof

Post by whoof »

joeyh wrote:
CliveyT wrote:Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but what's all this North Coast bias ? :) If you're unlucky you stagger up to the top of the hill only to find you're now heading into a sou-westerly and making even less progress. At least down South you get a bit more protection from the wind. And there's the chance to let the ferry take the strain occasionally (Plymouth -Cremyll, Polruan-Fowey etc). You've got movie sites Luxulyan, Roche, both in Omen III), Eden project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan, and if you've seen one scat bal you've seen them all, china clay country has a beauty of it's own.

Amazing! Thanks so much. I'd love to cycle the Lizard area... any great campsites that you know of down there? And is there a specific route in the Plymouth area that you know of? I like the sound of some ferry hopping!

Cheers

If you want to ride on the Lizard and do some ferries then try King Harry Ferry. You can ride from St Just In Roseland (not to be confused with St Just near Land's End) past Falmouth, Helford Passage, Gweek and out to the Lizard. Supposedly the ferry is £1 for bikes but I don't remember the last time I was charged.
https://www.falriver.co.uk/getting-abou ... arry-ferry

Roskillys at St Kevern do nice ice cream.
https://www.roskillys.co.uk/Visit_The_F ... am_Parlour

If you go past Helston the Handy Shop at Sithney (also known as Cornwall Photo Gifts) is a much used cyclists cafe for tea and cake.
https://oldsite.falmouthwheelers.co.uk/ ... ?p=custom7
fossala

Post by fossala »

whoof wrote:
joeyh wrote:

Cheers

If you want to ride on the Lizard and do some ferries then try King Harry Ferry. You can ride from St Just In Roseland (not to be confused with St Just near Land's End) past Falmouth, Helford Passage, Gweek and out to the Lizard. Supposedly the ferry is £1 for bikes but I don't remember the last time I was charged.
https://www.falriver.co.uk/getting-abou ... arry-ferry

Roskillys at St Kevern do nice ice cream.
https://www.roskillys.co.uk/Visit_The_F ... am_Parlour

If you go past Helston the Handy Shop at Sithney (also known as Cornwall Photo Gifts) is a much used cyclists cafe for tea and cake.
https://oldsite.falmouthwheelers.co.uk/ ... ?p=custom7

The quid goes to charity, there is a charity box to put it in.