Amsterdam Airport question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Amsterdam Airport question

Post by Woodtourer »

We will be flying out of Schipol ,on Iceland Air, at the end of our tour. Planning to use our plastic bags for our bikes. Iceland Air states these are acceptable. Has anyone had a problem at Schipol with a bagged bike?
steve71ni

Re: Amsterdam Airport question

Post by steve71ni »

Hi, you have to put your bike in a box. They sell cardboard boxes at the airport. Was around 23 Euro last time I did it in 2014.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
pal

Post by pal »

I've used a bag at Schipol without problems (but it was a Ground Effect bag, which disguises the bike slightly more effectively than the CTC one...).
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Since posting I contacted both Iceland Air and Schipol. Schipol stated that as long as the airline accepts bikes in bags,and Iceland Air does, there is no problem.
One more thing not to worry about!
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

What are you going to do with the bag once landed, and if you have to scrap it, what about getting another for the return trip?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve used CTC bags at schipol, summer 2016. No problem then. Very smooth exercise.

Arrivals baggage was a total nightmare though but I think you’re flying into a different airport.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

So here is our plan. I have 2 ebike boxes lined up. Iceland Air has a very generous boxes allowance.
Will tuck the bags in with our gear and pack in our rack pack while touring. Then when we get to Amsterdam I will buy some tape and cable ties and bag it at the airport. This worked well bin Copenhagen last year when we flew out.
Thought I would use the box idea on the outbound flight to be able to build in a bit more protection.
pal

Post by pal »

Sounds like an excellent plan!